Tested Positive on Arrival?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Tested Positive on Arrival?

Post by Tootsfriend »

truffledog wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:27 am
cambo swa wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:09 am
nerdlinger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:07 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:42 pm Small selection of pictures of what to expect at Government hospitals/quarantine centres...

Holy shit that is grim. So if you show up with a minor bit of symptomless Omicron they lock you in a huge room full of Delta and Alpha patients so you can catch the much worse variants too?
Going back to the first post from the all knowing PSD KIWI, one of the potential landing spots if you test positive for COVID even without symptoms is The National Centre for Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control (CENAT). Now that is grim.
Well thats surely not the ICU,..with mild symptoms you basically need oxygen only. Judging from the fact there is NOT one Oxygen bottle on the pic I must assume that this is the "asymptomatic" department. There is worse in this world to spend 2 weeks.
Look at the good side. They don't call it a Covid Isolation Center.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

xandreu wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:36 pm It seems that Cambodia is one of the few countries left which are still pursuing a zero-covid policy, whereas most of the rest of the world (except China) have now moved on and accepted that Covid, especially with the Omicron variant, is now pretty much endemic and these sorts of drastic measures are no longer effective.

For as long as they try to keep Omicron out of the country, Delta, the much more severe strain, will remain the dominant strain and put many more people's lives at risk. Omicron, to me, seems to be the much, much lesser of the two evils and it doesn't make sense to try to try to keep it out. Much better to 'let it rip' so to speak, allow it to destroy Delta, and then deal with the much, much less number of serious cases.

I know Omicron is still deadly and there will still be deaths, but all of the data so far indicates that it makes no sense to try and prevent its spread. Firstly, you just can't. And secondly, it is the next natural phase of this pandemic which is looking like it just might be the final phase which pushes COVID into the endemic stage and might start to bring all of this mess to some sort of closure (although of course, it will always be around).

I think that once Omicron is everywhere, as it soon will be, they will see that there is absolutely no point in measures such as this.
I guess it's a moot point but I don't really see Cambodia as pursuing zero covid. Not with borders now open to tourists (via prior approval), no lockdowns and the decision to only test and count local people for covid if they have symptoms. Compare that with what Australia was doing until recently and what China is doing now and it's just not same in my book.

Re Omicron, whilst it has been reported as less deadly, it still in Australia at least, resulting in an increase in hospitalisation since they opened up and Omicron spreading like crazy. And with some hospital staff isolating, they are under strain more than ever.

Maybe the authorities here are just trying to slow it down a bit by isolating Omicron positive people but for sure it's not sustainable given the number of people that won't even get a test here.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

@xandreu There's nothing stopping someone with Omicron from being infected with delta and vice versa so there's no benefit it allowing one strain to spread with ease. It's also not possible to identify what strain someone has without extensive lab work. Also the more covid spreads the more oppourtunities it has to mutate with the next strain to emerge having the potential to be more deadly than the current ones.
Scarier than malaria.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

ali baba wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:02 pm @xandreu There's nothing stopping someone with Omicron from being infected with delta and vice versa so there's no benefit it allowing one strain to spread with ease. It's also not possible to identify what strain someone has without extensive lab work. Also the more covid spreads the more oppourtunities it has to mutate with the next strain to emerge having the potential to be more deadly than the current ones.
OK. I'm not a professional in these matters in any way whatsoever so, like most people I have to base my information solely on what I consider reasonably reliable and unbiased scientific things I read / watch online. And it's been my understanding for a while now that countries where Omicron has spread rapidly, S.Africa, the UK and currently the US for example, it has virtually wiped Delta out almost entirely.

But I don't claim to be expert enough to debate anyone on this. It's just been my understanding from the many sources I've come across.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

ali baba wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:02 pm @xandreu There's nothing stopping someone with Omicron from being infected with delta and vice versa so there's no benefit it allowing one strain to spread with ease.

I don't believe this is true. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59970281

It's also not possible to identify what strain someone has without extensive lab work.

Sequencing of variants is done on a widespread basis in many countries. The USA is notably behind on this.

Also the more covid spreads the more oppourtunities it has to mutate with the next strain to emerge having the potential to be more deadly than the current ones.

I don't think this is the current thinking. Again:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59970281
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:14 pm
ali baba wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:02 pm @xandreu There's nothing stopping someone with Omicron from being infected with delta and vice versa so there's no benefit it allowing one strain to spread with ease.
I don't believe this is true. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59970281
One constant throughout this pandemic is a tendency towards binary thinking.

The vaccine doesn’t stop all infections therefore it doesn’t work. Closing borders doesn’t catch all cases therefore closing borders doesn’t work. There are cases of people getting Delta after Omicron therefore getting Omicron does nothing to prevent Delta.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

A tourists experience of testing positive prior to departing Cambodia in Siem Reap....

ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

xandreu wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:27 pm
ali baba wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:02 pm @xandreu There's nothing stopping someone with Omicron from being infected with delta and vice versa so there's no benefit it allowing one strain to spread with ease. It's also not possible to identify what strain someone has without extensive lab work. Also the more covid spreads the more oppourtunities it has to mutate with the next strain to emerge having the potential to be more deadly than the current ones.
OK. I'm not a professional in these matters in any way whatsoever so, like most people I have to base my information solely on what I consider reasonably reliable and unbiased scientific things I read / watch online. And it's been my understanding for a while now that countries where Omicron has spread rapidly, S.Africa, the UK and currently the US for example, it has virtually wiped Delta out almost entirely.

But I don't claim to be expert enough to debate anyone on this. It's just been my understanding from the many sources I've come across.
There are countries reporting 100% omnicron in significantly large provinces, it has came in with force and in some places completely eradicated delta. Not to say delta is still not an issue but this omnicron takeover is happening.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
anasko
Tourist
Ukraine

Post by anasko »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:38 am A tourists experience of testing positive prior to departing Cambodia in Siem Reap....

Wow that sounds even worse than Chak Angre. He should have just locked himself in his hotel room.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:38 am A tourists experience of testing positive prior to departing Cambodia in Siem Reap....
Mindboggling. Have to suppose this person had no insurance or money for a real hospital, also with little knowledge of Cambodia and how things work here. I have a hard time seeing myself ending up in a place like that but yea, shit happens.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic