Malaysia reopening in March 1

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Malaysia reopening in March 1

Post by kagi »

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 8 (Reuters) - Malaysia's coronavirus recovery council on Tuesday said it has recommended a full reopening of borders as early as March 1 without mandatory quarantine for travellers, as part of plans to accelerate economic recovery.

The Southeast Asian nation has shut its borders since March 2020 and froze the entry of foreign workers to try to contain novel coronavirus outbreaks.

The recommendation comes as neighbours waive quarantine requirements to attract vaccinated tourists, including Thailand, the Philippines and Singapore.

Thailand on Monday said it was eyeing travel bubbles with Malaysia and China.

Muhyiddin Yassin, a former premier and chairperson of the National Recovery Council (NRC), a government advisory body, said travellers would have to undergo COVID-19 screening before departure and on arrival.

"This means tourists can visit, investors can enter... It means AirAsia (AIRA.KL) can fly again, as an example," he told a news conference, referring to the Malaysia-based budget carrier.

At present, Malaysia allows quarantine-free entry to people from Singapore as part of a bilateral arrangement.

Daily coronavirus infections in Malaysia have surged in recent weeks to their highest in four months, driven by the Omicron variant.
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Malaysia COVID-19 panel recommends full border reopening in March

Post by kagi »

edit was supposed to have this heading

Malaysia COVID-19 panel recommends full border reopening in March
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Malaysia reopening in March 1

Post by sigmoid »

Apparently, there are concerns that Malaysia may lure tourists away from Thailand if they can offer a more convenient entry policy.

That would of course be another nail in the coffin that is the Thai tourism industry.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

sigmoid wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:21 pm Apparently, there are concerns that Malaysia may lure tourists away from Thailand if they can offer a more convenient entry policy.

That would of course be another nail in the coffin that is the Thai tourism industry.
Perhaps the Thais see that everyone is eating "their" cake and come around as well. :popcorn:
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

sigmoid wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:21 pm Apparently, there are concerns that Malaysia may lure tourists away from Thailand if they can offer a more convenient entry policy.

Does Thailand have anything to offer the more affluent, “high quality” types of tourists they are trying to attract, that Malaysia doesn’t?

Unless the sole purpose of your vacation is to get drunk and laid for as cheap as possible, there are many other countries that outcompete Thailand. Come to think of it, if I want to get drunk and laid as cheaply as possible, I’d go to to Cambodia or the Philippines. Thailand still wins if you demand more advanced infrastructure, like gogos and open-air beer bars.

For the majority of tourists (quality ones, anyway), who just want to take their family somewhere warm to lay on a beach, Americans/Canadians can go to Mexico, and Europeans can go to Spain. Chinese can go to Sihanoukville and enjoy a more familiar environment, which they seem to prefer.

The more Thailand clamps down on their seedy nightlife, the more every other country in the region starts to look just as good, if not better.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Ryan754326 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:13 pm

The more Thailand clamps down on their seedy nightlife, the more every other country in the region starts to look just as good, if not better.
...If the Philippines would offer decent food they would attract more tourists too. The first SEA country who will fully legalize pot will win the race for the tourist buck IMHO.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

truffledog wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:37 am
Ryan754326 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:13 pm

...If the Philippines would offer decent food they would attract more tourists too. The first SEA country who will fully legalize pot will win the race for the tourist buck IMHO.
Agree with you on both points.

I’m surprised Cambodia hasn’t legalized weed yet, considering that you can already smoke it in certain establishments or eat it on a pizza there. Makes me think someone is protecting their monopoly.

I think the weed laws in SEA will fall like dominos in the same way that the covid rules probably will soon. Once the first country in the region does it, all of the other countries nearby will be tripping over each other to be the next. I think the main barrier right now is public perception, and some hangover policies from the drug wars that were pushed on them by western countries, but I’m totally uneducated on the subject, and just speculating on that.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Looks like there's the usual confusion and contradiction between the right and left hands:

Malaysia's Cabinet yet to discuss National Recovery Council proposal to reopen borders
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/co ... rs-2493501
Malaysia's Cabinet has yet to discuss the National Recovery Council (MPN)’s proposal to reopen the country's borders by Mar 1, Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob said on Friday (Feb 11).

Mr Ismail Sabri added that Malaysia's health ministry had yet to provide feedback on the proposal to the Cabinet for evaluation.

On Tuesday, MPN chairman Muhyiddin Yassin said that the council had agreed to a full opening of Malaysia's borders from as early as Mar 1 without the need for mandatory quarantine.

“We must find a balance between wanting to protect the tourism industry and the people’s health, so the health ministry will look into it in detail and propose to the Cabinet on the next step," said Mr Ismail Sabri, who is also UMNO vice-president.

“As of today, our borders are still closed … there’s no discussion yet to reopen,” he told reporters at an event.

He added that the government is aware of the woes faced by the tourism industry - which has been badly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic - but does not want the entry of foreign tourists to cause a spike in cases in the country.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

there's a lot more thailand than bars an easy girls:

its a great country to drive around an experience lots of things;
friendly people, world class resorts, beaches, fantastic scenery, fantastic food, temples, shopping, islands, water sports, mtn climbing, golf an on and on
in fact Thailand has something for everyone at every age, hence the reason many visitors to the country are repeat visitors.

as to Malaysia, been all over and its a nice country, friendly people, great food an the island of Penang is one of my favorite se Asian places, but one cant compare it to thailand

Stats agree 2019
Malaysia apx 26 million
Thailand 39 million

FYI
as far as legalizing weed and expecting it to increase tourist numbers, i doubt it.
most states have great legal weed and in the next few years every state will.
Europe lots of countries have legal weed
same goes for South America
not to sure about law in Australia or Russia

Dont worry about thailand, its will bounce back, it always has :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by kagi »

The government has said no to opening on 1 March. Not sure it is related but the guy who suggested it now has covid
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic