covid mental health problems

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: covid mental health problems

Post by Freightdog »

My 2-cents worth

Our older 2 have had a very mixed bag of schooling, and then COVID hit. Schooling went to nil, while at the same time the circle of friends that they had dropped dramatically, and was always the same small number- 3 siblings in the home, together. Maybe 6 children of a similar age, but only occasionally, Plus some cousins when travel to the province was possible.
Just recently, they’ve started school again, with a few false starts.

Two things are immediately obvious. Their behaviour has changed. More open, more energy, more inquisitiveness. They’ve made a whole set of new friends, and in particular they’re not mixing with, and claiming the same friends. At the same time, their ability to concentrate, and get some actually learning has improved.

I think isolation, and limited interaction is the key.

Taking the WW2 comparison, I’ve only got what my folks, and my uncle/aunt in the UK can relate. They had a fairly broad circle of friends, they all encountered, and shared daily the same events.

I’d say that only a few aspects of the pandemic might be related and compared with those previous world events.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Regarding the "mental health crisis in children" that the media are constantly going on about. I would suggest that 5 years of war would be a far bigger problem than what has happened in the last 2 years ?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:45 pm Regarding the "mental health crisis in children" that the media are constantly going on about. I would suggest that 5 years of war would be a far bigger problem than what has happened in the last 2 years ?
Well, that will support the kids effected by this covid crisis a lot. Spread the news. Past generations dealt with other, larger problems, so forget yours.... :stir:
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

or maybe spread the news that there is not a mental health crisis in the UK, it is just a media scare story and the children will forget all about covid by the end of the year :stir:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:56 pm or maybe spread the news that there is not a mental health crisis in the UK, it is just a media scare story and the children will forget all about covid by the end of the year :stir:
Just curious. You have any kids effected by this?
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

No but plenty of relations and friends with kids, i also know some teachers. I am not saying that this period has not had a negative affect on kids I am just pointing out the exaggerated response in the media "crisis" come up a lot. The other day I read "a mental health time bomb waiting to happen"
It is all over the top scare mongering.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

^^Agree, I'm kind of the sentiment these days that the "classic" media just needs to burn at this point.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:09 pm No but plenty of relations and friends with kids, i also know some teachers. I am not saying that this period has not had a negative affect on kids I am just pointing out the exaggerated response in the media "crisis" come up a lot. The other day I read "a mental health time bomb waiting to happen"
It is all over the top scare mongering.
Maybe it's not scaremongering but just a clickbait?

Covid has affected kids around the world, especially in poorer countries. But also in the West. My sister has been struggling with this all, managing the kids 'learning online' (yes, those were intentional) at home, unable to go out.
Will the kids be damaged for life? Probably not, most will come out fine. But having a history as a teacher myself I can assure you quite a few kids spending weeks inside the family house, without the opportunity to spend time at school, or in a library, or at a sports club have had a very hard time. Not all parents are kind caring understanding parents. Abuse, one way or another, is way too common within families.

One final word..... Spending a few weeks with a family with kids in lockdown is different from hearing stories from friends and relatives about it.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

I get that. As for the media they have been saying "2 years out of school and no contact with friends" It not yet 2 years since the first lockdown here , March 22nd 2020. The schools have not been shut for 2 years they were closed for a few months and then opened again and there was only a few months when you could not take your kids to the park and meet up with other parents.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

For USA - My child had a couple of months of remote learning in early Covid days, after that was in school every day even if the day was a bit shorter. This whole school year he has been in the classroom every day for full days. I'd say it was minimal disruption.

Have schools in Cambodia been shut down for 2 years? I thought they were on and off, no idea it was that long they were closed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic