Phnom Penh's Famous Sokha Hotel For Sale - Only $1.5b

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Phnom Penh's Famous Sokha Hotel For Sale - Only $1.5b

Post by mannanman »

Chroy Changvar is like the ginger stepchild of PP sangkats.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:37 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:52 pm
violet wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:27 pm Those who know - is that reasonable or is he dreaming?
Not a real estate guy, thankfully, but $1500,000,000 for some land with a substandard white elephant of a hotel sitting on top seems a touch high to me
Sure, it's a ridiculous price. The only time that hotel was ever busy was when people were forced to quarantine there. I suppose they need money to build more white elephants on Bokor.
Yes, and that hardly makes it a premium place..despite the strategic location at the junction of the 2 rivers. Besides, it takes too long to go to Nagaworld either via the ferry or Japanese bridge =@

So being commandeered for quarantine duties doesn't bode well for saleability purposes. Remember the Great Duke Hotel? The one that wasn't very viable and didn't pay their staff for months.. It met the same fate of being turned into a quarantine centre.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Does it have a fish bowl? If it doesn't it should if it wants to be viable.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:24 pm
violet wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:27 pm Those who know - is that reasonable or is he dreaming?
Not a real estate guy, thankfully, but $1500,000,000 for some land with a substandard white elephant of a hotel sitting on top seems a touch high to me
Sure, it's a ridiculous price. The only time that hotel was ever busy was when people were forced to quarantine there. I suppose they need money to build more white elephants on Bokor.

So being commandeered for quarantine duties doesn't bode well for saleability purposes. Remember the Great Duke Hotel? The one that wasn't very viable and didn't pay their staff for months.. It met the same fate of being turned into a quarantine centre.
To be fair, the great Duke (or the intercontinental hotel, as it was better known as), had already been shut down after 23 years of operation in December of 2019 before being pressed back into commission in April (I think) 2020 as a quarantine location, so hardly the same situation
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:31 pm
Clutch Cargo wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:24 pm

To be fair, the great Duke (or the intercontinental hotel, as it was better known as), had already been shut down after 23 years of operation in December of 2019 before being pressed back into commission in April (I think) 2020 as a quarantine location, so hardly the same situation
Both were underutilised and/or less than viable pre Covid. I mean you didn't see the Himawari or Cambodiana commissioned the same way. I suspect the Sokha desperately needed (or put their hand up for) the quarantine money to stay open.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hanno wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:01 pm I do not pretend to know how real estate works but I learned long time ago that in order to establish hotel room rates, you divide the investment per room by 1,000. Assuming an occupancy of 70% (unlikely), the average room rate would have to be $2,868 per night and room. More than a touch high.
I wonder how much his outstanding debt is on the place and whether his lenders know that formula? Buy those maths the hotel is about $150m plus the additional land value.

It sounds like a vanity listing to impress his mates.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Pretending a value of 1.5bn it may be easier to get some credit/loans for going concern.
work is for people who cant find truffles
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Any idea how much land we are talking about?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

From the government-friendly Fresh News:

Cambodia’s Tycoon Sok Kong Announces to Sell Sokha Hotel Phnom Penh for $1.5B
28/01/22 19:01
Phnom Penh (FN), Jan. 28 – Oknha Sok Kong, the founder of Sokimex, announced to sell Sokha Hotel Phnom Penh and surrounding areas in Chroy Changvar for USD1.5 billion and allocated that money to further develop Bokor’s Thansur Sokha Hotel and pay off debts.

Oknha Sok Kong spoke in an exclusive interview with Fresh News CEO Lim Chea Vutha on Friday.
“Nobody has yet contacted for any deal yet. They ask for the price. In this regard, I would sell them for USD1.5 billion and used that money to further develop Thansur Sokha Hotel and pay off debts,” the tycoon said.

On 25 January 2022, Sok Kong announced to build a road connecting National Road 4 to Bokor Mountain with a length of about 27 kilometers.
=FRESH NEWS
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:46 pm 6 mins ago - BREAKING NEWS
For sale: Phnom Penh’s iconic Sokha Hotel – price-tag $1.5 billion

No, just in the past, someone asked me if I want to sell, how much? I said that if I sell, I will sell for 1.5 billion dollars, and if I can sell, I will use some money to further develop the Bokor resort because I need to develop other areas and some to pay off their debts .”
Sounds like a fishing lure for a bite on Bokor!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic