Getting 'Invitation' for long-term visa?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Getting 'Invitation' for long-term visa?

Post by Kammekor »

nerdlinger wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:35 am
Giles wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:16 pm
Just because something is not currently available doesn't mean "it doesn't exist" or "there's no such thing". The 'O' visa has been available in the relatively recent past, was a key part of the visa system for a long time, and - I'm pretty sure, but to be honest, haven't actually checked (fair disclosure there - I used to be a lawyer) - is still on the books as part of the visa regime there. It is currently suspended, but could easily be reinstated at any moment. Therefore, it does "exist", it just isn't "available"
One thing I have noticed across all the Cambodia expat forums and Facebook groups is people everywhere love jumping on anyone who says “visa” instead of “visa extension”, or “business visa” instead of “E visa” or any of a dozen other minor bits of terminology.
e-visa versus E-visa? :stir:
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I started the same thread over there, and just replied to a comment on there (to the effect that the Kiwi was the most respected authority on the entire Internet about Cambodia visa issues) that this was very sad, because he/she (in comments on these two threads) hasn't shown any knowledge at all, or even an ability to deal incisively and usefully with the terminology and concepts involved.

Guess what - the whole thread was deleted seconds later! And I was permanently barred from the site.
Geez I wonder why
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Sir Giles Goosecap,
first pub, 1606.

Superficially, the play is a farce about "gulled knights and waggish servants," though it has also been perceived to possess deeper levels of meaning;
Critics have judged it a "rarefied, pedantic neo-platonic allegory" as well as "a modern dress version of the Troilus story, based primarily on Chaucer's account and on Estienne Tabourot's Les apothegmes du sieur Gaulard."

https://www.forgottenbooks.com/en/books ... p_10657980
from Forgotten Books
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:45 am
Giles wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:01 am Ok, I implied - with reasons - that Kiwi seemed to me to be more of a troll than an 'authoritative source'. No swearing, no abuse; fair comment.
But, if that can get you kicked off a forum.... kind of ups the evidence for the 'troll' verdict, I think.
I don't know where you usually hang out, but it is generally considered rude to come asking for advice, and then to slag off the person trying to help you by calling them a troll. :facepalm:
Indeed, and furthermore the premise under which the OP is seeking advice on:
Does anyone have experience of one the visa agencies - or anyone else - providing fake documentation to support entry on a 'working visa' at the moment? Any recommended help on this?
Is blatantly not 'above board' with the local authorities. Should members comply with that on here? I think.. :no:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

nerdlinger wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:35 am
Giles wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:16 pm
Just because something is not currently available doesn't mean "it doesn't exist" or "there's no such thing". The 'O' visa has been available in the relatively recent past, was a key part of the visa system for a long time, and - I'm pretty sure, but to be honest, haven't actually checked (fair disclosure there - I used to be a lawyer) - is still on the books as part of the visa regime there. It is currently suspended, but could easily be reinstated at any moment. Therefore, it does "exist", it just isn't "available"
One thing I have noticed across all the Cambodia expat forums and Facebook groups is people everywhere love jumping on anyone who says “visa” instead of “visa extension”, or “business visa” instead of “E visa” or any of a dozen other minor bits of terminology. Seems to just come with the territory.
Hey, when you set up your company maybe you could give Giles his invitation letter?
Trav
Tourist
Australia

Post by Trav »

Hi all,
Can anyone just set out the steps to extend the current E visa being issued? So much banter here makes it impossible to get the correct info as everyone has a different view or want to just debate making this all just one big confusing mess. From all I read PSD-Kiwi has some great knowledge and hoping he can maybe offer some current correct info to just extend the Visa. I have left the workforce in Oz and am wanting to live in Cambodia as a freelance web developer, am already here on the E Visa they are currently issuing for 30 days. My plan is long term here but that all depends on my visa options. I have read that there are tour agencies that can apparently do the procedure, but once again so much varying info makes this all confusing.

So, currently in Cambodia on the E Visa for 30 days. Want to extend for as long as possible as I consider this is my retirement home if I can achieve this.
Would love to just have PSD-Kiwi weigh in on this as everyone else is just wanting to debate and add their own opinion to cloud the current facts. We are in a new world with all that is going on, so things are changing regularly. It would be good to just have the info to take the correct steps forward. Thanks all :?:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@Trav , I assume you are referring to the e-Visa (electronic online Tourist Visa) which you got online at evisa.gov.kh correct?

If so, officially you can only apply for 1x 30 day Extension of Stay.

Some, very few, Visa Agents who have a good relationship with their contacts in the Department of Immigration, have been able to facilitate conversions from T-type (Tourist) Visas and e-Visas (electronic online Tourist Visa) to long term EB (Business) or ER (Retirement) Extensions of Stay...this is not an official practice, but an under the table arrangement between some Visa agents and their contacts in the DoI, and it is charged accordingly ie. The average cost of a 12 month EOS via a Visa is agent is $280...but for a conversion, you can expect to pay an additional $300 on top of that.

There are currently many agencies claiming they can facilitate the conversion, but can't, yet they are still taking peoples passports and money and allowing the applicants to go into overstay while they wait to find a way of facilitating the conversion. Be careful.

I have sent you a PM
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic