Food and Veggies in Kampot/Kep?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Food and Veggies in Kampot/Kep?

Post by ItWasntMe »

ItWasntMe wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:08 pm I think I know the place actually since there's only one seller in that area from what I've seen. Rice was okay, veg was questionable and I didn't feel well the following day.

I am sensitive though as mentioned, and allergic to a lot of things so stuff that is fine for others will take me out...
Good to know, I'll be following this thread.
I mean even if the rest of us don't feel a strong effect as you do there might be reason for concern.

Please do keep us updated on your findings :)
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

The most grave situation is that many imported pesticides are usually labeled in the language of the source country, which uses to be indecipherable to Cambodian farmers, and neither basic safety equipment nor control on the use or extension activities and spread of technical knowledge of the hazards are available to them (op. cit., vi). Also many pesticide residues exceed the maximum (allowable) residue limits (MRLs) raising food safety concerns and jeopardizing exports´ potential. MRLs are standards set by individual countries for traded agricultural commodities according to different types of pesticides. Pesticide residues result from: 1) heavy pesticide use on the growing crop; 2) insecticide used in post-harvest management to preserve food during storage; and 3) the persistence and carry-over effect of residues in the soil. Different survey studies of pesticide contamination of vegetables in Cambodian markets found products containing residues of organ chlorines (Wang et al. 2011), organophosphate and carbamates (Neufeld et al. 2010), exceeding the established MRLs (op. cit., iv). In only two decades Cambodia has ranked to first among 13 countries in the region with the highest pesticide residue on vegetables, particularly thanks to the production of leafy vegetables from Kandal (Wang et al. 2011). This is the result of the irresponsible and indiscriminate use of pesticides by farmers as well as a lack of understanding about pre-harvesting intervals. The lack of knowledge and wrong perceptions about pesticides, the underestimation of the risks and easy access to illegal and extremely hazardous chemical pesticides cause farmers serious problems, like reported symptoms of acute pesticide poisoning as a result of underestimating the health effects of exposure to pesticides during handling and spraying
Old, but I cannot find anything indicating a change
https://ccfccambodia.org/say-no
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Double your fun and buy from the organic/hydroponic 6ha farm on Bokor. Very reasonable prices and if you ask nice you can go with a staff member and pick your own. Zucchini straight of the vine are awesome. They export to highend hotels and restaurants all over SEA.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Wish they would let me in Bokor. Vaccine exemptions aren't accepted apparently...

But nice looking farm though, have something to look forward to.
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by kagi »

Is Simple Things veg cafe still open? I ate there a few times. Ok food.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

kagi wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:42 am Is Simple Things veg cafe still open? I ate there a few times. Ok food.
It's open again since a few weeks.

Am a sucker for their veggie burger, the buns are like chewing on a rock but the actual burger is really nice :)
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Bokor organic veggies at Darwin mart (forgot last time I was out to check). Just got home from a grocery run. Leafy greens looked okay, cabbage a little sad, but they were there so that's nice to know.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

8:00 am is a great time to hit up the organic veggie marts. Visted 3 places from 7:30 to 8 ish, lots of fresh cabbages, watermelons, carrots, turnips, etc.

Small "tip" in case those don't know, if there's little holes on the produce from caterpillars or bugs, it's probably pesticide free. The more "perfect" looking produce (especially leafy greens) usually is the stuff that's gotten me sick or at the very least, with a headache.

Also found that much like Phnom Penh, the sellers will tell you (if you can converse in Khmer) which stuff is "natural" and which isn't. "Srok Khmer", and is usually more expensive (like twice or three times). Also, the "natural" stuff tends to be a lot more "ugly" and funny looking.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

SlowJoe wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:41 am Wish they would let me in Bokor. Vaccine exemptions aren't accepted apparently...

But nice looking farm though, have something to look forward to.
You had to have a vax card to get up there but now no issues - really recommend
LoukBongThom
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by LoukBongThom »

SlowJoe wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:56 am "Srok Khmer",
Or "Turmacheate" (natural)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic