Visa to start a new business catch-22

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Visa to start a new business catch-22

Post by Kammekor »

nerdlinger wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:11 pm :(
Ozinasia wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:02 pm understood I guess if it within your budget sure, I just don't see the need to throw away $2k or more if a firm has an established office and are capable for $2k less I'll go that way every time.
There’s the other catch-22 for me of course - if I were already in the country I could verify firsthand that their office had the bearings of an established and professional setup, but in my situation I only have the word of an internet stranger that such-and-such person is on the level. :/

It’s looking like I might have to T-visa it for a month first to do the paperwork and then do a visa run afterwards, which I really don’t want to do because of the looming threat of quarantine. :|
I am not sure you can start a business when you're on a tourist visa. I would check before going down that road.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:56 am I am not sure you can start a business when you're on a tourist visa. I would check before going down that road.
Surely I can be doing the paperwork and stuff as long as I’m not actively trading? If not then it really is a catch-22 for foreign investment if you need a business to get a business visa but can’t start a business without one.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:57 am
nerdlinger wrote:It’s rather disconcerting how few of the recommendations I’m seeing not only in this thread but several other similar ones, are for people who display any evidence of being proper lawyers registered with the Bar Association.
If you already know what you want, why bother asking others?
What a strange response. I can ask for recommendations for companies that are registered with some kind of professional body, can’t I?

I notice that was your first and only post in this thread too, so I’d question your own motives with your only “contribution” to it. Do you have a crush on me or something?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:20 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:56 am I am not sure you can start a business when you're on a tourist visa. I would check before going down that road.
Surely I can be doing the paperwork and stuff as long as I’m not actively trading? If not then it really is a catch-22 for foreign investment if you need a business to get a business visa but can’t start a business without one.
Look here:

https://www.b2b-cambodia.com/industry-o ... 7a662-ea3b

A tourist visa won't do according to what they write.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

I’m looking at the required documents for E type visa on the eVisa govt website and it says one of the things could be “investment project” with no further explanation.

Any ideas on what would be sufficient for this? Is it enough to submit a broad business plan and a bank statement showing I’ve got the financing for it? Or do I still need a local office and partners etc?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@nerdlinger, you need to check with the Cambodian Embassy/Consulate that you will be applying for your E-type Visa from, as the criteria varies from Embassy to Embassy...don't assume what is stated on the e-Visa website correlates to what your nearest Cambodian Embassy/Consulate requires.

Applying as an investor generally still requires an invitation letter from registered Cambodian company, along with copies of their Business license and tax Patent.

Would have been a great move if they had opened up the E-type Visa application to all Nationalities on the e-Visa website, unfortunately only available to Taiwanese passport holders.

Fingers crossed they reinstate the issuing of Visas on Arrival in the very near future.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Every page on the Cambodia Embassy in London’s website just says “new website coming soon” 😓
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:37 pm Every page on the Cambodia Embassy in London’s website just says “new website coming soon” 😓
I will PM you the Consular Secretaries WhatsApp number, you can contact her directly
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

nerdlinger wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:57 am
nerdlinger wrote:It’s rather disconcerting how few of the recommendations I’m seeing not only in this thread but several other similar ones, are for people who display any evidence of being proper lawyers registered with the Bar Association.
If you already know what you want, why bother asking others?
What a strange response. I can ask for recommendations for companies that are registered with some kind of professional body, can’t I?

I notice that was your first and only post in this thread too, so I’d question your own motives with your only “contribution” to it. Do you have a crush on me or something?
No crush. I simply read through the thread and noticed that people gave you valid suggestions, yet you then implied (that's how I read it, anyways) that they don't satisfy you because none of them were part of the bar association. Isn't that odder? If that was a prerequisite from the start, why not just say so up front, or simply Google the readily available list of bar association law firms/members and enquire directly with them?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Does anyone know a barang, running a company in PP, by the book, who makes really "nice" profit ???
And with nice i would say +1500 US/month ??
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic