Canadian Francis Graham Arrested in Sihanoukville, NO VISA

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Canadian Francis Graham Arrested in Sihanoukville, NO VI

Post by Cam Nivag »

No Canadian embassy in Cambodia so they go to the Australian embassy for consular services?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Cam Nivag wrote:No Canadian embassy in Cambodia so they go to the Australian embassy for consular services?
Correct
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

I see, apparently they closed it down.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Frank in Asia wrote:Just wrote an extensive response, then was told that I hadn't logged in? Anyway, Jan/29 my moneybelt w/all ID & over $300usd was removed from my pocket while at a bar in Otres #1. Went to different police stations at various times for police report, which nobody seemed to want to do. Had x-wife fly to Cambodia with passport application docs & new bank card, in June/14. Received new passport from Aus embassy in PP in Aug/14. Each month had money, food, other items mysteriously disappear, despite a change in residence & replacing 7 or 8 padlocks. Police lived next to me, sporadically for the 7 months I lived at Otres, continuously for the 8 months I lived in town. Nobody seemed to notice my home being entered. I have 2 pensions, am not a millionaire, nor, destitute. Overall, an experience not to be repeated. The Aus Embassy Rep said, "Hell hath no fury like a Filipina." I'm, currently, visiting my x-wife in her native Philippines. We'll see.
Without wishing to resurrect the destitute brits follow-on, together with its attendant acrimony, please note, people, the kind of cooperation people can expect from the police, and the hassle it is to file a report. Add the ' fee' to this, and you have the reasons why many people never even bother.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Frank in Asia wrote:Just wrote an extensive response, then was told that I hadn't logged in? Anyway, Jan/29 my moneybelt w/all ID & over $300usd was removed from my pocket while at a bar in Otres #1. Went to different police stations at various times for police report, which nobody seemed to want to do. Had x-wife fly to Cambodia with passport application docs & new bank card, in June/14. Received new passport from Aus embassy in PP in Aug/14. Each month had money, food, other items mysteriously disappear, despite a change in residence & replacing 7 or 8 padlocks. Police lived next to me, sporadically for the 7 months I lived at Otres, continuously for the 8 months I lived in town. Nobody seemed to notice my home being entered. I have 2 pensions, am not a millionaire, nor, destitute. Overall, an experience not to be repeated. The Aus Embassy Rep said, "Hell hath no fury like a Filipina." I'm, currently, visiting my x-wife in her native Philippines. We'll see.
Your passport was stolen in January 2014, you lived without a passport for 6-7 months until getting it replaced in August 2014, then you made no effort to get a replacement visa until you were arrested in May of 2015?

Just about every Sihanoukville overstayer claims to be the victim of a stolen passport. I think if you're arrested for not having a visa in May of 2015, you can't reasonably blame that on your passport being lost or stolen 16 months earlier.

How long did they keep you in the immigration lockup? Just a few days or longer?
Frank in Asia
Tourist

Post by Frank in Asia »

I had an extended visa which was good through May/14. I couldn't get a visa prior to mid-august/14 because no passport. After that... I'm trying to think of how I respond further without being barred re-entry, because I wish to return for a short time in about 5-6 months. Sound a bit paranoid? That's what I would've thought/said before I resided in Cambodia. Now, discretion seems the better part of valour. Face is a funny thing, there. It seems more attached to ego than honour and, seemingly, flows one way only.
Frank in Asia
Tourist

Post by Frank in Asia »

almost 3 weeks in immigration.
Frank in Asia
Tourist

Post by Frank in Asia »

Don't mistake my responses as a claim of complete innocence. I do accept partial blame for the overstay and had the opportunities to leave, albeit, illegally.
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

Were there any talks about work permits when you were arrested? I'm surprised that they let you stay and get your passport and visa in order when you, most likely, didn't have the required work permit.

Did you have to bribe them? How much? Do you think there's a risk that they let you go knowing that you're on the radar for work permit related extortion?
Frank in Asia
Tourist

Post by Frank in Asia »

I never worked in Cambodia. I have no interest/need in such.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic