Mask exemption in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Mask exemption in Cambodia

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Mandatory mask wearing outdoors is insanity

Is it mandatory to wear a mask outdoors in PP?

I keep a mask with me, and take it out and wear if I am going to a shop or market, but I'd never consider wearing one outdoors unless I lived in smoggy Hanoi or something
Wkkep
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Wkkep »

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell

Out come the same redundant arguments on the efficacy of masks.
There's the common "Well I don't have a problem, so you must be lying", giving no credence to medical conditions ranging from the physical (hypercapnia) to the mental (anxiety from previous damaging experiences).

Then there's the oft-used statement about surgeons. This comparison is usually made by people who get their information on face masks from watching "Grey's Anatomy". They have no idea that a surgeon wears a 'surgical' mask (which is likely nothing like the masks most people wear now). Nor is there any comment about the highly sterile and oxygenated operating room. Also missing is the fact that the mask is replaced as soon as evidence of excessive moisture is observed. The idea that surgeons work for 12 hours at a time wearing a mask is clear evidence of where this opinion originated.

These are the same people that grab the mask NOT by the elastic, but by the main section and happily put it in their pockets or on the table-top when they have a bite to eat, or shove it down onto their neck to take a drink. Then they make matters worse by wearing the mask for hours on end.

I wear a reusable cotton mask, which according to the CDC has an efficacy of 1-2.3% (from memory). I know this is a placebo, but I have actually done some research and know that the disposable masks that are available to me, and which I can afford, are shite because I read the information (or lack of it) on the box.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Alex wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:18 pm
Wkkep wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:37 am Does Cambodia allow a mask exemption with a medical certificate?
Are you for real? I do realize that there are a few quacks in certain Western countries who are willing to provide those certificates to special cookies, but you really shouldn't assume that such a certificate and the imbecile refusal to mask up are accepted or tolerated anywhere.
Here's a man who knows no shades of gray!
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Wkkep wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:57 pm
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell

Out come the same redundant arguments on the efficacy of masks.

Then there's the oft-used statement about surgeons. This comparison is usually made by people who get their information on face masks from watching "Grey's Anatomy". They have no idea that a surgeon wears a 'surgical' mask (which is likely nothing like the masks most people wear now).
My surgeon mask comparison (which I'm assuming the above arrogant response is connected to) related to the imposition some people find in the wearing of them, with no reference or suggestion whatsoever to efficacy.
"To me, one of the most important skills learned in elementary school is reading comprehension - Erik Mickelson"
Edited because English doesn't appear to be my first language.
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Just like the surgeon I do not wear a mask to protect myself from anything, but to protect the person in front of me in case I cough or sneeze.

Then there is the old "When in Rome, do like the Romans...", I wear a mask when driving my motorbike (makes no sense) and when walking around town, again makes little sense cause all outdoor and not much people. Then when I go into a bar or restaurant I take it off, again makes little sense cause now there is actually people around but this is how we roll in Cambodia. Easiest is to roll with it, just get a cool looking mask and u good!
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

As per the above couple of posts, I wear one in the shops and places where it's required. I also wear one outdoors and in the street. Initially, coz it was mandatory and you risked getting fined. Now, I notice that many people don't wear them or improperly outdoors. However, I've continued to more out of respect for the khmers. Being a foreigner here, I don't want to be seen in the neighbourhood as a Novax, arrogant type. As others have said, no big deal/inconvenience to wear one imo.

I have little doubt that not wearing one outdoors as you're walking along in the open air there is any/much risk at all. Rather, as I said, it's more of a statement. Nevertheless, last night I went for a walk along riverside and tried without wearing one and I felt positively naked lol.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:10 pm
Alex wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:18 pm
Wkkep wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:37 am Does Cambodia allow a mask exemption with a medical certificate?
Are you for real? I do realize that there are a few quacks in certain Western countries who are willing to provide those certificates to special cookies, but you really shouldn't assume that such a certificate and the imbecile refusal to mask up are accepted or tolerated anywhere.
Here's a man who knows no shades of gray!
You got that right. When someone is spitting Covid in my face, I don't care why they think they're entitled not to wear a mask. If you're out and about and come within spitting distance, wear a fucking mask.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

by MAGA » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:50 am

I don't wear it frequently. Most places don't care. If they say something, put it around your chin. Banks and Super Duper accept this way. Mouth and nose fully free. I however, wouldn't trust the traffic police, so it's around my chin. Been doing this for three months already.
Presumably unvaxxed as well?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

nemo wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:48 pm
Presumably unvaxxed as well?
With a penchant for guns and a wall?
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

I know it's a dumb question, but will a mask exemption stop you getting covid or will it just stop you giving covid to other people ?
Spoiler:
I think I deserve a dumb answer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic