Motorbike stolen. Need new! Where can I pay by CC?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Motorbike stolen. Need new! Where can I pay by CC?

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:35 am
nerdlinger wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:21 am What do they take as collateral from locals?
Locals don't rent. Or at least I've never come across one.
correct, they pay them off at outrageous interest rates!!

I wanted a wave 110 as i had in thailand, they dont sell them here
so brought the 100 $1,350 vs a 125 dream was $2,200 Kep prices

it is a bit underpowered compared to the 110
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:46 am
Kammekor wrote:
nerdlinger wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:21 am What do they take as collateral from locals?
Locals don't rent. Or at least I've never come across one.
A ton of them do "rent to buy" now/borrow money. Even for cars, so technically they're renting, but not in the same sense obviously. Still, I'm constantly surprised at the number of people who "bong romlous".

To the OP: can you not pay by ABA or something? You'll have to stick to the main dealers or larger shops if paying by cc.
Sure, there are massive loans to buy motorbikes, but I've never come across a Cambodian renting a bike instead of buying one.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Joakim wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:03 pm Searching around here and there and around friends. The conclusion is to buy a NEW bike.

I need a 125 for going around PP. (BIG boy and the old wave 100 was a little bit weak.)

Thinking of a Honda Click 125. New at the Honda dealer 26K. Way overpriced but...

If I found a NEW Honda Wave 110 it could be an alternative. But Honda dealer have only 100.

/Joakim
If you need the extra power, go for a Click 150 (they are around $3-3.3k though). $2.6k is a good deal on a new bike, prices have gone through the roof now. Getting a new PCX 160 is $6k, and an NCX built PCX is $4.3k so consider yourself lucky at that price.

Don't bother with the Wave 110s, they're lose all their value in a matter of a year or two, and they're grey market imports. I bought a 2017 110 RSX for $1500 and by 2019 I was offered $550 at the most.
-insert signature here
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

If you need a GPS tracker PM me.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Joakim
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Joakim »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:58 pm Surely you actually meant $2.6k (2600) right? Who in their right mind would pay $26K (26,000) for a moto !? :shock:
Yes PSD, Correct 2,6K!!!

I've been around a couple big dealers in PP all have the same price and all of them rejects CC.

I think I have to transfer to ABA and pay by ABA App.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

AE86 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:04 am
Joakim wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:03 pm Searching around here and there and around friends. The conclusion is to buy a NEW bike.

I need a 125 for going around PP. (BIG boy and the old wave 100 was a little bit weak.)

Thinking of a Honda Click 125. New at the Honda dealer 26K. Way overpriced but...

If I found a NEW Honda Wave 110 it could be an alternative. But Honda dealer have only 100.

/Joakim
If you need the extra power, go for a Click 150 (they are around $3-3.3k though). $2.6k is a good deal on a new bike, prices have gone through the roof now. Getting a new PCX 160 is $6k, and an NCX built PCX is $4.3k so consider yourself lucky at that price.

Don't bother with the Wave 110s, they're lose all their value in a matter of a year or two, and they're grey market imports. I bought a 2017 110 RSX for $1500 and by 2019 I was offered $550 at the most.
Welcome back!
Joakim
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Joakim »

pissontheroof wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:07 am Why all the drama ? Go to a shop , point to the one you want , - i would suggest any honda dream ,
pick out what license plate number you like from the choices and give them your credit card .
That’s what i did , they charged me an extra $100 dollar for using the credit card , they said that’s what they have to pay .
I wondered why but TiC ( used to be TiT ).
I use the credit card ( or ABA pay ) almost anywhere i go these days and save heaps of ATM charges , but i wouldn’t like to think about the conversion fees if my card wasn’t in USD’s
Where did you buy your bike with CC? Not meaning ABA Pay. just normal international CC?

What is TiC (TiT) ?
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Joakim wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:22 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:07 am Why all the drama ? Go to a shop , point to the one you want , - i would suggest any honda dream ,
pick out what license plate number you like from the choices and give them your credit card .
That’s what i did , they charged me an extra $100 dollar for using the credit card , they said that’s what they have to pay .
I wondered why but TiC ( used to be TiT ).
I use the credit card ( or ABA pay ) almost anywhere i go these days and save heaps of ATM charges , but i wouldn’t like to think about the conversion fees if my card wasn’t in USD’s
Where did you buy your bike with CC? Not meaning ABA Pay. just normal international CC?

What is TiC (TiT) ?

Yea used regular visa credit card , way before i even has a bank account here or the ABA pay thing was in use ..
now i can use Credit card at the big supermarket here and Burger King. No problem no commission
but my residence won’t let me use it without extra charges i still don’t understand , but they accept the ABA payment

Got the moto new at the honda dream dealer in sihanoukville They charged me an extra $100
They said the credit card would charge them 🤷🏼‍♂️

[This is cambodia 🇰🇭
This is thailand 🇹🇭 ]
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Was that an international credit card?
Don’t know anyone with a local CC just debit.
joined2help
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by joined2help »

I remember buying an iPhone and paying for it with my German (DKB) credit card. The store itself didn't have the card or POS machine but, for a fee of 5%, another store will charge the card and, if approved, the phone shop gets the cash. They have a labyrinth of contacts and shared networks of friends (and friends of friends) all in the name of making a sale happen.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic