Abusive teacher at Siem Reap School

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Abusive teacher at Siem Reap School

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Cam Nivag wrote:What is Chelsea's nationality?
It was mentioned that she is Nigerian, photos of her confirm that she is of black African ethnicity.
vladimir wrote:I'd also guess she's a self-professed evangelical Christian.
Apparently she is.
IraHayes wrote:If this were a male teacher he would have been hung, drawn and quartered a long time ago tbh.
Ain't that the truth, and probably labelled a paedophile for stripping a child of their clothing and making them stand around in their underwear.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Cam Nivag wrote:What is Chelsea's nationality?
It was mentioned that she is Nigerian, photos of her confirm that she is of black African ethnicity.
i don't want to say this, but some Africans make the whole Cambodians think that all black people are bad.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

The photo would be of no use without the child's face. She was drawing demeaning comments on it. The owner and several other members of the group agreed that it had to go because of that.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

A word of warning to teachers and would-be teachers:

Discipline is not a sought-after item here. The school may tell you that they want you to be strict, but in most cases they only tell you that for the sake of appearances.

When you see it, believe it, otherwise tread very carefully.

To clarify, what this woman did was totally unacceptable, and I hope she got fired. Another thing I've noticed amongst evangelical types is that they take every opportunity to prosletyze to children, even when 95% of student are Buddhists. It needs to stop. It starts very subtly, with them teaching songs to exercise to, to lower-grade students, then later it becomes full-scale.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Hey stroppychops, what's your stance on teachers trying to spread Christianity in the classroom. Acceptable or not? Serious question.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

MekongMouse wrote:Hey stroppychops, what's your stance on teachers trying to spread Christianity in the classroom. Acceptable or not? Serious question.
Serious answer - unless it's an openly Christian school with an openly Christian agenda and curriculum, it's not cool.

What's your stance?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

StroppyChops wrote:
MekongMouse wrote:Hey stroppychops, what's your stance on teachers trying to spread Christianity in the classroom. Acceptable or not? Serious question.
Serious answer - unless it's an openly Christian school with an openly Christian agenda and curriculum, it's not cool.

What's your stance?
Same.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Let's be clear, I would encourage teaching common values such as honesty, respect, etc, which are not only valued by Christians, plus a few unique lessons, turn the other cheek etc., but I have experience of some teachers, one filipina and one Nigerian, telling students under 6 years old about hell and brimstone.

There are sensible Christians and retard Christians, same as any faith. Whilst I don't agree with the idea that their faith is fact-based, I don't find them as offensive as some religions/sects, and generally speaking, Christian students are well-behaved.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

I'm with Dawkins on this one. Religious indoctrination, of any form, of children is tantamount to abuse. If you want to sell fiction, wait until someone is old enough to make up their own mind as to whether they want to buy in.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

TheGrinchSR wrote:I'm with Dawkins on this one. Religious indoctrination, of any form, of children is tantamount to abuse. If you want to sell fiction, wait until someone is old enough to make up their own mind as to whether they want to buy in.
Agree, but in GWB's case, can we wait a millenium?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic