One way ticket to Cambodia?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

One way ticket to Cambodia?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Is it still the case that you don't necessarily need a return ticket when checking-in at the airport in your home country to fly to Cambodia?

Or do you have to show an onwards flight out of Cambodia? Is that even necessary if you already have a 12 mth visa extension of stay allowing multiple entry?

Pre covid, I always had return flights out of my home country but I recall an OZ friend saying back then it wasn't necessary and that he just booked one way tickets to come to PP on a tourist visa. But that was before covid...

Has anything changed?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: One way ticket to Cambodia?

Post by atst »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:18 pm Is it still the case that you don't necessarily need a return ticket when checking-in at the airport in your home country to fly to Cambodia?

Or do you have to show an onwards flight out of Cambodia? Is that even necessary if you already have a 12 mth visa extension of stay allowing multiple entry?

Pre covid, I always had return flights out of my home country but I recall an OZ friend saying back then it wasn't necessary and that he just booked one way tickets to come to PP on a tourist visa. But that was before covid...

Has anything changed?
I arrived on a one way ticket in November always have for years and never been asked.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

It all depends on how you arrive in Cambodia. It happened to me twice that I had to book a ticket out of Thailand (I had a ticket to BKK one way only at boarding in Switzerland with Thai Airways and once the same happened from Rome with Sri Lankan. I was about to go to Cambodia overland from BKK after spending the visa free period 30 days of Thailand.
So at check-in (boarding the flight to BKK) the counter lady told me that since i had no ticket out of Thailand and no residential visa of Thailand in my passport I would need proof of onward travel. After long discussion (they would not let me board) i decided to book the cheapest ticket out of Thailand (AA flight to Malaysia for some bucks).

So its the airlines that may cause problem. I have been in and out of Cambodia (overland and airport) many times without any onward flights booked at all so the immigration Cambodia never caused me any problems,
work is for people who cant find truffles
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

"Do I need to have a return flight/onward journey booked when travelling to Cambodia?"

Short answer = NO

A return flight/onward journey is not a requirement for entry into Cambodia... however, some airlines may insist on it, particularly for those travelling on a Tourist Visa, so it is advisable to contact your airlines to double check what criteria they are applying to avoid being denied check-in.

To be on the safe side, you can always purchase a reservation from a website such as onwardticket.com
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I sent an email query to Singapore airlines and got an automated reply:
We are currently encountering high volume and will do our best to respond to you within 15 business days.
:shock:
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:20 pm I sent an email query to Singapore airlines and got an automated reply:
We are currently encountering high volume and will do our best to respond to you within 15 business days.
That’s insane. Do they even know what industry they’re in?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

The airline has the ultimate responsibility of returning the passenger if they are refused entry for this reason - including the costs and sorting out any complications - so they tend to be overcautious regardless of the particular country's regulations.

On a number of occasions i have been initially "refused" boarding for this reason - but after politely and confidently explaining both Thai and Cambodia's actual rules i have alway been allowed to proceed.
However i have heard first hand stories of unwarranted refusals - but as PSD said ^^ that is quite easily overcome. (usually)
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@SternAAlbifrons explained why airlines may insist on a return ticket, travellers can sometimes request to sign a waiver exonnerating the airline from being responsible for the repatriation costs if the traveller is denied entry on arrival, but sometimes it is just less hassle to get an onwardticket.com reservation.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Its easy to have a onward ticket nowdays, every kid can do it in PS in 5 min.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

nerdlinger wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:33 pm
Clutch Cargo wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:20 pm I sent an email query to Singapore airlines and got an automated reply:
That’s insane. Do they even know what industry they’re in?
Yeah, I was a bit surprised with the 15 days business days but in fairness they did also say:
Please note that we will also be prioritising passengers with urgent travel within next 2 days.
and they have a online chat service too but prefer something in writing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic