covid mental health problems

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

covid mental health problems

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

There are constant headlines here in the Uk about the serious mental health problems that this virus is having and has had on children. Disrupted school, little time playing with friends etc. I am sure it has had some effects on some children but It has me wondering how children coped during 1939-1945 ?

Bombs falling, children being separated from family and sent away, food rationing, schools closed and so on. Was there a mental health crisis when the war ended ?
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: covid mental health problems

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

This looks to be a very interesting topic. Thanks for bringing it up.
What, Me worry?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

OP- I think you might be overplaying the mental health part and comparing WW2 with covid.

Then again, and I can only speak from what I've heard about kids in Cambodia, seems to me they've missed out on proper schooling for 2 years (notwithstanding perhaps those that were able to do online schooling).

Can they catch up and recover, I don't know.. Young kids are quite resilient but what about teenagers?
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

The mental health problems from the virus are surely not the same trauma-based effects from the war.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Read my post again. I am not overplaying the mental health problems the media/government are, I am just pointing it out, It is a constant theme in the news here.
Nor am I comparing the war with covid just pointing out that after 5 years of war people got back to normal and as far as i know there was not a mental health crisis.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

The starting point was quite different. Current generations have become accustomed to their hedonistic lifestyle and are very bad at coping with disappointments.
Wealth, prosperity, health and personal freedom are considered personal rights now. Back in the 40's it was something worth to achieve.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:34 pm Read my post again. I am not overplaying the mental health problems the media/government are, I am just pointing it out, It is a constant theme in the news here.
Nor am I comparing the war with covid just pointing out that after 5 years of war people got back to normal and as far as i know there was not a mental health crisis.
Fair enough.

Wasn't long ago that depression wasn't seen as an illness either. Back in the 60s, doctors were prescribing Valium to anyone that felt 'down'..
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Having said that, this whole shit show certainly has effected the young ones, especially in poorer countries like Csmbodia where there was no money to compensate the masses and loads of children have been deprived of education for nearly two years.
No plans to compensate for that. For a ten years old two years of education on hold means 30% less. That's significant. Significant now, but probably significant for the career as a whole as well.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

I don't want to downplay the effect it's had on some kids, but just to add a positive note, the girl I've been helping raise for the last 11 years here (she's 12 now) hasn't really seemed to mind. To her she's gotten a new iPhone (for school obviously :) ) and done extra learning from YouTube videos (us doing some curating) and she's even pretty good at English now because of it (she spoke nothing at age 10), so I wouldn't say all is doom and gloom if she doesn't have to sweat it out in a Cambodian school repeating writing exercises.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

SlowJoe wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:07 pm I don't want to downplay the effect it's had on some kids, but just to add a positive note, the girl I've been helping raise for the last 11 years here (she's 12 now) hasn't really seemed to mind. To her she's gotten a new iPhone (for school obviously :) ) and done extra learning from YouTube videos (us doing some curating) and she's even pretty good at English now because of it (she spoke nothing at age 10), so I wouldn't say all is doom and gloom if she doesn't have to sweat it out in a Cambodian school repeating writing exercises.
This just shows this shit show widened the gap between the haves and the not haves. Maybe that's how we will look back at it in twenty years time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic