My adventures with the watch battery scam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: My adventures with the watch battery scam

Post by Bluenose »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:16 am
Clutch Cargo wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:03 am
General Mackevili wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:25 am
Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:58 pm

The watch sellers in Central Market do batteries for $3 or $4 and fit them while you wait. The woman opposite the stand that sells all the personal violence equipment is very reliable and cheap (you can peruse the coshes, stun guns and gas sprays to pass the time).
Ages ago I bought a $5 ICE-imitation watch from Central Market, when it needed a new battery i was quoted $4 which makes you wonder how cheaply these things get made! I just decided to get another $5 ICE watch in a different colour, I'm now on my 5th
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

willyhilly wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:49 pm I had a flat battery in the red car early Saturday morning. I googled the battery cost, $165. Then called the insurance roadside assistance. Battery only 12 months old. Checked everything was working, gave me a new battery and he drove away. I was thinking of cancelling the insurance but that’s great service. All up less than an hour from my first phone call.
In the garage business in Cambodia they always steal the thermostat first. Easy to get at and used to be worth nearly a days pay. If you are not there they then begin swapping parts. The Chinese parts are so cheap and original second hand so much more valuable.
Again, even though this may happen on rare occasions it’s just hearsay, unless it’s actually happened and you’ve proven it I think it’s all bollocks, just like the reversing over someone you’ve just knocked over.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Bluenose wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:19 pm
Doc67 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:16 am
Clutch Cargo wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:03 am
General Mackevili wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:25 am
Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:58 pm

The watch sellers in Central Market do batteries for $3 or $4 and fit them while you wait. The woman opposite the stand that sells all the personal violence equipment is very reliable and cheap (you can peruse the coshes, stun guns and gas sprays to pass the time).
Ages ago I bought a $5 ICE-imitation watch from Central Market, when it needed a new battery i was quoted $4 which makes you wonder how cheaply these things get made! I just decided to get another $5 ICE watch in a different colour, I'm now on my 5th
You might be addicted
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:04 am Buy your wife a new watch every year for her birthday and you will not have this sort of problem in the future.
Spoiler:
Check with HE to see where he bought his watch.
HE didn't, it was a gift.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:00 pm Does she look technically adept? It might simply be that she didn’t have a clue where to find the new batteries while the supervisor (or some other oppo was away) and in an effort to save face, offered you the expensive alternative. You’ve buggered off, the competent one has come back, or the rapid search for the correct batteries has found them under the takeaway noodles for lunch, face saved, customer happy (ish).

Not so much a scam, maybe more a poor decision making and responsibility process?

This last week, I had to kick off with ABA because they ordered a new ATM card for the other half, but cocked it up and ordered it in my name. To then order a new card in the other half’s name would require me to pay a replacement card fee again, even though it was their cockup.
5 individual staff dealt with it, badly, over two days- each demanding that I pay the fee again, before someone sufficiently senior took charge and fixed the issue. And refunded me for my trouble.

But this isn’t just a Cambodian issue. I was in the EE shop in town just a few days ago, for a new e-sim. After sitting waiting for nearly ten minutes having sorted all the paperwork and ID stuff, the girl came back and apologized. The e-sims are locked away in a safe, and they can’t remember the passcode. Apparently, it’s been like it for weeks, but nobody has taken ownership to resolve the problem…. Here, have a normal sim instead.

There’s a lot of jobs where folk are hired, given very limited training and paid peanuts. The bar is not set too high.
I too had a problem recently with ABA! I went to make a small withdrawal, that was okay until the cashier returns my bank book with the amount now showing 00.00 money. She called the supervisor over, she told the cashier to do the balance again. Result, 0 money in my account.
The supervisor gave me a letter to keep with my bank book, I asked her to sign it, of course she would not, she stamped it and said I will not charge you for the letter and stamp! I replied, that this is your mistake, not mine. She said no it's your book. I said magical book has just lost all it's balance and not in my pocket.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:42 am
Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:04 am Buy your wife a new watch every year for her birthday and you will not have this sort of problem in the future.
Spoiler:
Check with HE to see where he bought his watch.
HE didn't, it was a gift.

From his wife ?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

From another country, cheap $6+ million per watch. Nice gifts ☺️
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic