Oknha Shows Off Adorable Pet Tiger Cub

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Oknha Shows Off Adorable Pet Tiger Cub

Post by John Bingham »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:06 pm Wouldn't a large captive population of pet tigers make it easier to breed them for sale rather than the much more complex route of capturing a wild tiger?
I'm not sure any wild and dangerous apex predator that is bred can be considered a "pet". Those tiger farms in the US and China often cross breed different sub-species or breed closely related animal, and even cross Tigers with Lions. Some are entirely run for the production of CTM's. As they are endangered most trade in them is prohibited. Cambodia is not Texas, you can't just roll up at a Tiger farm and buy a cub. So some unscrupulous individuals may be either buying them from provincial "zoos" or private collections - or they are smuggled in from abroad. And of course any poachers in the region will know that a Tiger cub is worth a lot, and will take advantage of this by decimating the remaining wild population. Who cares though, the Tigers will have a much nicer life in a villa with 10 kilos of prime beef a day than they ever could in a nasty dark jungle. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

10 kilos of minced prime beef a day, this due to possibly removing the tigers teath.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:01 am 10 kilos of minced prime beef a day, this due to possibly removing the tigers teath.
I think removing the tigers tooth has more to do with having a tiger tooth charm hanging around one's neck to ward of bad luck and stray bullets.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:50 pm
IraHayes wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:53 pm Out of curiosity I googled "where are the most tigers kept as pets" and apparently Texas has between 2,000 and 5,000 tigers that are kept as pets. By comparison, there are estimated to less than 4,000 left in the wild.
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 170908.php

Puts things in perspective a little considering the amount of pearl clutching that went off the last time a story like this broke.
There may be lots of captive bred big cats in the US, China and other places. However keeping endangered species is generally frowned upon as it leads to more pressure on wild populations and encourages poaching.
Hoping none of these came from the wild. But for these rich people in KOW there really is no need to poach because there are multiple tiger breeding facilities in China, especially in SE China. I saw one maybe 20 years ago that had more than 300 tigers (along with sun bears). I don't know, does the source of this tiger making it any less inappropriate? What will Ohkna do when the tiger is 150 kg?

What happened to the Cambodian governments idea of reintroducing tigers to the wild? Difficult to do when the only prey left in sufficient numbers are villagers.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

They have reintroduced tigers in Ratanakiri, but I think it's an organization doing it rather than the government.
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by kagi »

Today is the day

CNY of the Tiger
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:01 am 10 kilos of minced prime beef a day, this due to possibly removing the tigers teath.
Where does it say it has had its teeth removed?

I have no problem with rich Oknhas keeping these types of pets, as long as they leave them as nature intended with a full set of claws and teeth. That way, in a year or two, we have a sporting chance of a good news story when the thing bites his fucking head off.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Yes, there lies the point, and although it doesn't mention here, but I seem to remember that being the case of the Chinese man's pet tiger.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

A fully grown lion or tiger could seriously fuck anyone up even without sharp teeth or claws.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Alex wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:52 pm How about a Cambodia sequel to the Tiger King Netflix series? Plenty of Tiger King candidates, but I wonder who'd get to be the Khmer version of Carole Baskin.
Tiger King was one of the best things that happened during Covid. Then there was the first Behaviour Panel about it, which was so great!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic