Apple laptop repairs or data recovery in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: Apple laptop repairs or data recovery in Phnom Penh?

Post by AE86 »

mannanman wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:55 am Also, why do people talk about the founders of Apple when talking about “Apple” or their products? I don’t buy Samsung and complain about Kim Hyun-Suk and his political or personal views! Seems very odd to mean.
^^A lot of the "cult" side of Apple was built around Jobs and his NeXT platform. I remember there was huge buzz when OS X was coming out, even amongst "us" regular guys and Jobs just became that defacto face of Apple because of all the things he was bringing out which were undoubtedly amazing at the time.

I mean, if you were using Final Cut on a PowerMac running OS 9 you know how beautiful and revolutionary it was to upgrade to an OS X machine. Suddenly things just worked, so, at least to me that's when Jobs became an icon. It lasted only a year or so though because I realized he was a complete douche but that's beside the point.

I think for the fanboy crowd it started to happen when the iPod came out, and then really took off with the iPhone, so to me there were different waves of "fanboys", me being the "working class fanboy" since I needed all my Adobe software to make a living at the time, and having a computer not catastrophically crash multiple times a day was enough to sell me on Jobs.
Last edited by AE86 on Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-insert signature here
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

mannanman wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:55 am
Also, why do people talk about the founders of Apple when talking about “Apple” or their products? I don’t buy Samsung and complain about Kim Hyun-Suk and his political or personal views! Seems very odd to mean.
To clarify. Early apple liked because of products and Woz, Middle 90's hated because of Jobs and didn't find need for Imacs in my computer needs. Now don't like because of right to repair issues. Weird, but that's me.

If Apple works for someone, that's cool.

As far as Samsung. Love their Electronics (never had problems, higher quality in my book). BUT hate their appliances.....

That being said..... Kim Hyun_Suk SUCKS..... :)
What, Me worry?
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:04 pm As far as Samsung. Love their Electronics (never had problems, higher quality in my book). BUT hate their appliances.....
Curious as to why because I just bought a Samsung fridge last week.
-insert signature here
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

AE86 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:07 pm
Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:04 pm As far as Samsung. Love their Electronics (never had problems, higher quality in my book). BUT hate their appliances.....
Curious as to why because I just bought a Samsung fridge last week.
My family has had Samsung washers (have all broken down many times). I have an older Samsung refridgerator at my house here (got from friends). When power is lost for even short amount of time you have to manually restart everything to get it working again. If not noticed or you are gone for a few days = spoiled food. Have lost 2 full loads of food because of this. I suspect this is not normal operation for the newer models, but soured me on it.

Fun Fact..... Don't know if true.

Back in the 80's I remember cheap and upcoming Radio and TV brands "Lucky" and "Goldstar"..... I understand they merged thus creating LG ("Lucky/Goldstar") Can anyone remember these brands and confirm this is fact?
What, Me worry?
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Wiki says so. Must be true.
People of the world, spice up your life.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:13 pm ...When power is lost for even short amount of time you have to manually restart everything to get it working again. If not noticed or you are gone for a few days = spoiled food. Have lost 2 full loads of food because of this. I suspect this is not normal operation for the newer models, but soured me on it.
I had the same compressor issue with my old Toshiba fridge, which is funny because I just bought a Toshiba washing machine to replace my Samsung, and my Samsung fridge to replace the Toshiba... But yeah, it would lock up on a power outage and fail to restart and I did the whole "food loss" thing too. Rotten fish smelled the whole damn thing up.

This new Samsung one is an inverter type and doesn't seem to have the same "weak capacitor" issue since it's a variable speed compressor. It feels ridiculously overpowered actually. It chills a case of 24 bottles of water to freezing in just a couple hours, I love it so far.

Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:13 pm Fun Fact..... Don't know if true.

Back in the 80's I remember cheap and upcoming Radio and TV brands "Lucky" and "Goldstar"..... I understand they merged thus creating LG ("Lucky/Goldstar") Can anyone remember these brands and confirm this is fact?
I have had nothing but problems with my LG stuff (multiple phones and AC units) that I will never buy another LG product again.
-insert signature here
CanuckT
Tourist
Canada

Post by CanuckT »

I found a place near the Russian market called iRepair on Street 470 - they did a cable replacement on my Magsafe 2 charger. Really nice job, fixed in one day for $20. They also do laptop repairs etc.

https://www.facebook.com/irepaircambodia/
Last edited by CanuckT on Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanuckT
Tourist
Canada

Post by CanuckT »

Another follow up - got a repair done to my laptop at M1 Repair in PP - great work.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

^^Cheers for the updates,

As for me I trashed the laptop and cut my loses, data and all. Board was burnt as were several components (battery, 1 speaker, etc) and was going to be over a grand, $750 of which was for the parts for what it's worth.
-insert signature here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic