Cuban Missile Crisis- Part 2, Ukraine

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cuban Missile Crisis- Part 2, Ukraine

Post by Chuck Borris »

I remember when my grandpa was telling me how close to the WWIII we might were in October 1962. Now 60 years later it looks like we didnt learn nothing. Now the roles are opposite, now the "Masters of the universe" want to install nuclear missiles at the doorstep of Russia.
Like Putin or not, he just doing what every American president would do, nobody wants nuclear missiles on their doorstep. Are we close to the war in the Ukraine? Should Europe stay out of this geopolitical game? Is Macron"s idea of united European army utopia? Should Europe stand for itself and not taking sides? Will the "Masters of the universe" ever stop to meddling in others countries business? Who is the biggest threat to the planet now? China? Russia? America? Muslim extremists?
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cuban Missile Crisis- Part 2, Ukraine

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

I had posted this somewhere else, thought I would post it here as well.

Here is something to think about. Russia had a war with Georgia in 2008 that happened while the world was distracted by the Olympics in China.... I'm sure glad there's no Olympics in China soon,while Russia is massing on the Ukraine border.
What, Me worry?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Russia threatens military deployment to Cuba and Venezuela as diplomacy stalls
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... a-dead-end
Silence, exile, and cunning.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Russia may find this all a tad expensive with a GDP about the same size as Italy
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Kinda like Ream but in reverse.

"No. I will choose who your allies are."

bloody superpowers.. they're all the same
:facepalm:
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Russia wil take Ukraine (war or rigged elections) and apart from useless sanctions nothing will happen. Strategically too important as a buffer to the west.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

The US sent 90 tons of military aid to the Ukraine.
https://www.npr.org/2022/01/22/10750645 ... -us-russia
The shipment is part of the additional $200 million of "lethal aid" approved by President Biden in late December and includes ammunition for Ukraine's front-line defenders, the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv tweeted. Overall, the U.S. has provided $650 million in defense equipment and services to Ukraine in the past year — the most it has ever given that country, according to the State Department.
Really hoping this is just saber rattling on both sides. I also hope the US doesn't get into some stupid conflict peripheral to our core interests.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

It's extremely unlikely that a catastrophic, apocalyptic nuclear war will never happen. It will. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but it's practically inevitable and has been ever since nuclear weapons were first conceived. This conflict may pass without any nuclear incidents, and the next one might as well, but the next one after that might not.

I hate to go all John Lennon Imagine on everyone, but if leaders were chosen (either elected or selected) based on their willingness to keep the peace and foster good international relations, rather than their willingness to protect national interests down the barrel of a gun, and if everyone, in every nation, agreed that there were certain standards, such as protecting the integrity of the human race, that are compulsory if you want to be a leader, it would change the way everything works.

We seem to have domestic, civilian laws regarding the murder of other people and the taking of their land, which everyone agrees upon, and we shame people into behaving responsibly and being good citizens by giving law breakers names like 'criminals' but when it comes to world leaders, it seems we allow them to act with impunity while hiding behind their armies, playing the big boy with their big boys toys, when everyone knows how easy it would be give the likes of Putin et al a good pasting if ever we found ourselves alone in a room with him. He's a coward, hiding behind a military, no different to a school bully who surrounds himself with a gang and plays the tough guy, but would cower in a corner crying out for his mummy without them there to back him up.

Nothing in this world 'just happens'. Everything is the result of conscious decisions made by those whose job it is to set an example and protect not just their own people, but humanity as a whole.

For as long as we continue with the status quo of allowing people to lead who are hell-bent on conflict and tension (this includes Western countries as well as Eastern ones) nuclear annihilation of the human race is a 100% certainty.

It's just a matter of when, not if.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

xandreu wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:01 pm ....everyone knows how easy it would be give the likes of Putin et al a good pasting if ever we found ourselves alone in a room with him.
I doubt it, that guy is tough as nails.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic