Fish Farming

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Fish Farming

Post by Tootsfriend »

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501008716/ ... -province/

I am 100 % for fish farming ,
Spoiler:
I will wait for a bite before I explain why .
But why would a Chinese company want to establish one in Cambodia when there are all those reclaimed islands in the SC sea with lots of sparkling blue water.
Note
2,000 Ha = 20 square km, which means an area of 5 km by 80 km could be a NO GO area.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Fish Farming

Post by John Bingham »

Tootsfriend wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:23 am
2,000 Ha = 20 square km, which means an area of 5 km by 80 km could be a NO GO area.
5 X 80 would be 400 square km. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:47 am
Tootsfriend wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:23 am
5 X 80 would be 400 square km. :?

I was using the Chinese measuring system for claiming land
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I seem to recall that I read somewhere, that here was talk some time ago, about inland fish farming to be taken on by some rich and powerful of the country. It tied in at the time with the hydro projects and the obvious lack of fish in the rivers, and most of all the Tonle Sap. So, all in all a substantial lack of foods for many.
When you look at the latest news of the boat people (illegal Vietnamese) (who, being fish farmers) removed from the Bassac River, no Cambodian has taken their place. Just to clarify, I knew of a Cambodian family who fish farmed until the authorities, apparently, (only knowing what was translated) took too much in bribes that the business now failed to outside costs.
So overall, it would only be feasible for government recommendations, or that of a position of power to make such a venture work.

Now is your post about fish farming or Chinese taking land or sea?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

a lot of fish farming is not obvious as it happens in padis
https://youtu.be/PHMNKidflec
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

All corporation are in for a quid at the lowest denominator , no regards for the environment.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:19 pm When you look at the latest news of the boat people (illegal Vietnamese) (who, being fish farmers) removed from the Bassac River, no Cambodian has taken their place.
I was around Chruoy Changva recently and lots of Cham fisher-folk are still moored up.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

You'll eat the Chinese grown soylentfish and you'll like it
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:16 pm
AndyKK wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:19 pm When you look at the latest news of the boat people (illegal Vietnamese) (who, being fish farmers) removed from the Bassac River, no Cambodian has taken their place.
I was around Chruoy Changva recently and lots of Cham fisher-folk are still moored up.
Most certainly John, because they are moored up working boats and Cham fishermen. Like the ones in the photo, here the Cham fishing community on the Bassic River have their houses up the riverbank.

I was not referring to the fishermen but of the fish farms, such has the illegals who were deported.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

nemo wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:34 pm a lot of fish farming is not obvious as it happens in padis
https://youtu.be/PHMNKidflec
The basic origins of aquaponics'
The photo I took form the train, Kampot to Phnom Penh. You can see a lot of countryside from the comfort of the aircon train journey, here the villagers are catching the fish before harvesting the rice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic