Getting 'Invitation' for long-term visa?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Getting 'Invitation' for long-term visa?

Post by BklynBoy »

Giles wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:16 pm PSD Kiwi - if there's one thing I really hate, it's a pedant who's always wrong.

Just because something is not currently available doesn't mean "it doesn't exist" or "there's no such thing". The 'O' visa has been available in the relatively recent past, was a key part of the visa system for a long time, and - I'm pretty sure, but to be honest, haven't actually checked (fair disclosure there - I used to be a lawyer) - is still on the books as part of the visa regime there. It is currently suspended, but could easily be reinstated at any moment. Therefore, it does "exist", it just isn't "available".

But I hear it might be today or tomorrow.

And also, things can 'exist' as an idea even if they have no current practical expression in the real world.

Stop being such a curmudgeonly nit-picker. If a visa expert or qualified lawyer tells me that 'legally' something doesn't exist, I respect that. If an Internet troll with too much time on his hands tells me that, I think, "Oh, just grow up!"
Dude you been on the site for 5 minutes and you got it all figured out? @PSD-Kiwi always has relevant info. He has helped me many times. I get what your saying about "doesn't exist" but do you want real world information or hypotheticals? Do you need information that will help you right now or want information that is not helping you at the moment but may help you at some future point
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Giles wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:16 pm PSD Kiwi - if there's one thing I really hate, it's a pedant who's always wrong.

Just because something is not currently available doesn't mean "it doesn't exist" or "there's no such thing". The 'O' visa has been available in the relatively recent past, was a key part of the visa system for a long time, and - I'm pretty sure, but to be honest, haven't actually checked (fair disclosure there - I used to be a lawyer) - is still on the books as part of the visa regime there. It is currently suspended, but could easily be reinstated at any moment. Therefore, it does "exist", it just isn't "available".

But I hear it might be today or tomorrow.

And also, things can 'exist' as an idea even if they have no current practical expression in the real world.

Stop being such a curmudgeonly nit-picker. If a visa expert or qualified lawyer tells me that 'legally' something doesn't exist, I respect that. If an Internet troll with too much time on his hands tells me that, I think, "Oh, just grow up!"
There has never been any "O" visa. You have no idea what you are talking about. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Giles wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:16 pm
Just because something is not currently available doesn't mean "it doesn't exist" or "there's no such thing". The 'O' visa has been available in the relatively recent past, was a key part of the visa system for a long time, and - I'm pretty sure, but to be honest, haven't actually checked (fair disclosure there - I used to be a lawyer) - is still on the books as part of the visa regime there. It is currently suspended, but could easily be reinstated at any moment. Therefore, it does "exist", it just isn't "available"
One thing I have noticed across all the Cambodia expat forums and Facebook groups is people everywhere love jumping on anyone who says “visa” instead of “visa extension”, or “business visa” instead of “E visa” or any of a dozen other minor bits of terminology. Seems to just come with the territory.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It helps to use the right terminology when discussing bureaucratic matters.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Giles wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:01 am Ok, I implied - with reasons - that Kiwi seemed to me to be more of a troll than an 'authoritative source'. No swearing, no abuse; fair comment.
But, if that can get you kicked off a forum.... kind of ups the evidence for the 'troll' verdict, I think.
I don't know where you usually hang out, but it is generally considered rude to come asking for advice, and then to slag off the person trying to help you by calling them a troll. :facepalm:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Giles wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:01 am Ha! It looks like PSD Kiwi may be an admin over on Khmer440. I hadn't realised.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Hahahaha...WTF? No @Giles , I am not, and have never been, and don't even know the admins over in K440. If you think that i don't know what I'm talking about, then don't bother reading my posts. The info I posted in that thread, and this, is accurate, but hey, what do I know? Oh, and calling me a troll...pot calling the kettle black much?

As I and others have pointed out, there is not, and never has been any such thing as an "O" Visa in Cambodia...it is an E-type (Ordinary) Visa, and the issuing of this Visa was never suspended, it has been available throughout the pandemic, but only in advance from an Embassy/Consulate, not on Arrival... but please, go ahead, go to an Embasy and ask them for an "O" Visa.

People often use the incorrect terminology when discussing the Cambodian Visa system, which can cause confusion, yes I might be pedantic at times, but I am just trying to help people correctly navigate the system to avoid issues/disappointment.
Fewa Tel
Tourist
Nepal

Post by Fewa Tel »

YEAH ; Psd Kiwi, I appreciate your regular info and updates regarding Visa's
Giles is no "used to be a lawyer", as if he was a pro would have used the correct word, former.
He should return to being a butler on 'The Nanny', and learn some manners.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Giles wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:01 am Ha! It looks like PSD Kiwi may be an admin over on Khmer440. I hadn't realised.

I started the same thread over there, and just replied to a comment on there (to the effect that the Kiwi was the most respected authority on the entire Internet about Cambodia visa issues) that this was very sad, because he/she (in comments on these two threads) hasn't shown any knowledge at all, or even an ability to deal incisively and usefully with the terminology and concepts involved.

Guess what - the whole thread was deleted seconds later! And I was permanently barred from the site.

Might not have been Kiwi who did it, but.... there was nothing in that comment of mine, or in the original post, or in the rest of the thread, that would remotely justify that kind of action.

Ok, I implied - with reasons - that Kiwi seemed to me to be more of a troll than an 'authoritative source'. No swearing, no abuse; fair comment.

But, if that can get you kicked off a forum.... kind of ups the evidence for the 'troll' verdict, I think.
wouldn't worry about it<
been permanently banned over there 2x an many times since alexandra took over had bans placed on me for posting my thoughts>

Theres less than half a dozen posters ( an god forbid u attack one of them) there and it is barely surviving
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Maybe you're mixing up with the Thai system?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic