Robotic China... the end to cheap labor jobs?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Robotic China... the end to cheap labor jobs?

Post by OrangeDragon »

here's one from 2010 hinting at the AI programmers working on the trade engines... they all have a lot more going on behind the scenes than they publish:
http://www.wired.com/2010/12/ff_ai_flashtrading/
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

clippy wrote:more jobs for programmers though :)
Only until programmers have created a programmer AI, Google is already working on that[1]. IBM has their focus on neurosynaptic chips[2]. Nano technology is a fact. Chinese researchers are editing genomes on human embryos[3]. Quantum computing is on the rise[4].

We are living in an era where the ethics of artificial intelligence is an accepted academic field. The human race will either be enslaved by its own creation, for the sake of harvesting resources, or die as the God it pretends to be. We are a decade away from no longer being the top of the food chain. Our own biological evolution can't keep up with the technological developments.

Some may call it dystopia, I call it utopia. When nobody has a need to work for survival, we can finally focus collectively on creativity. Ego will be long gone, and materialism will become a joke of the past. Intellectuals will, finally, have their ultimate revenge against the enslavement that has lasted this long. So long elitist politician and wallstreet suckers, our machines are coming for you.

1: http://observer.com/2014/10/googles-new ... am-itself/
2: http://research.ibm.com/cognitive-compu ... hips.shtml
3: http://www.technologyreview.com/news/53 ... an-embryo/
4: http://www.technologyreview.com/news/53 ... -reliable/
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

OrangeDragon wrote:here's one from 2010 hinting at the AI programmers working on the trade engines... they all have a lot more going on behind the scenes than they publish:
http://www.wired.com/2010/12/ff_ai_flashtrading/
Stock trading is more hacked than people like to admit.
On September 15, 2011, beginning at 12:48:54.600, there was a time warp in the trading of Yahoo! (YHOO) stock. HFT has reached speeds faster than time itself. Up to 190 milliseconds into the future, or 0.19 fantaseconds is the record so far. It all happened in just over one second of trading, the evidence buried under an avalanche of about 19,000 quotations and 3,000 individual trade executions. The facts of the matter are indisputable. Based on official exchange timestamps, there is unmistakable proof that YHOO trades were executed on quotes that didn't exist until 190 milliseconds later!
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/its-offic ... rld-record

Ted Kaczynski was right. The battle is now. If one wants to save mankind as we know it, primitive, then now is the time to pick up arms. I am personally more happy about a technologically driven new world order then a Bilderberg led one. I believe technology will set us free - globally. Thus, artificial intelligence and machine learning is my weapon of choice. Each to their own.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

OrangeDragon wrote:how about how technical jobs servicing said robots lead to higher quality of life than sweatshops. increased and more consistent production results in increased demand, resulting in increased jobs taking care of the increase in robots to meet said demand. change is hard, but progress is essential. the idea that we shouldn't use the means available to us, as a species, to be as efficient as possible in the name of creating more jobs is ludacris and extremely short sighted.
Just some ideas,

Maximum efficiency in any market economy's AS in the long run, should not be set at maximum for several important reasons. I believe one of them to be resource relevant. Produce, produce till it all runs out. Without oil how long will it be before LRAS starts shifting dramatically to the left.
I'm more inclined to economize for the future generations and install regulations on supply, so that the present populations of any given economy has a good standard of living. An Indian clothing manufacturer may well have his factory producing at around 90% proficiency, but surely his workers shouldn't need to forced by him to work and sleep by his machine to achieve the 90%.

I'm not really sure you followed through with your model enough OD. Once the thousand's of workers have been made redundant, where do they go? Into training as rob teks? The factory is introducing rob teks to reduce labor costs as well as improve efficiency.
He wants to make more money. That, as A Smith says, is irrelevant as he will be doing society great good even if he doesn't know or intend it himself. I have a big issue with that last statement.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Just started reading " The Innovators " by Walter Isaacson, tracing the origins of technological advance, the collaborations etc, so strikes a chord with OD's original post. The opening chapter starts way back with Lord Byron's daughter and draws a parallel between the start of the industrial revolution and the digital revolution. Lord Byron, who was a Luddite, decried in Parliament the first steps in the mechanisation of factories that were going to put thousands out of work with no job options. And yet here we are.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote:Just started reading " The Innovators " by Walter Isaacson, tracing the origins of technological advance, the collaborations etc, so strikes a chord with OD's original post. The opening chapter starts way back with Lord Byron's daughter and draws a parallel between the start of the industrial revolution and the digital revolution. Lord Byron, who was a Luddite, decried in Parliament the first steps in the mechanisation of factories that were going to put thousands out of work with no job options. And yet here we are.
What with millions out of work with no job options you mean? :ROFL2:
What they said came true under Thatcher.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Cowshed Cowboy wrote:Just started reading " The Innovators " by Walter Isaacson, tracing the origins of technological advance, the collaborations etc, so strikes a chord with OD's original post. The opening chapter starts way back with Lord Byron's daughter and draws a parallel between the start of the industrial revolution and the digital revolution. Lord Byron, who was a Luddite, decried in Parliament the first steps in the mechanisation of factories that were going to put thousands out of work with no job options. And yet here we are.
What with millions out of work with no job options you mean? :ROFL2:
What they said came true under Thatcher.
I did my dissertation at college on Nissan setting up a modern manufacturing plant in Sunderland with modern Japanese work practices. Outdated inefficient and poor quality work practices plagued the UK automobile sector for decades, remember Linwood JSP. I think it represented change for the better and continues to adapt to changing economic circumstances. Adapt or die was a theme mentioned in a thread we had recently.

At the time of the above you remember UB40's iconic hit 1 in 10, it's now 1 in 5.8. Maybe I'm biased because I stay in a primarily technological area when in the UK, but from a manufacturing viewpoint I think we needed to reform JSP.

Being careful not to drag this too far off topic into political views. :thumb:
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I always thought the Chinese were robots anyway.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

If robots build the robots is that reverse cannibalism.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

It depends which gear the conveyor belt is in.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic