My adventures with the watch battery scam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: My adventures with the watch battery scam

Post by General Mackevili »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:58 pm
So maybe inconclusive as to whether it really was a scam albeit Interesting story I thought.
Now, let Mrs Cargo take your watch there next week without you for a $5 battery replacement, and see if the same thing happens again. :stir:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

General Mackevili wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:25 am
So maybe inconclusive as to whether it really was a scam albeit Interesting story I thought.
Now, let Mrs Cargo take your watch there next week without you for a $5 battery replacement, and see if the same thing happens again. :stir:
Indeed. Actually, if it wasn't for me, she would've taken it to the watch guy with his little booth at Kandal Market. Mrs knows best :bow:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

mekongme wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:22 am If this is possible in just a watch, imagine the possibilities of dropping off the motorbike or car for a simple fix, them rectifying the small issues. Once the small issues are fixed, them switching out any parts for a cheaper inferior product or a product that is doomed to fail. It creates an ongoing business cycle for them.
The other half insists on sitting in the workshop, the entire time watching the mechanic, that being said , she wouldnt know a single thing about a bike, car or even what the word maintenance means. But just makes sure they know she's watching
I know a Khmer guy who lent his bike to a friend. When he brought it back it didn't run properly. Upon closer inspection several parts had been replaced. The little shit had taken it to a garage and sold good parts for duff ones, probably for no more than a few dollars.

I am so glad I don't own a bike or a car here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:03 am
General Mackevili wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:25 am
Indeed. Actually, if it wasn't for me, she would've taken it to the watch guy with his little booth at Kandal Market. Mrs know best :bow:
The watch sellers in Central Market do batteries for $3 or $4 and fit them while you wait. The woman opposite the stand that sells all the personal violence equipment is very reliable and cheap (you can peruse the coshes, stun guns and gas sprays to pass the time).
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

mekongme wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:22 am If this is possible in just a watch, imagine the possibilities of dropping off the motorbike or car for a simple fix, them rectifying the small issues. Once the small issues are fixed, them switching out any parts for a cheaper inferior product or a product that is doomed to fail. It creates an ongoing business cycle for them.
The other half insists on sitting in the workshop, the entire time watching the mechanic, that being said , she wouldnt know a single thing about a bike, car or even what the word maintenance means. But just makes sure they know she's watching
Yes, certainly didn't want to make it a big deal but a funny story to relate I thought.

However, you make a very good point about watching everything.

Now that you mention it, I recall several years ago taking my then moto for a service to the small Yamaha shop/service place attached to Aeon 1 mall. There's like 2 sales staff and 1 service guy at the time. I drop the moto off and go do some shopping. Some time later, I started having battery problems. The moto was 2 years old. Now I'm not sure about batteries I guess it depends on the quality coz I later found out that there are cheap and heavy duty ones. That being said, I would've thought an original battery lasts longer than 2 years.. So I def wonder if he did a switcheroo.

Subsequent to that, I started taking it to Yamaha near Olympic and they have a convenient glass siding the service area where you can sit and watch everything. Now I have a Honda but probably just take it to a local moto guy I know near Kandal market.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:21 am
Yes, certainly didn't want to make it a big deal but a funny story to relate I thought.

However, you make a very good point about watching everything.

Now that you mention it, I recall several years ago taking my then moto for a service to the small Yamaha shop/service place attached to Aeon 1 mall. There's like 2 sales staff and 1 service guy at the time. I drop the moto off and go do some shopping. Some time later, I started having battery problems. The moto was 2 years old. Now I'm not sure about batteries I guess it depends on the quality coz I later found out that there are cheap and heavy duty ones. That being said, I would've thought an original battery lasts longer than 2 years.. So I def wonder if he did a switcheroo.

Subsequent to that, I started taking it to Yamaha near Olympic and they have a convenient glass siding the service area where you can sit and watch everything. Now I have a Honda but probably just take it to a local moto guy I know near Kandal market.
Don't leave your expensive wine unattended, it might get switched for something cheap and nasty... :D
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Batteries degrade if not fully charged and usually last two years, even OEM ones, anyway.

I’ve heard that switcheroo story countless times for [insert item] but never known anyone who’s actually had it done and proved it.
Seems like a common myth.
People of the world, spice up your life.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I had a car service, oil, filter and they didn’t replace anything and put the old oil back in, as they drained it to replace the sump gasket.

Unbelievable.
People of the world, spice up your life.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

First place offered to give me new front suspension for 18$, second place offered to service the once I had for 24$.

Life is but a confusing series of events to me.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I had a flat battery in the red car early Saturday morning. I googled the battery cost, $165. Then called the insurance roadside assistance. Battery only 12 months old. Checked everything was working, gave me a new battery and he drove away. I was thinking of cancelling the insurance but that’s great service. All up less than an hour from my first phone call.
In the garage business in Cambodia they always steal the thermostat first. Easy to get at and used to be worth nearly a days pay. If you are not there they then begin swapping parts. The Chinese parts are so cheap and original second hand so much more valuable.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic