Why don't airlines upgrade you when seats are empty?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Why don't airlines upgrade you when seats are empty?

Post by ExPenhMan »

nerdlinger wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:16 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:06 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:48 pm Back in 84, 85 i was flying between HK and Seoul, Tokyo, Taiwan at least 2x/week
Once a month to either Bali or Bangkok. Than In 86,87 2x/month to Nepal
Always on thai airway's, i'd say 1/3rd of the time i was upgraded. Check in staff at HK knew where i was flying by how i was dressed before i even checked in :-)
It was a pleasure.

Never asked for it and do understand its not just an empty seat that anyone can claim>
:plus1: Milk runs/gold runs - of course you were well dressed, that goes with the job. I never considered that as high status. White privilege at best. That's why they hired Europeans.
I know quite a few cabin crew from various SEA airlines*, and several of them have said that the upgrades go to westerners because they tend to treat the staff better than Asians do. Sure we might have more extreme loud arseholes on rare occasions, but the ones who aren’t are on average a lot more considerate and polite and know how to use “please” and “thank you”, whereas Chinese and even Japanese tend to treat staff like they’re non-persons, or run them ragged demanding stuff when they’re clearly busy elsewhere.

* yeah yeah laugh it up, Chuckles
Hmmm. Maybe this explains why on my fourth two-way flight with EVA, YYZ-TPE-BKK, I was launched from Econ to Royal Laurel First Class. I was left speechless when I was herded over to an unknown desk at the Taipei transit point back to YYZ. There's my name on a sign all by itself and oh oh, what's going on here? A friend said it could be algorithms, single white guy who seems to fly regularly with EVA, occasionally flying Prem Econ, might appreciate an upgrade and learn to love it. But maybe Nerdlinger's insider info might apply.
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

I don't know what it's like now but I was a frequent flyer on US Air racking up close to 100,000 miles per year. If there were business class seats availabel on long flights I usually got an upgrade. Since I am no longer in the US I am a frequent flyer on Star Alliance airlines. The same policy applies there in my experience.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

rubberbaron wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:04 pm I don't know what it's like now but I was a frequent flyer on US Air racking up close to 100,000 miles per year. If there were business class seats availabel on long flights I usually got an upgrade. Since I am no longer in the US I am a frequent flyer on Star Alliance airlines. The same policy applies there in my experience.
Sadly for me I didn’t live near any global hub, so I ended up with Silver (or similar) on pretty much every airline out there and Gold on none. :cry:
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

rubberbaron wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:04 pm I don't know what it's like now but I was a frequent flyer on US Air racking up close to 100,000 miles per year. If there were business class seats availabel on long flights I usually got an upgrade. Since I am no longer in the US I am a frequent flyer on Star Alliance airlines. The same policy applies there in my experience.
Still same. The higher status you have, higher chance for upgrade. Some variation on airlines though. Some only upgrade if economy is overbooked, like Finnair. Then others are pretty easy with their upgrades. For example Turkish Airlines. If you have their gold or higher and business has room, you are pretty much guaranteed to get an upgrade.

Never understood people who go and sit in better seats when they are empty. You don't go restaurant and eat better/different food than what you ordered either.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

United sounds like an awful airline. Who thinks it's a good idea to ruin 150 people's travel plans just because 2 people upgraded themselves? Surely the police in Tel Aviv are just as capable of dealing with them as the ones in New York. Is this the same airline that kicked the shit out of a passenger for sitting in his own seat?
Scarier than malaria.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I flew back from PP to AMS thursday with Qatar, flight BKK-DOHA was full, even overbooker they said. 1 seat was free on it, but not better then mine. DOHA-AMS was also full, didnt ask howmany empty seats. Always ask at check-in how full the flight is, and joke always i am slightly bigger then the average khmer-girl and try to let them block the seat next to me. If that doenst work, i always politely ask when seated, to the smiling girl, if she could check for a better seat ounce we are at cruising-altitude, which they always do if you ask it that way, they ar always full stressed to take-off on time, and ounce on attitude they have time to do some "extra-service". Sadly this week didnt work it because really full . . .
Qatar is best airline they say, but i am always unlucky with them, hahaha
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Anyone who thinks they should receive a free upgrade just because seats are available are seriously delusional.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kenr wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:52 pm Anyone who thinks they should receive a free upgrade just because seats are available are seriously delusional.
:plus1:
It's the equivalent of paying for a bunk bed in a dormitory with shared bathroom (and cold water shower) in a guesthouse, and then going to squat the double bedroom with ensuite hot water bathroom, satellite TV, fridge and aircon, when you see that the room is empty for the night.

After all, why not, if no one is using it ? :bigeyes:
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:12 am
Kenr wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:52 pm Anyone who thinks they should receive a free upgrade just because seats are available are seriously delusional.
:plus1:
It's the equivalent of paying for a bunk bed in a dormitory with shared bathroom (and cold water shower) in a guesthouse, and then going to squat the double bedroom with ensuite hot water bathroom, satellite TV, fridge and aircon, when you see that the room is empty for the night.

After all, why not, if no one is using it ? :bigeyes:
Then pay the extra money that everyone else paid. And who decides which lesser fair person should get this “bunk bed in a dormitory”? Can’t give it to everyone.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ali baba wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:41 pm United sounds like an awful airline. Who thinks it's a good idea to ruin 150 people's travel plans just because 2 people upgraded themselves? Surely the police in Tel Aviv are just as capable of dealing with them as the ones in New York. Is this the same airline that kicked the shit out of a passenger for sitting in his own seat?
Plus the huge costs involved. I can't see this as a decision made entirely by the captain, perhaps the Airline has a policy of always returning to base (if possible) if the cabin crew loses control of passengers. Maybe @Freightdog can shine some light on the protocols involved.

Perhaps the nationality of the passengers was a factor. If they were Israelis going home and therefore they could evade any repercussions from the airline. But if the passengers were US resident citizens then a visit from the captain telling them they were going to be charged $5000 for the seat and the airline would pursue them through the courts and bankrupt them if needed.

I wouldn't fancy an airline, with very deep pockets, suing me for $5000 plus legal costs and looking to make an example of me. It could spiral to $15000 in very short order.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic