Southeast Asia’s roads more dangerous than Covid

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Southeast Asia’s roads more dangerous than Covid

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

They hear what we say...

Cambodia, USAID to Continue Cooperation in Fighting Infectious Diseases
AKP Phnom Penh, January 28, 2022 --

Cambodia and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) have expressed their commitment especially on fighting infectious diseases including HIV/AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis.

The commitment was stressed during a recent meeting here at the Ministry of Health’s office between Dr. Or Vandine, Secretary of State at the Ministry of Health and Ms. Nancy Eslick, the Mission Director for USAID in Cambodia.
-AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

mannanman wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:05 pm
AndyKK wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:36 am Its worth noting that the vaccine will again not give you 100% protection, it will probably offer no protection at all. only cure is to get medication in time, and of course to take it, here lies the problem, without outside aid and help it will spread uncontrollably. The WHO and Cambodia have already admitted the testing and treatments have been overlooked with covid19, and TB is rifer then the covid virus here.
Sorry, are you talking about the Covid vaccine when you say it “probably” won’t give you any protection? And what basis did you come up with that erroneous fact?

No one ever said it gives 100% protection.

If you’re talking about TB then the same applies.
Yes, I am talking of the TB not covid. I know no vaccine gives you 100% protection.
So, you are accusing me of giving incorrect information, without fact or truth. What is your basis of your accusation? Firstly, I have suffered MDR TB, also known 2 westerners and a Cambodian to loss their lives to TB here.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:22 pm
AndyKK wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:36 am Its worth noting that the vaccine will again not give you 100% protection, it will probably offer no protection at all. only cure is to get medication in time, and of course to take it, here lies the problem, without outside aid and help it will spread uncontrollably. The WHO and Cambodia have already admitted the testing and treatments have been overlooked with covid19, and TB is rifer then the covid virus here.
Sorry, are you talking about the Covid vaccine when you say it “probably” won’t give you any protection? And what basis did you come up with that erroneous fact?

Yes, I am talking of the TB not covid. I know no vaccine gives you 100% protection.
So, you are accusing me of giving incorrect information, without fact or truth. What is your basis of your accusation? Firstly, I have suffered MDR TB, also known 2 westerners and a Cambodian to loss their lives to TB here.
You said (whatever vaccine you choose) “probably offer no protection” so unless you have facts (or you’re a scientist or medical professional) then yes incorrect, especially TB. Just because people die or get sick means fuck all.

It’s nonsense like this that what used to be on the fringes of conspiracies crap is now mainstream.

Sorry you got sick but don’t let your head rule your opinions.

Also to add, I know you’re going through a tough time now so I’ll bow out of this petty argument. Good luck to you and your wife. :good:
People of the world, spice up your life.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

mannanman wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:13 pm

You said (whatever vaccine you choose) “probably offer no protection” so unless you have facts (or you’re a scientist or medical professional) then yes incorrect, especially TB. Just because people die or get sick means fuck all.

It’s nonsense like this that what used to be on the fringes of conspiracies crap is now mainstream.

Also to add, I know you’re going through a tough time now so I’ll bow out of this petty argument. Good luck to you and your wife. :good:
LOOK again at my post -
Its worth noting that the vaccine will again not give you 100% protection, it will probably offer no protection at all. only cure is to get medication in time, and of course to take it, here lies the problem, without outside aid and help it will spread uncontrollably. The WHO and Cambodia have already admitted the testing and treatments have been overlooked with covid19, and TB is rifer then the covid virus here.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

mannanman wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:13 pm

From WHO and my ancient text book - The bacille Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccine has existed for 80 years and is one of the most widely used of all current vaccines, reading >80%of neonates and infants in countries where it is part of the national childhood immunization programme. BCG vaccine has a documented protective effect against meningitis and disseminated TB in children. It does not prevent primary infection and, more importantly, does not prevent reactivation of latent pulmonary infection, the principal source of bacillary spread in the community. The impact of BCG vaccination on transmission of Mtb is therefore limited.

Most Western and north Asian countries stopped using BCG many years ago because of low efficacy and because if you are vaccinated then skin testing you for TB usually results in a false-positive. This makes proper diagnosis for TB more difficult. More than 80% of Cambodians over 30 years of age have been exposed to mycobacterium tuberculosis, meaning they will test positive for TB but not necessarily experiencing symptomatic TB. But just one immune-regulating or comprising incident with their health could cause activation.

In Cambodia, be careful who you swap sputum with. This is not a joke.

Peace!
tears_in_rain
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by tears_in_rain »

By far the greatest risk to expats living in Southeast Asia is Road accidents. Not drugs, not alcohol; not getting murdered by the bargirl's boyfriend. I don't think that most English teachers realize that traveling to work on the back of a motorcycle is statistically more dangerous than irresponsible behavior in bars and using drugs.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

You know what's more dangerous than COVID? Driving around at high speed while drunk and fucked up on crystal meth with underlying COVID symptoms. That is the pits.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Following traffic laws is something everyone CAN do. It is hard to not get a disease or a heart attack. It is frustrating that traffic laws are a suggestion pretty much everywhere in Asia.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:06 am What about the Chinese-caused accidents and deaths on these Cambodia roads statistics ?
How big a chunk of it are they ?
Not enough...
Oh sorry is that a bit racist? my apologies, me old china
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:42 am You know what's more dangerous than COVID? Driving around at high speed while drunk and fucked up on crystal meth with underlying COVID symptoms. That is the pits.
yeah but its fun while it lasts
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic