Visa to start a new business catch-22

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Visa to start a new business catch-22

Post by nerdlinger »

From what I can tell to get a visa you need a letter from a registered company.

To register a company you need to have set up a bank account with paid up capital and also secured an office, amongst other things that are impractical do to without being in the country.

Is there a formal way around this catch-22? I’ve been on this board long enough to know that half of you will tell me to come in on a tourist visa and grease a few palms later, but I’d like to try to get as much done by the book as possible.

Also I notice to sponsor a work permit your company needs a ratio of 9:1 locals to foreigners - does this include company directors? Seems like there must be some formal way of handling foreign-run small businesses…
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Visa to start a new business catch-22

Post by Username Taken »

I'm going to assume that you've never lived in Cambodia, and quite possibly never even visited. Getting anything done by the book in Cambodia can be expensive, and is not really the way that Cambodia works, whether you like it or not.

There have been countless foreigners over the years thinking that they could/would get things done 'by the book', but it always seems to end up in them losing everything and heading for the border with their tail between their legs trying to avoid the 'told you sos'. (Even those coming in to invest huge sums).

Whether you like it or not, this is the best advice you will get. Like it or lump it >> post529207.html#p529207

Alternatively, if you have big bucks, you could try the Council for the Development of Cambodia >> http://www.cambodiainvestment.gov.kh/
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:36 am I'm going to assume that you've never lived in Cambodia, and quite possibly never even visited. Getting anything done by the book in Cambodia can be expensive, and is not really the way that Cambodia works, whether you like it or not.

There have been countless foreigners over the years thinking that they could/would get things done 'by the book', but it always seems to end up in them losing everything and heading for the border with their tail between their legs trying to avoid the 'told you sos'. (Even those coming in to invest huge sums).
Yeah I don’t need the condescending crap. I’m not as naive as you think. But it makes sense to at least try not to break the law early doors as the first choice option.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

nerdlinger wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:13 am
Username Taken wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:36 am I'm going to assume that you've never lived in Cambodia, and quite possibly never even visited. Getting anything done by the book in Cambodia can be expensive, and is not really the way that Cambodia works, whether you like it or not.

Yeah I don’t need the condescending crap. I’m not as naive as you think. But it makes sense to at least try not to break the law early doors as the first choice option.
its not crap, its valid up to date info for entering and getting a business/ordinary visa Currently if ur not employed or have someone willing to send you an employment letter

I'd love to see a response to "I'm going to assume that you've never lived in Cambodia, and quite possibly never even visite"
True or not?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

nerdlinger wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:02 am
Also I notice to sponsor a work permit your company needs a ratio of 9:1 locals to foreigners - does this include company directors? Seems like there must be some formal way of handling foreign-run small businesses…
No, the foreign employee quota doesn't apply to the owner/director, only employees.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

I found this firm very good
Ms. Pheakdey Loem
Marketing Manager
Tel: 086224890
https://t.me/ndmamedia
[email protected]
https://ndmamedia.com/
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Out of curiosity and leaving the visa issue aside, do "shelf companies" exist that you can just buy off an incorporation agent, ready for use?
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

from my experience no , not found any at least if they did they could come with baggage (debit) further a corporation is pretty much useless without a bank account and these days one must appear to open that.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:40 am
nerdlinger wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:13 am

its not crap, its valid up to date info for entering and getting a business/ordinary visa Currently if ur not employed or have someone willing to send you an employment letter

I'd love to see a response to "I'm going to assume that you've never lived in Cambodia, and quite possibly never even visite"
True or not?
I was referring to the completely unnecessary first two paragraphs. And yes, I have been to Cambodia, and I’ve lived and worked in 6 other countries, and I’m aware that Cambodia is a developing country, so y’all can stop smugly treating me like an idiot child.

The big irony is that the reason I explicitly mentioned wanting to find out the legal way of doing it in my opening post was because I already knew how half of you would react to the idea, so treating me like I’m being naive on the topic when I already called out what you were going to say shows a stunning lack of self-awareness on your part(s) too.
Last edited by nerdlinger on Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Alex wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:50 am Out of curiosity and leaving the visa issue aside, do "shelf companies" exist that you can just buy off an incorporation agent, ready for use?
I have wondered about those - I’ve seen mention of them in a few places. My concern with them is how do I make sure that whoever set this company up hasn’t run up a bunch of secret debts or other liabilities against it that I’d become liable for?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic