Why don't airlines upgrade you when seats are empty?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Why don't airlines upgrade you when seats are empty?

Post by Freightdog »

The news report that this is based on doesn’t have enough details to fully appreciate the situation, but the first thing to note is that none of us were there. Second guessing the decisions made without thorough knowledge of events is simply not possible, and is only really for the airline and crew to resolve.

Consider this then.

The aircraft turned back, and was at its departure point two hours after departure. That means that it had travelled roughly only one hour of its 10hour route.
9hrs on a plane with disruptive passengers would be a miserable experience. I’ve been in a situation where we had a big problem in the cabin. Hot food service and alcohol were stopped, and ultimately the seatbelt signs turned on. 180 passengers inconvenienced because of the behaviour of just a small few.

On the map, you’ll see that once over the atlantic, the options for offloading a problem are much reduced. But when people start getting physical, the crew or other passengers can easily be injured, which really complicates matters.

Most/all technical related emergency situations are managed through design of the aircraft, but a few situations are rather more difficult.
Fire onboard
People needing medical attention
Disorder in the cabin.

Waiting until Tel Aviv to get the police involved is simply not an option. That would have been in another 9 hours.
Would I do the same thing? If the situation warranted it, yes. But- I wasn’t there. There are only a limited number of crew on board, and these days, as flight crew, we rarely get involved directly, especially in the air. 9-11 should inform people why.

ps. Why is this thread reopened a year later?
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Re: Why don't airlines upgrade you when seats are empty?

Post by simon43 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:51 pm Been upgraded to business twice, Jet & Singapore respectively, no apparent reason for it, but not one to look a gift hostess in the mouth

Regarding moving seats; I've always moved to empty seats/quieter seats/more spacious seats where they are available either before or after takeoff and never been rebuked - although I always make a point of asking a member of cabin staff nicely first

I wonder why this flight to Tel Aviv was filled with such assholes, as can't remember reading or hearing about such a turn of events before
The destination might give you a clue....
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

They should have let them sit in the seats. Not start a fight. And arrested them in Israel. Not worth it to have gone back to NY.

UA and Austrian Airlines as well are a bunch of Nazis with this, any flight attendant will tell you bad behavior has all flavors and colors.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

newsgatherer wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:21 pm They should have let them sit in the seats. Not start a fight. And arrested them in Israel. Not worth it to have gone back to NY.

UA and Austrian Airlines as well are a bunch of Nazis with this, any flight attendant will tell you bad behavior has all flavors and colors.
Yeah, that wouldn’t go over to well if they were American citizens. And I doubt they would take any action against an Israeli citizen for something so minor that happened on an American based airline. And then exacting what would they be arrested for if you allowed them to do it?
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

Regardless, why are they wasting so much gas and time making an example. They broke the law, they could get stung for a lot of money and never return to the United States. Why are you making such cheap assumptions?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

newsgatherer wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:01 pm Regardless, why are they wasting so much gas and time making an example. They broke the law, they could get stung for a lot of money and never return to the United States. Why are you making such cheap assumptions?
Oh those clowns who thought they were special will be paying for the gas and a steep fine along with being placed on the no-fly list. And like I stated before, if they were American citizens they cannot be denied re-entry back into the United States, it’s not like they would lose their citizenship.

How is that a cheap assumption? They weren’t making an example out of anyone, this happens more often than you are assuming.
Last edited by Kenr on Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

They could get arrested for big bucks for breaking the law like this, it's a huge offense to ignore a flight attendant's orders no matter who pays; it's a waste of gas and time for the other passengers. I would have been pissed off, wasting several hours, even sitting at the end near the toilet if it was me. And we know what UA is, coming from Chicago. Avoid
Last edited by newsgatherer on Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

newsgatherer wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:11 pm They could get arrested for big bucks for breaking the law like this, it's a huge offense to ignore a flight attendant's orders no matter who pays; it's a waste of gas and time for the other passengers. I would have been pissed off, wasting several hours, even sitting at the end near the toilet if it was me.
Then be pissed off at the individuals who thought they were entitled to do whatever they wanted.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

No, I never fly with UA, in my own experience it's a lousy airline. Have a good one
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic