Motorbike stolen. Need new! Where can I pay by CC?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Motorbike stolen. Need new! Where can I pay by CC?

Post by nerdlinger »

Cooldude wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:18 am
nerdlinger wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:02 am Just to derail the thread a bit, what do y’all think about buying vs renting? I was surprised to discover how cheap a monthly rental is, and seems like it’d take the stress out of worrying if your bike’s gonna get nicked.
You're right. Renting a bike in Cambodia is very cheap but they take your passport and you don't get it back until they get their bike back in the same condition you received it.
Wow. Is that everywhere? Maybe I should order a second passport before I come over, given how many things seem to involve you entrusting it to strangers. What do they take as collateral from locals?
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Wow. Is that everywhere? Maybe I should order a second passport before I come over, given how many things seem to involve you entrusting it to strangers. What do they take as collateral from locals?

That's kind of a can of worms using two passports and leaving one with the owners of the bike you pretty much just ripped off. You're going to have to go through the business of filing for a lost passport because your other passport won't have a visa or departure card in it. Some of the Airblades I've rented have a $900 replacement price on them. Might be easier to just man up and pay for the bike instead of going the lost passport route.
I've never personally known any Cambodians who have rented a bike.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

My mate rents out bikes, $65 a month, passport not required. I rented from him for years before buying last year.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:21 am What do they take as collateral from locals?
Locals don't rent. Or at least I've never come across one.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:17 am
Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:04 am
nerdlinger wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:02 am Just to derail the thread a bit, what do y’all think about buying vs renting? I was surprised to discover how cheap a monthly rental is, and seems like it’d take the stress out of worrying if your bike’s gonna get nicked.
If your rented bike gets nicked you will still be held liable with your passport as a collateral. Far from recommended.
Can you not get insurance for it?
I don't think you can.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Gazzy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:06 am My mate rents out bikes, $65 a month, passport not required. I rented from him for years before buying last year.
He rents out to strangers without a collateral?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

The only time it's advisable to rent is:
A: You can't afford to spend the money upfront to buy (new or used).
B: You know you'll only be here for a few months (either because of travel, or a retiree who goes backs and forth every year or something).

Might look cheap on paper, but fast-forward a year and you've sunk $600-800 on an asset which doesn't belong to you. Not to mention the risk of theft or damage, which you're obviously still liable for. There even used to be stories of rental shops stealing from customers, but those days are gone now. I think...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Kammekor wrote:
nerdlinger wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:21 am What do they take as collateral from locals?
Locals don't rent. Or at least I've never come across one.
A ton of them do "rent to buy" now/borrow money. Even for cars, so technically they're renting, but not in the same sense obviously. Still, I'm constantly surprised at the number of people who "bong romlous".

To the OP: can you not pay by ABA or something? You'll have to stick to the main dealers or larger shops if paying by cc.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Cooldude wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:47 am
That's kind of a can of worms using two passports and leaving one with the owners of the bike you pretty much just ripped off. You're going to have to go through the business of filing for a lost passport because your other passport won't have a visa or departure card in it. Some of the Airblades I've rented have a $900 replacement price on them. Might be easier to just man up and pay for the bike instead of going the lost passport route.
I've never personally known any Cambodians who have rented a bike.
I don’t plan on ripping them off, I just don’t like the idea of my only passport being held long term by someone. Especially given the number of stories I’ve read about hotels that want your passport, employers that want your passport, travel agencies processing renewals hanging onto your passport, pool halls that hang onto your passport… like how the heck am I supposed to get ripped off by a dodgy travel agent if the moto guy already has my passport?
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I don’t plan on ripping them off, I just don’t like the idea of my only passport being held long term by someone. Especially given the number of stories I’ve read about hotels that want your passport, employers that want your passport, travel agencies processing renewals hanging onto your passport, pool halls that hang onto your passport… like how the heck am I supposed to get ripped off by a dodgy travel agent if the moto guy already has my passport?

You might not plan on ripping them off but that's what the situation would be if you get the bike ripped off and then take off leaving the owners of the bike with nothing but your passport.
In my experience, the people I rent the bikes from also do visas so it's no big deal to get your visa work done.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic