Whoopi Suspended: She Expressed her View on the View

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Whoopi Suspended: She Expressed her View on the View

Post by Big Daikon »

xandreu wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:04 pm She shares the name of something you'd (British people anyway) sit on which makes a fart sound.

Need I say more?
We have them in the US as well.
Last edited by Big Daikon on Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

If you work in the factory that makes that, does that mean you make whoopee?
What, Me worry?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Yobbo wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:18 pm Those bratwurst munchers also had a problem with this guy;
No insult intended Hanno, it's Saturday :P
ah yes, Mr Owens and his four gold medals.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

violet wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:13 pm Can anyone explain to me why her looks have anything to do with her views? Why is she being denounced for being fat and ugly? So effin base. Why is it not enough to just focus on her crappy opinions? Why is there a group of people that have to resort to dragging a person’s looks into it?
I have edited my post and removed fat (I didn't say ugly) and replaced it with middle aged.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

violet wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:13 pm Can anyone explain to me why her looks have anything to do with her views? Why is she being denounced for being fat and ugly? So effin base. Why is it not enough to just focus on her crappy opinions? Why is there a group of people that have to resort to dragging a person’s looks into it?
I’m guessing your post was directed at me (in the main)?
I’m sorry if you’ve taken it upon yourself to be offended on Whoopis behalf, but I cannot be held accountable for your feelings.
If you think what I said about ms Goldberg is untrue?, well, that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it.
But here’s the crux of the matter, what I posted is my opinion, and while I’m still allowed to have an opinion I’ll exercise it, because if ‘people’ (I’m moderating my language here because I’m replying to a lady) like Whoopi had their way, anyone whose views, opinions or heaven forbid, politics differed to hers, would not be allowed to voice them, while she on the other hand, feels free to say whatever she likes, as we’ve recently witnessed.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Does anyone else think it odd that someone with a Jewish sounding name would make such a comment about the holocaust?

She later apologised and said she made a mistake but still puzzled as to what led her to use those words.

I also wondered what led her to choose such a stage name.. From Wikipedia:
About her stage surname, she claimed in 2011, "My mother did not name me Whoopi, but Goldberg is my name—it's part of my family, part of my heritage, just like being black", and "I just know I am Jewish. I practice nothing. I don't go to temple, but I do remember the holidays."[17] She has stated that "people would say 'Come on, are you Jewish?' And I always say 'Would you ask me that if I was white? I bet not.'"[17] One account recalls that her mother, Emma Johnson, thought the family's original surname was "not Jewish enough" for her daughter to become a star.[17] Researcher Henry Louis Gates Jr. found that all of Goldberg's traceable ancestors were African Americans, that she had no known German or Jewish ancestry, and that none of her ancestors were named Goldberg.[13] Results of a DNA test, revealed in the 2006 PBS documentary African American Lives, traced part of her ancestry to the Papel and Bayote people of modern-day Guinea-Bissau. Her admixture test indicates that she is of 92 percent sub-Saharan African origin and of 8 percent European origin.[18]
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Whoopi has gone on the attack before. Don't think she ever apologized to the Fox News lady.

My whole take is that none of this arguing is all that consequential and people shouldn't be professionally punished for shooting their mouths off from time to time.

(No. I don't think Whoopi has anything of value to say. And it is my fault for adding fuel to the fire.)
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:01 pm Does anyone else think it odd that someone with a Jewish sounding name would make such a comment about the holocaust?

She later apologised and said she made a mistake but still puzzled as to what led her to use those words.

About her stage surname, she claimed in 2011, "My mother did not name me Whoopi, but Goldberg is my name—it's part of my family, part of my heritage, just like being black", and "I just know I am Jewish. I practice nothing. I don't go to temple, but I do remember the holidays."[17] She has stated that "people would say 'Come on, are you Jewish?' And I always say 'Would you ask me that if I was white? I bet not.'"[17] One account recalls that her mother, Emma Johnson, thought the family's original surname was "not Jewish enough" for her daughter to become a star.[17] Researcher Henry Louis Gates Jr. found that all of Goldberg's traceable ancestors were African Americans, that she had no known German or Jewish ancestry, and that none of her ancestors were named Goldberg.[13] Results of a DNA test, revealed in the 2006 PBS documentary African American Lives, traced part of her ancestry to the Papel and Bayote people of modern-day Guinea-Bissau. Her admixture test indicates that she is of 92 percent sub-Saharan African origin and of 8 percent European origin.[18]
‘Would you ask me that if I was white?’ Probably not because historically the majority of what I understand as Jewish had white faces and we’re not of African American looking background. What’s wrong with that? Am I racist? Or simply asking a question based on information available to me?

Similarly, I might ask someone born in Mongolia with the name of Goldberg if they are Jewish - no racism. Just a simple question. I guess WG would pass that off as white on white curiosity. But asking her the same question is either ignorance or racism (both) to her. Idiot
Last edited by violet on Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Chad Sexington wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:41 pm
I’m guessing your post was directed at me (in the main)?
I’m sorry if you’ve taken it upon yourself to be offended on Whoopis behalf, but I cannot be held accountable for your feelings.
If you think what I said about ms Goldberg is untrue?, well, that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it.
But here’s the crux of the matter, what I posted is my opinion, and while I’m still allowed to have an opinion I’ll exercise it, because if ‘people’ (I’m moderating my language here because I’m replying to a lady) like Whoopi had their way, anyone whose views, opinions or heaven forbid, politics differed to hers, would not be allowed to voice them, while she on the other hand, feels free to say whatever she likes, as we’ve recently witnessed.
Not targeted at you in the main, no.
I’m not remotely offended on WG’s behalf that you resorted to fat and ugly as your put downs.
I have an issue with it in all situations. If you are among the group of people who do not wish to reconsider their means of attack, so be it. I’ll voice my opinion. You’ll stick to yours. And on we will go.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

violet wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:24 pm
Clutch Cargo wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:01 pm Does anyone else think it odd that someone with a Jewish sounding name would make such a comment about the holocaust?

‘Would you ask me that if I was white?’ Probably not because historically the majority of what I understand as Jewish had white faces and we’re not if African American looking background. What’s wrong with that? Am I racist? Or simply asking a question based on information available to me?

Similarly, I might ask someone born in Mongolia with the name of Goldberg if they are Jewish - no racism. Just a simple question. I guess WG would pass that off as white on white curiosity. But asking her the same question is either ignorance or racism (both) to her. Idiot
True story & maybe the guy will read this I don't know but...

We recruited a very nice chap as an English teacher a few weeks back. He had been at work less than a week and while in the Teachers lounge, chatting with a few other teachers, I asked him where he was from.
He took a bemused look at me, gestured to himself (he's black) and said ... Nigeria. To whit, I replied, "really? Any African country would have been at the bottom of my list of where he was from. This surprised him till I mentioned my reasoning.. his accent. It wasn't African, or American and there was no hint of an underlying European accent and definitely no Aussie twang. I was left with the UK and i asked where he was from but i meant "what part of the UK" as I couldn't place the UK accent.

Turns out he was Canadian.

now, back to the OP.
Whoopi has fully embraced the whole CRT and her comments about the holocaust actually fit with the recent change (yes, i know they changed it back again after the WG incident) in definition of "racism" on the ADL website.
Basically, ADL went full on CRT and changed the definition to mean only blacks can be the victims of racism. So, with this in mind, WG, believed she was correct in her views that because the jews were white it wasn't racism.

As to her being "cancelled". She has been at the forefront of every baying mob going when lesser mortals dared to express an opinion that didn't sit well with her. She will be back on air soon and you can bet the next "wrong-thought" opinion she hears she will be right back calling for someone's career to be terminated etc etc. So, I hope she gets her knickers all bunched up and truly spits that big fat dummy out as far as she can and stomps away in a huff like the child she is.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic