GOLF?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Singapore Slinger
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: GOLF?

Post by Singapore Slinger »

Is a good walk spoiled. - Mark Twain.
AlexJonesCrab
Expatriate
Australia

Post by AlexJonesCrab »

Eeyan wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:11 pm
AlexJonesCrab wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:51 pm
Eeyan wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:36 pm11th March.
Well, Ill be in PP from 1/3.....ive got four weeks and plan on siem reap, PP, sianoukville and Kampot, no set dates.....you bring your own clubs?
Ive heard of blokes that dont bring a suitcase...they stuff a few toiletries and clothes in the golf bag....thats it!!
Yeah I always use the golf flight bag as my suitcase, most airlines allow this as part of your luggage allowance.

Fully loaded with clubs, shoes, balls etc it works out under 20kg, chuck in toiletries and clothes etc it works well, eg Singapore Airlines allowance is 25kg. Then you have your hand luggage, I just use a small holdall and that doubles up for taking a change of clothes if you're having a shower 🚿 after a hot game of golf.

I need to have sensible days in between the debauchery of the evenings 😅
Thanks for the info. I'm going to do that, buy one of the "golf flight bags".
Indeed, one needs to be flexible, juggling conflicting mongering priorities, not to mention hangovers......golf is kind of secondary!! LOL
Are you flying solo or got wingman/men?
Im quite comfortable flying solo.....most of me mates are married for some stupid reason....HAHAH
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

This is always a great option - hair of the dog + golf...https://theclub-pp.com/#about
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Just be careful of the heat, 35c+ in blazing sunshine and humidity is getting into extreme territory.

I recently played 18 holes at the Royal Phnom Penh at a charity event and it was not fun. It was the first round I have played in years and the first ever in this heat. Tee-off was 1pm. Final putt was 5:45pm. Never again.

The water they handed out was the Dasani brand which is completely devoid of anything useful like sodium or glucose, the stuff you'll be using and sweating out. Take a few packs of Royal D and add it to your water. Hats, sunblock and sunglasses are essential, so too is a fresh shirt for half way unless your name is Prince Andrew.

There is a 9 hole, par 3, course and driving range called City Golf based about 20 minutes north of Riverside. You might want to have a 9 hole outing and see how chipper you feel afterwards before laying out $250 for 5 rounds. It's only $10 for 9 holes between 06:00 - 11:59am (best times) and that included 50 balls on the range. Second hands balls are $7.50 for 10; these are a wise investment if you value your Titleist Pro V1's as this course if full of water.

Anyway, you sound like experienced golfers so this is probably old news to you, but I thought I would mention it.

http://www.citygolfcambodia.com/Site/

AlexJonesCrab
Expatriate
Australia

Post by AlexJonesCrab »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:39 am Just be careful of the heat, 35c+ in blazing sunshine and humidity is getting into extreme territory.

I recently played 18 holes at the Royal Phnom Penh at a charity event and it was not fun. It was the first round I have played in years and the first ever in this heat. Tee-off was 1pm. Final putt was 5:45pm. Never again.

The water they handed out was the Dasani brand which is completely devoid of anything useful like sodium or glucose, the stuff you'll be using and sweating out. Take a few packs of Royal D and add it to your water. Hats, sunblock and sunglasses are essential, so too is a fresh shirt for half way unless your name is Prince Andrew.

There is a 9 hole, par 3, course and driving range called City Golf based about 20 minutes north of Riverside. You might want to have a 9 hole outing and see how chipper you feel afterwards before laying out $250 for 5 rounds. It's only $10 for 9 holes between 06:00 - 11:59am (best times) and that included 50 balls on the range. Second hands balls are $7.50 for 10; these are a wise investment if you value your Titleist Pro V1's as this course if full of water.

Anyway, you sound like experienced golfers so this is probably old news to you, but I thought I would mention it.

http://www.citygolfcambodia.com/Site/

Awesome information, and yes, thatnks for the reminder....have been bitten before over on BINTAN Island Indonesia.....3 or 4 Bintangs doesnt help!
AlexJonesCrab
Expatriate
Australia

Post by AlexJonesCrab »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:09 am This is always a great option - hair of the dog + golf...https://theclub-pp.com/#about
Awesome...thats great info.
Im thinking to ease in......Play the simulator for a few hours ......next day depending on self inflicted damage from the night before head to..The 9 hole PAr 3 course across the river.
Then hit a package deal at one of the biggies.
Eeyan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Eeyan »

Hmmm 35°C, must admit I thought I'd had a look at the likely temps and I had 28 ish in my head, obviously didn't do my homework on that one.

35° is KL weather, it does feel cooler outside the city, on the grass where there's a breeze and lakes, but still damn hot.

Defo not the weather for raging hangover-golf Alex 😅.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Tee off no later than 7am and you'll be ok. PM golf is another story ...
Eeyan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Eeyan »

Just finished a game at City Golf, the par 3 with a driving range.

Without doubt not just any old par 3, really good condition with greens that wouldn't be out of place on any championship course

All rather chaotic and unclear with the pricing, caddy fee, caddy tip, how to pay for a beer 🍻 etc etc (admittedly I'm in a foreign country and can't speak their language), but overall a lovely place.

$30 for 18 holes, including caddy and 50 practice balls. I tipped her $10.
AlexJonesCrab
Expatriate
Australia

Post by AlexJonesCrab »

Eeyan wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:02 pm Just finished a game at City Golf, the par 3 with a driving range.

Without doubt not just any old par 3, really good condition with greens that wouldn't be out of place on any championship course

All rather chaotic and unclear with the pricing, caddy fee, caddy tip, how to pay for a beer 🍻 etc etc (admittedly I'm in a foreign country and can't speak their language), but overall a lovely place.

$30 for 18 holes, including caddy and 50 practice balls. I tipped her $10.
Its funny, I will be mirroring some of the stuff you do, 1 week behind you....Have fun man....all the best....whats next on your agenda? Siem Reap + Golf? KAMPOT? SHIANOUKVILLE? (Im doing the lot, plus BATTANMBANG.......flying solo is always sketchy, but you are free.....LOL
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic