Thich Nhat Hanh: 'Father of mindfulness' Buddhist monk dies aged 95

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Thich Nhat Hanh: 'Father of mindfulness' Buddhist monk dies aged 95

Post by yongchi »

[Thich Nhat Hanh, an influential Vietnamese Buddhist monk, has died at the age of 95.

His Zen teaching organisation, Plum Village, said the monk "passed away peacefully" at the Tu Hieu Temple in Hue, Vietnam on Saturday.

A prolific author and peace activist, Thich Nhat Hanh, is often referred to as the "father of mindfulness".

On Twitter, his organisation called for its followers to hold Thich Nhat Hanh "in our hearts".

Thich Nhat Hanh, was exiled from Vietnam in the 1960s after opposing the war."]
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-60092461

Many moons ago, his books were among the first Buddhist literature for me and I found them to be very accessible.
I am going to re-read one of his books.
R.I.P.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thich Nhat Hanh: 'Father of mindfulness' Buddhist monk dies aged 95

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Buddhist monk who brought mindfulness to West dies in Vietnam
BY: Agence France-Presse (AFP) January 22, 2022 9:49 AM

Hanoi, Vietnam | Vietnamese monk-turned-peace-activist Thich Nhat Hanh, a hugely influential Buddhist credited with bringing mindfulness to the West, has died aged 95.

The Zen master, whose reach within Buddhism is seen as second only to the Dalai Lama, spent nearly four decades in exile after being banished from his homeland for calling for an end to the Vietnam-American War.

Thich Nhat Hanh "passed away peacefully" at the Tu Hieu Temple in the city of Hue, Vietnam's Buddhist heartland, his Zen teaching organisation, the Plum Village Community of Engaged Buddhism, said.

"We invite our beloved global spiritual family to take a few moments to be still, to come back to our mindful breathing, as we together hold Thay in our hearts," the organisation said on Nhat Hanh's Twitter account, using the Vietnamese word for teacher.
https://cambodianess.com/article/buddhi ... in-vietnam
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I have always been just a bit of a supermarket browser on all this stuff. But my left side brain is just so locked into logical practical scientific explanations that any kind of mumbo jumbo and i'm off.

Since rejecting, after a fair effort, the spiritual wasteland that was the suburban protestantism of my childhood, i have only once loosely been connected to any kind of religious group or practice - Thich Nhat Hanh's school of Zen, under an authentic ancient Japanese zen master.
(70 something going on 25 - the most alive no-bs man i have ever met in my life)

Ver little mumbo jumbo there, just a way to make simple things like awareness, compassion, presence et al seem like the most plainly obvious logical scientific best way of going about your daily life.

A deep deep long thoughtfree bow... to a very rare Master
and a deep vibrating humm from the body that can be felt right around the world,
he showed us how

and yeah like Yongchi suggests - time again to take out one of his books.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

you made me curious..must dig into it.
work is for people who cant find truffles
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:24 pm I have always been just a bit of a supermarket browser on all this stuff. But my left side brain is just so locked into logical practical scientific explanations that any kind of mumbo jumbo and i'm off.

Since rejecting, after a fair effort, the spiritual wasteland that was the suburban protestantism of my childhood, i have only once loosely been connected to any kind of religious group or practice - Thich Nhat Hanh's school of Zen, under an authentic ancient Japanese zen master.
(70 something going on 25 - the most alive no-bs man i have ever met in my life)

Ver little mumbo jumbo there, just a way to make simple things like awareness, compassion, presence et al seem like the most plainly obvious logical scientific best way of going about your daily life.

A deep deep long thoughtfree bow... to a very rare Master
and a deep vibrating humm from the body that can be felt right around the world,
he showed us how

and yeah like Yongchi suggests - time again to take out one of his books.
I'm with you on this every now and then you meet some guru and you get a warm fuzzy feeling right up to when they ask for a donation or buy my book
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

"warm fuzzy feeling" ^^
oh Yuk

Lol, in my hunt for a good doctor recently i investigated a local groovy GP.
A flocking doctor with pink, crystal implanted dolphins jumping out off the surgery walls at me. ffs, with elfs in the saddle. More Buddhas than a pawn shop in Taipei.
"warm fuzzy feeling". Is that when you feel the hackles rising?

Thich Nhat Hanh's style of zen is authentic.
Clear sighted, hardcore reality - no fuzz, no sentimentality. (but strangely ?? producing bucketloads of true compassion)
Despite a (very) few eastern trappings, and the ancient methods of course, it is far more down to earth and relatable than most of the new commercial Wellness operators, eg - and even some doctors it seems. All that warm and fuzzy crap.

ps, when i say "scientific" - i mean like "cause and effect"
Your life is in your own hands. up to you. get real. - Not too many fuzzies in that.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

We mourn the loss of one of the greatest humans and truly inspirational leaders to have passed through here lately. If the Buddhists are on to 10% of what we think they are on to that leaves us feeling a bit decayed down here on earth and due for a visit from Maitreya.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic