Thai beach declared disaster area after oil spill

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Thai beach declared disaster area after oil spill

Post by Ryan754326 »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:35 am This is quite massive, we are talking a huge fuck up here that will ruin the Eastern Seaboard coastline.
I’m not trying to play this down, obviously any amount of oil spilled is not a good thing, but 50,000 liters amounts to less than two standard tanker truck loads, so in the grand scheme of things, it’s really not going to have that much of an effect on the coastline.

If there were some way to measure it, I’d bet everything I have, that motorcycle mechanics dump more oil down storm drains in an average month.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Ryan754326 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:16 pm
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:35 am This is quite massive, we are talking a huge fuck up here that will ruin the Eastern Seaboard coastline.
I’m not trying to play this down, obviously any amount of oil spilled is not a good thing, but 50,000 liters amounts to less than two standard tanker truck loads, so in the grand scheme of things, it’s really not going to have that much of an effect on the coastline.

If there were some way to measure it, I’d bet everything I have, that motorcycle mechanics dump more oil down storm drains in an average month.
Nah, burnt engine oil is worth too much secondhand to waste dumping into the sewers
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Impact of Tuesday’s oil spill off Rayong could be worse than in 2013
| Voice of The Nation
A massive oil spill of 400,000 litres off the Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate in Rayong on Tuesday night led to concerns over its marine environmental impact with some fearing it could be much worse than the spill in 2013.

https://www.nationthailand.com/program/40011583
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

THAI NEWS REPORTS: The latest satellite image from 10:35am shows that the oil slick now covers an area of 51 square kilometres. The slick was only 7km from Koh Samet this morning. About 5km of Mae Ramphueng Beach is affected

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:20 pm
Nah, burnt engine oil is worth too much secondhand to waste dumping into the sewers
You might have got me here, but is the infrastructure in place for them to recycle it outside of the cities?

I’ve seen people out in the countryside dumping used oil into open sewers before, and burning it, along with plastic bottles and tires too. Now that I think about it, I’ve watched people burn all sorts of things that should be worth money to recyclers, or just throw it into the river.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Ryan754326 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:27 pm
You might have got me here, but is the infrastructure in place for them to recycle it outside of the cities?

I’ve seen people out in the countryside dumping used oil into open sewers before, and burning it, along with plastic bottles and tires too. Now that I think about it, I’ve watched people burn all sorts of things that should be worth money to recyclers, or just throw it into the river.
Well there are ignorant folk everywhere, but usually in countryside it goes into a drum and waits for the black oil buyer to come get it. 30l burned/old engine oil fetches like 600B
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:32 pm
Ryan754326 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:27 pm

Well there are ignorant folk everywhere, but usually in countryside it goes into a drum and waits for the black oil buyer to come get it. 30l burned/old engine oil fetches like 600B
Not ignorant just misinformed and or lack of education.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

mannanman wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:14 pm Not ignorant just misinformed and or lack of education.
That's the dictionary definition of ignorance...
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:52 pm
mannanman wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:14 pm Not ignorant just misinformed and or lack of education.
That's the dictionary definition of ignorance...
They’re not aware of dictionaries.
People of the world, spice up your life.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Ryan754326 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:16 pm
I’m not trying to play this down.... but 50,000 liters amounts to less than two standard tanker truck loads,
so in the grand scheme of things, it’s really not going to have that much of an effect on the coastline.

I'm not trying to play this up... but 50,000 litres is more than four largest size tanker truck loads.

(The Bangkok Post and others are quoting 160,00 litres, but it was deep submerged and continued for at least 24 hours so we don't really know)

In the grand scheme of things.. these constant incremental death events have a devastating effect on the health and marine life of the Gulf.

lol. You are obviously a "glass only half full of oil" kinda guy, Ryan.
Such optimism is (usually) admirable.
:beer3:
I'm more of a "the glass is half full of fucking oil" man myself.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic