Motorbike stolen. Need new! Where can I pay by CC?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Motorbike stolen. Need new! Where can I pay by CC?

Post by phuketrichard »

pissontheroof wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:03 am
Joakim wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:22 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:07 am Why all the drama ? Go to a shop , point to the one you want , - i would suggest any honda dream ,
pick out what license plate number you like from the choices and give them your credit card .
That’s what i did , they charged me an extra $100 dollar for using the credit card , they said that’s what they have to pay .
I wondered why but TiC ( used to be TiT ).
I use the credit card ( or ABA pay ) almost anywhere i go these days and save heaps of ATM charges , but i wouldn’t like to think about the conversion fees if my card wasn’t in USD’s
Where did you buy your bike with CC? Not meaning ABA Pay. just normal international CC?

What is TiC (TiT) ?

Yea used regular visa credit card , way before i even has a bank account here or the ABA pay thing was in use ..
now i can use Credit card at the big supermarket here and Burger King. No problem no commission
but my residence won’t let me use it without extra charges i still don’t understand , but they accept the ABA payment

Got the moto new at the honda dream dealer in sihanoukville They charged me an extra $100
They said the credit card would charge them 🤷🏼‍♂️

[This is cambodia 🇰🇭
This is thailand 🇹🇭 ]
visa, mc charge 3% for many business, AMEX is 4%
so ur bike was $3,300?

most large smart business owners will eat the cc charge as its good marketing.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

I'm sure a lot of businesses don't want the auditability (hope that's a real word) that goes with credit card transactions.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

^^Being on the business end of things, I would never want to deal with credit card companies ever again. The merchant fees are the least of my worries.
-insert signature here
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Joakim wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:03 pm The story is that our 10+ yers Honda Wave 100 got stolen last week. Afternoon at 138. Normally a safe area but...
Searching around here and there and around friends. The conclusion is to buy a NEW bike.

I need a 125 for going around PP. (BIG boy and the old wave 100 was a little bit weak.)

It has to be a Honda. My wife is VERY clear about that.

Thinking of a Honda Click 125. New at the Honda dealer 26K. Way overpriced but...

If I found a NEW Honda Wave 110 it could be an alternative. But Honda dealer have only 100.

The question is; Can I buy a new Click somewhere in PP and pay with CreditCard? I have Visa, MC and AmEx.

Paying with CC is far better for me than transfer money. Points to my FrequentFlyer and about 2-4% cheaper than Cash.

/Joakim
I HAVE a belgian friend who is driving around a KTM, i would think 125 or even more, he is leaving back to belgium in about 6 weeks and wants to sell it. I think he will be happy with a banktrasnfer from your sswedish bank to his belgian bank, if you want his contact, PM, he is leaving close to Phsar Kandal on 144 !!
Joakim
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Joakim »

[/quote]

I HAVE a belgian friend who is driving around a KTM, i would think 125 or even more, he is leaving back to belgium in about 6 weeks and wants to sell it. I think he will be happy with a banktrasnfer from your sswedish bank to his belgian bank, if you want his contact, PM, he is leaving close to Phsar Kandal on 144 !!
[/quote]

Thanks for asking but a KTM is not actual. And it has to be max 125.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:58 pm Surely you actually meant $2.6k (2600) right? Who in their right mind would pay $26K (26,000) for a moto !? :shock:

Sorry, can't answer your question about payment, but surely official dealerships would accept credit cards.
I know of no dealerships that accept credit card payment for a moto. I tried last year at Suzuki HQ on Monivong and Sihanouk Blvd and was denied, and the same at numerous other Honda dealerships.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AE86 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:08 pm ^^Being on the business end of things, I would never want to deal with credit card companies ever again. The merchant fees are the least of my worries.
Exactly, any complaint from the buyer leads to a Cashback action plus charging the fees involved which start at €14 in my case.

PayPal sucks for merchants, but credit cards beat them by a mile.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bongmab69 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:52 pm
Joakim wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:03 pm The story is that our 10+ yers Honda Wave 100 got stolen last week. Afternoon at 138. Normally a safe area but...
Searching around here and there and around friends. The conclusion is to buy a NEW bike.

I need a 125 for going around PP. (BIG boy and the old wave 100 was a little bit weak.)

It has to be a Honda. My wife is VERY clear about that.

Thinking of a Honda Click 125. New at the Honda dealer 26K. Way overpriced but...

If I found a NEW Honda Wave 110 it could be an alternative. But Honda dealer have only 100.

The question is; Can I buy a new Click somewhere in PP and pay with CreditCard? I have Visa, MC and AmEx.

Paying with CC is far better for me than transfer money. Points to my FrequentFlyer and about 2-4% cheaper than Cash.

/Joakim
KTM starts at 150cc I think which requires a license. I know many drive one without but if you ever get involved in an accident without having the legal license it might be a lot of trouble.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Where did you buy your bike with CC? Not meaning ABA Pay. just normal international CC?

What is TiC (TiT) ?
[/quote]

Yea used regular visa credit card , way before i even has a bank account here or the ABA pay thing was in use ..
now i can use Credit card at the big supermarket here and Burger King. No problem no commission
but my residence won’t let me use it without extra charges i still don’t understand , but they accept the ABA payment

Got the moto new at the honda dream dealer in sihanoukville They charged me an extra $100
They said the credit card would charge them 🤷🏼‍♂️

[This is cambodia 🇰🇭
This is thailand 🇹🇭 ]
[/quote]

visa, mc charge 3% for many business, AMEX is 4%
so ur bike was $3,300?

most large smart business owners will eat the cc charge as its good marketing.
[/quote]

Don’t know that it was exactly $3,300 🤷🏼 Guess honda isnot a “ smart business owner “
I got the moto at the honda shop in sihanoukville , it was normal price for a new dream at the time
I was new here and don’t remember the actual price or know about the percentage you say but
I was then coming from thailand 🇹🇭 so it felt like just a random round number at the time
and I chalked it up to TiC at the time and paid it

Now am so happy the credit card is accepted at my supermarket and Burger King , it saves alot on ATM withdrawal fees
Still not accepted at my apartment tho , something about that fee again .
TiC
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

The Judge wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:36 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:58 pm Surely you actually meant $2.6k (2600) right? Who in their right mind would pay $26K (26,000) for a moto !? :shock:

Sorry, can't answer your question about payment, but surely official dealerships would accept credit cards.
I know of no dealerships that accept credit card payment for a moto. I tried last year at Suzuki HQ on Monivong and Sihanouk Blvd and was denied, and the same at numerous other Honda dealerships.

You must look like a ripper-offer , I use my American credit card here in siem reap all the time , no hidden fees or charges and I get reward points out of it , also saves a lot of ATM fees since i don’t have to withdraw from my bank in USA and redeposit into ABA ,
ABA wasn’t even cracked up to be what it is today back when I got my dream moto .. still got too ..
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic