Why don't airlines upgrade you when seats are empty?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Why don't airlines upgrade you when seats are empty?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Flight turns back after economy passengers upgrade themselves to business class

When United Airlines flight UA90 took off from Newark Airport bound for Tel Aviv on January 20, 2022, all seemed normal. But then, a couple of economy class passengers decided to lift themselves up to where they truly belong, which happened to be business class.

Why not, they reasoned? The seats were empty, it's a long overnight flight, they could get a good night's kip in the fully-reclining seats, wake to a splendid breakfast and land at Tel Aviv relaxed and refreshed.

The cabin crew did not see it that way, pointing out that they had paid for economy seats and that's where they belonged. The arguments went back and forth, but negotiations stalled and a standoff ensued.

Both sides refused to budge, and so the captain did a loop over Nova Scotia and landed the aircraft back at Newark, two hours after it took off.

Not only did the trespassers not get to keep their seats, they were fingered as the reason the passengers were spending the night in a hotel somewhere near Newark Airport instead of meeting friends and loved ones in Tel Aviv.

And when the aircraft landed it was met by police who marched the offenders off the aircraft and into custody. Cue the walk of shame, except the miscreants probably missed out on the shame gene.

United Airlines' Polaris business class seats. Even if seats are empty, you can't just help yourself to one.

Airlines do not upgrade economy passengers just because there happen to be empty seats in business or first. What they might do if there are high-status passengers flying economy is cut them out from the herd and give them a better seat. There is a pecking order and those who have demonstrated their loyalty to the airline by flying lots and acquiring heaps of status credits are first in line.

Full: https://www.traveller.com.au/why-dont-a ... ass-h21dvz
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Why don't airlines upgrade you when seats are empty?

Post by nerdlinger »

The only times I’ve been upgraded were when I’d spent the extra on refundable tickets when on business.

I have witnessed the policy taken to a slightly daft extreme on a regional Lufthansa* flight - it was one of those ones where you pay an extra €5 to pick your own otherwise identical seat in the front half of the cabin, and literally nobody’d taken them up on it - so we had rows 24-49 completely full and not a soul in 1-23. One fatso struggling in a middle seat moved himself to row 23 after takeoff so he wouldn’t be squashing his neighbours, and the staff made him go back.**
What was even stupider was they also still insisted on closing the mini-curtain above the headrest at row 23/24 so that the poor sods sat in 24 were just sat directly facing a totally unnecessary curtain 2 feet away from their face the whole flight.
It’s like they were going out of their way to make the flight as unnecessarily uncomfortable as possible for everyone as punishment for not paying the extra €5.

* may have been some other German airline, it was a while ago

** I’m aware takeoff weight distribution is a thing, but every other airline I’m aware of lets you move within your class after takeoff
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Wow, you have to watch those economy passengers. There should be barred doors and tasers ready for those plebs who think they are entitled to a better class of seat to keep them in their place!

I know what I'm talking about - I once tried to use the toilet belonging to business class (just 1m in front of my seat, behind the curtain), because it was night, no one was around, everyone sleeping, the economy class toilets were already squatted, and it was rather urgent. I didn't even have time to open the door when I was intercepted by a beautiful hostess who explained that I was trying to shit above my economy class ticket, and even if there was a mess, well that's economy class for you, but sorry you don't belong here.
:2girlsit8:
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

I don't know, but i upgrade myself with this on long economy flights.
\Image

If there is an empty seat, i'll get the one next to it and have a nap on both, so i can relax my "healing arm", thanks to the cabin crew.

20 euros, sleep garanteed (if there is the one empty place, of course)

Last edited by Ghostwriter on Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Yeah, no shit.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Philippine Airlines once upgraded us to business (with economy service only) on a near empty flight to Manila. It happens..but apparently rarely.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Been upgraded to business twice, Jet & Singapore respectively, no apparent reason for it, but not one to look a gift hostess in the mouth

Regarding moving seats; I've always moved to empty seats/quieter seats/more spacious seats where they are available either before or after takeoff and never been rebuked - although I always make a point of asking a member of cabin staff nicely first

I wonder why this flight to Tel Aviv was filled with such assholes, as can't remember reading or hearing about such a turn of events before
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

What happens when there are 20 unoccupied business seats, a couple of chancers take 2, and 30 other disgruntled passengers decide they want the other 18. Before you say it wouldn’t happen, I can assure you that alcohol+impending tourism+adult brains left at home and all sorts of irrational shit goes on. It’s actually surprising what some passengers would consider ‘acceptable’ behaviour. In a confined space, the last thing anyone wants is disruption.
And what of the passengers that have paid the fee for the business ticket, or upgrade?

Maintaining order can be a very fine and somewhat fragile balancing act.

From a row-0 perspective, it’s sometimes quite hard to really appreciate what it’s like for the cabin crew, but I can tell you this, based on feedback and first hand knowledge. Passengers from certain regions and backgrounds can be very much more demanding, or outright bloody awful. In no particular order-

Passengers to, from, or having close family in Israel. (Check the article in the op). When half the cabin are very devout, and the males are adamant that they must not have a woman seated next to them…

Indian middle class businesspersons, and especially their wives, and elder daughters.

Pikeys. Especially the women. Family feuds bubble up fast when the pressure drops a bit, and the alcohol is flowing.

Footie fans.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Airlines do not upgrade economy passengers just because there happen to be empty seats in business or first. What they might do if there are high-status passengers flying economy is cut them out from the herd and give them a better seat. There is a pecking order and those who have demonstrated their loyalty to the airline by flying lots and acquiring heaps of status credits are first in line.
Freightdog wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:21 pm What happens when there are 20 unoccupied business seats, a couple of chancers take 2, and 30 other disgruntled passengers decide they want the other 18. Before you say it wouldn’t happen, I can assure you that alcohol+impending tourism+adult brains left at home and all sorts of irrational shit goes on. It’s actually surprising what some passengers would consider ‘acceptable’ behaviour. In a confined space, the last thing anyone wants is disruption.
And what of the passengers that have paid the fee for the business ticket, or upgrade?

From a row-0 perspective, it’s sometimes quite hard to really appreciate what it’s like for the cabin crew, but I can tell you this, based on feedback and first hand knowledge. Passengers from certain regions and backgrounds can be very much more demanding, or outright bloody awful. In no particular order-

Passengers to, from, or having close family in Israel. (Check the article in the op). When half the cabin are very devout, and the males are adamant that they must not have a woman seated next to them…

Indian middle class businesspersons, and especially their wives, and elder daughters.

Pikeys. Especially the women. Family feuds bubble up fast when the pressure drops a bit, and the alcohol is flowing.

Footie fans.
Back in 84, 85 i was flying between HK and Seoul, Tokyo, Taiwan at least 2x/week
Once a month to either Bali or Bangkok. Than In 86,87 2x/month to Nepal
Always on thai airway's, i'd say 1/3rd of the time i was upgraded. Check in staff at HK knew where i was flying by how i was dressed before i even checked in :-)
It was a pleasure.

Never asked for it and do understand its not just an empty seat that anyone can claim>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:48 pm
Freightdog wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:21 pm What happens when there are 20 unoccupied business seats, a couple of chancers take 2, and 30 other disgruntled passengers decide they want the other 18. Before you say it wouldn’t happen, I can assure you that alcohol+impending tourism+adult brains left at home and all sorts of irrational shit goes on. It’s actually surprising what some passengers would consider ‘acceptable’ behaviour. In a confined space, the last thing anyone wants is disruption.

Footie fans.
Back in 84, 85 i was flying between HK and Seoul, Tokyo, Taiwan at least 2x/week
Once a month to either Bali or Bangkok. Than In 86,87 2x/month to Nepal
Always on thai airway's, i'd say 1/3rd of the time i was upgraded. Check in staff at HK knew where i was flying by how i was dressed before i even checked in :-)
It was a pleasure.

Never asked for it and do understand its not just an empty seat that anyone can claim>
:plus1: Milk runs/gold runs - of course you were well dressed, that goes with the job. I never considered that as high status. White privilege at best. That's why they hired Europeans.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic