Cuban Missile Crisis- Part 2, Ukraine

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cuban Missile Crisis- Part 2, Ukraine

Post by Big Daikon »

Double dare ya!
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

xandreu wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:01 pm I hate to go all John Lennon Imagine on everyone,
This reminds me of when I watched The Killing Fields with my buddy (1st time for him). At the end when they played "Imagine" and he looks over at me with the wierdest look. Said what the F, they played the most communist manifesto song at the end of a movie showing the horrors or communism. It was a strange moment for me to say the least.

:please:

I still like that ending scene :)
What, Me worry?
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:44 pm This reminds me of when I watched The Killing Fields with my buddy (1st time for him). At the end when they played "Imagine" and he looks over at me with the wierdest look. Said what the F, they played the most communist manifesto song at the end of a movie showing the horrors or communism. It was a strange moment for me to say the least.

YES! I love that movie, but that song choice is so wrong! No one around me sees it, either.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’m not sure it is or was wrong.

The ideas and concepts are fine; it’s the failing of humans to make it happen, or corrupt it from the outset that make it futile.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Big Daikon wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:52 pm
Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:44 pm This reminds me of when I watched The Killing Fields with my buddy (1st time for him). At the end when they played "Imagine" and he looks over at me with the wierdest look. Said what the F, they played the most communist manifesto song at the end of a movie showing the horrors or communism. It was a strange moment for me to say the least.

YES! I love that movie, but that song choice is so wrong! No one around me sees it, either.
I noticed - and also the slight hypocrisy of John Lennon writing it. So did Elton John who was friend of Lennon's. He rewrote the song for his friend:
Elton John wrote: Imagine six apartments, it isn't hard to do, one is full of fur coats, another's full of shoes.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/elton-j ... n-imagine/
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:08 pm I’m not sure it is or was wrong.

The ideas and concepts are fine; it’s the failing of humans to make it happen, or corrupt it from the outset that make it futile.
The song "Imagine"? I think the whole concept is awful and unrealistic. Completely negates everything that builds a society.
(Jonathan Haidt uses that song as a divider between left-wing and right-wing views.)

Bit OT, apologies.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

The irony of John Lennon singing of a world without poverty, greed or hunger on his multi-million dollar estate wasn't the most well thought out idea. The price of the piano he played in the video alone would probably have fed a thousand starving kids for a year.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:45 pm The irony of John Lennon singing of a world without poverty, greed or hunger on his multi-million dollar estate wasn't the most well thought out idea. The price of the piano he played in the video alone would probably have fed a thousand starving kids for a year.
He wasn’t born to it, though. He did something, made something that a great many others valued and wanted, and were willing to pay for.
There’s irony, but there are far greater insults…
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:02 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:45 pm The irony of John Lennon singing of a world without poverty, greed or hunger on his multi-million dollar estate wasn't the most well thought out idea. The price of the piano he played in the video alone would probably have fed a thousand starving kids for a year.
He wasn’t born to it, though. He did something, made something that a great many others valued and wanted, and were willing to pay for.
There’s irony, but there are far greater insults…
Agree. Lennon's contributions to popular culture far exceed whatever flaws or oversight the man had.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

How real is Russia’s threat to deploy missiles to Latin America?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/1/1 ... in-america
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic