Visa to start a new business catch-22

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Visa to start a new business catch-22

Post by nerdlinger »

Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:54 pm Does anyone know a barang, running a company in PP, by the book, who makes really "nice" profit ???
And with nice i would say +1500 US/month ??
This fkin forum, man. I ask how to get a visa legally, and everyone’s mocking me for not wanting to get a dodgy one under the table as my first resort. Sometimes I get the feeling some of you actually *like* the corruption, like it makes you feel edgy.

Yeah I get it, sometimes there’s a “cost of doing business”, tea money, whatever, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t at least make *some* effort to at least find out what the correct process is before running off to some random telegram number to pay some Del Boy $300 and hand him my passport.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

nerdlinger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:12 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:54 pm Does anyone know a barang, running a company in PP, by the book, who makes really "nice" profit ???
This fkin forum, man. I ask how to get a visa legally, and everyone’s mocking me for not wanting to get a dodgy one under the table as my first resort. Sometimes I get the feeling some of you actually *like* the corruption, like it makes you feel edgy.

Yeah I get it, sometimes there’s a “cost of doing business”, tea money, whatever, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t at least make *some* effort to at least find out what the correct process is before running off to some random telegram number to pay some Del Boy $300 and hand him my passport.
I did everything by the book, the legal way you could actually say, that is if you think like this and that is what we do coming from the west. But consider yourself in Cambodia. I have friends and know of others whom have saved themselves from the worry and running from here and there for no apparent reason. Sometimes you may find it easier to grease the right palms. If you cannot find your way to start this, it will be impossible to successfully run the business, because mostly everything is against you in doing so.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:32 pm

I did everything by the book, the legal way you could actually say, that is if you think like this and that is what we do coming from the west. But consider yourself in Cambodia. I have friends and know of others whom have saved themselves from the worry and running from here and there for no apparent reason. Sometimes you may find it easier to grease the right palms. If you cannot find your way to start this, it will be impossible to successfully run the business, because mostly everything is against you in doing so.
I feel like you didn’t read what you just replied to at all.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Maybe, just maybe, before you start flaming posters here, you contact the Cambodian consul in the UK to ask support for your plans and report back here with first hand information for others to use.
nerdlinger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:12 pm Yeah I get it, sometimes there’s a “cost of doing business”, tea money, whatever, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t at least make *some* effort to at least find out what the correct process is before running off to some random telegram number to pay some Del Boy $300 and hand him my passport.
Once you've lived here for an extensive period of time, maybe you will understand how the world turns here. Generic statements like the one above are pretty low value to be honest.

When I first came to Cambodia I was fully convinced I would never engage in the corruption circuit. Guess what.... I failed... Guilty as charged.
Sometimes there's no or very little logic in the way the world is run here. You can do it your way, and get nothing done, or do it th€ir way and actually be able to do some $tep$.

Good luck finding your way around th€ Cambodian l€gal $y$t€m.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Same response as above to you. At no point in this thread have I said I’m Mother Theresa. It feels like y’all are responding to what you’re imagining I’ve said rather than what I actually have said.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

nerdlinger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:15 pm Same response as above to you. At no point in this thread have I said I’m Mother Theresa. It feels like y’all are responding to what you’re imagining I’ve said rather than what I actually have said.
I had read your post, you understand how things work here, what are you looking for in your frustration. What do you want to know specific details of, because I am seeing mixed up responses in your post's. Or is it you want someone to do the legwork for you?
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:29 pm
nerdlinger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:15 pm Same response as above to you. At no point in this thread have I said I’m Mother Theresa. It feels like y’all are responding to what you’re imagining I’ve said rather than what I actually have said.
I had read your post, you understand how things work here, what are you looking for in your frustration. What do you want to know specific details of, because I am seeing mixed up responses in your post's. Or is it you want someone to do the legwork for you?
As it goes there have been a few pieces of useful advice in here that I will be following up on. My thanks to those concerned. I was just expressing annoyance at those posters who weren’t here to help but to heckle and condescend.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

nerdlinger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:38 pm
As it goes there have been a few pieces of useful advice in here that I will be following up on. My thanks to those concerned. I was just expressing annoyance at those posters who weren’t here to help but to heckle and condescend.
You think you're having problems, do you want to get into my shoe's.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

nerdlinger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:38 pm
Just reciprocate one story....
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Aww come on guys, The snowflake OP has daydreams of opening a business in Cambodia and would like the entire process laid out on a plate for him.

He may not live in KOW but he's no fool, as he has been around this forum "long enough" to know whats what & whats not.

Please only give advice to his liking all other advice will be ignored.

enough already. %)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic