Can anyone confirm Patrice's death

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Can anyone confirm Patrice's death

Post by John Bingham »

No, he just had a couple of tooled-up Chinese bodyguards. He's not Chinese.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:35 pm I should have mentioned that the "leg-break" incident was in late December 1999. A guy from back home had said I should drop by Glenn when I got to Phnom Penh. So on my first night in Cambodia I was having a pizza on the riverside and a kid sold me a Cambodia Daily. In it I read about the incident and how the guy I was planning to drop by was in jail. Great introduction to town. Anyway, Andy's leg certainly wasn't broken as he was walking normally around the Heart of Darkness a few days later with his Chinese bodyguard close by.
With the low-ish life expectancy here, you have been here longer than close to a third of Cambodians.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Sorry, to get the leg break story totally wrong, Andy was always nice and gentle when I sat with him for morning coffee on St 13 last year. I am glad he made it out, my sense is that Patrice did too and did not die here. It would have been reported. He was a character, I can see why many would avoid his character all together.

Thank you for all the input.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:30 pm I have previously lived in a foreigner enclave of another SEA country where the characters were pretty much as described above, always some bit of drama involving 50-something dropouts whose brains stopped maturing at 14.
I have known so many Westerners in Cambodia over the years who fit this profile perfectly.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

bossho wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:53 pm Hello Readers,
I have heard that Patrice (last name escapes me) died back around June of '21. Patrice was a Kandal market fixture, always wore Jeans or long pants and always wore long sleeve shirts, was quite thin, about 60 years and had a leathery complexion. He read books in French mostly but also in English in the daytime when not totally hammered at the marts around Phsar Kandal. In the evenings he would hit the local wine and was an incorrigible drunk to be frank but he had a few hours out of the day when he was not drunk and he was often a delight to talk to then. He had lived in NYC many years and was a studio 54 kind of guy and often talked about how great NY was in the Ed Koch (pre Giuliani) days. In any case, I cannot find anything on here about his passing and I've combed thru the site and it seems odd since foreigner deaths always seem to get reported here. He did have terminal cancer, and he lived both on the street at times and with friends. For a time last year he stayed with the older German, red headed and senile Andy, the Andy that was famous for public nudity on 136 last year and for breaking Walkabout Glenn's leg back in the day.

Does anyone out there know anything? Appreciate any salient information. Thank you.
Think I know who you're talking about. He used to be on the Riverside early mornings. Then around mini-marts midday. Sometimes on 172. He had a full head of hair and kind of looked like an intellectual who'd fallen on hard times. Unfortunately I can't offer any new information only that I haven't seen him around for about 6 months and I'm always walking around these areas.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic