Does Cootel internet box work in Kampot/Kep?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Does Cootel internet box work in Kampot/Kep?

Post by SlowJoe »

Hi everyone,

Anyone use a Cootel box in Kampot or Kep before?

I have a Cootel internet box and I see there is no branch in Kampot, but if the internet still works I want to use it.

Cheers,
Joe
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Does Cootel internet box work in Kampot/Kep?

Post by Kammekor »

SlowJoe wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:23 am Hi everyone,

Anyone use a Cootel box in Kampot or Kep before?

I have a Cootel internet box and I see there is no branch in Kampot, but if the internet still works I want to use it.

Cheers,
Joe
You should check the 4G coverage for ur box at the exact place you want to use it in those provinces. Someone might confirm it's working while 1 km further away it doesn't.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i don't know what a cootel box is but i have a MX9 pro android box and have metfone fiber to my house in Kep ( 18 gibs) and am able us it for everything, ( Kodi, Oath you tube etc)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

@phuketrichard, How much was your Metfone fibre to setup? Also, how reliable has it been?

Cootel is a satelite? internet provider and the box picks up signal from wherever you plug it in (that's the idea anyway). I'm a not an expert at internet stuff though, all I know is in Phnom Penh I get Wifi wherever I bring the box and plug in, and that's kind of what I want down in Kampot/Kep.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

SlowJoe wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:02 pm @phuketrichard, How much was your Metfone fibre to setup? Also, how reliable has it been?

Cootel is a satelite? internet provider and the box picks up signal from wherever you plug it in (that's the idea anyway). I'm a not an expert at internet stuff though, all I know is in Phnom Penh I get Wifi wherever I bring the box and plug in, and that's kind of what I want down in Kampot/Kep.
Cootel uses 4G from the mobile network. Which companies they use is undisclosed. If there's no 4G signal the box will not connect at reasonable speed. Instead of Cootel you might as well use your mobile phone as a hotspot. Advantage of the Cootel box is it radiates a much stronger wifi signal, making the signal available in a larger area.
@phuketrichard uses a totally different system which wired 'him' to a local Metfone hub.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

SlowJoe wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:02 pm @phuketrichard, How much was your Metfone fibre to setup? Also, how reliable has it been?

the fiber is $18/month and 1 month free on a 6 month paid in advance contract.
NO OTHER FEES
https://www.metfone.com.kh/en/internet/ftth
its as fast as my 200 mbs i had in phuket ( nobody really uses fiber at home as everyone uses their phones )

very reliable ( as long as the electric is on.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Cheers guys,

Isn't there a $12 a month plan on Metfone? Just off the top of my head seeing posters around town.

Either or, I'll probably have to go that fibre route as I'm in Chum Kriel for the next year or more. I'm using my phone as a hotspot right now and it's costing me a lot (I use it for work). I think I burned through $10 of cards in the last week.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

SlowJoe wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:39 pm Cheers guys,

Isn't there a $12 a month plan on Metfone? Just off the top of my head seeing posters around town.

Either or, I'll probably have to go that fibre route as I'm in Chum Kriel for the next year or more. I'm using my phone as a hotspot right now and it's costing me a lot (I use it for work). I think I burned through $10 of cards in the last week.
Use one of the exchange plans where you exchange money cards for (loads of) data with limited validity. Limited can be stretched depending on the provider's plan. I put 50$ on my Metfone sim and exchanged it for 25,000$ worth of data with a 6 months validity. Won't be able to use it all....
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:50 pm

Use one of the exchange plans where you exchange money cards for (loads of) data with limited validity. Limited can be stretched depending on the provider's plan. I put 50$ on my Metfone sim and exchanged it for 25,000$ worth of data with a 6 months validity. Won't be able to use it all....
Now I feel like an idiot, I didn't even know the exchange went that high. I've been doing like all my neighbours and just buy $1 cards.

I see on Metfone they do an $8 deal for the same amount of data as the $50, so I'm just going to do that. You get almost 4 times more data than the $1 a week card.

Cheers for that!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

SlowJoe wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:31 am
Kammekor wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:50 pm

Now I feel like an idiot, I didn't even know the exchange went that high. I've been doing like all my neighbours and just buy $1 cards.

I see on Metfone they do an $8 deal for the same amount of data as the $50, so I'm just going to do that. You get almost 4 times more data than the $1 a week card.

Cheers for that!
Just reap the benefits...

If you top up online instead of using cards you can get even more freebies. The Metfone deals change all the time, so keep an eye on what they have on offer and choose what suits you best. I got my plan about 5 months ago so I haven't checked lately.
Smart have similar plans but coverage is nor nearly as good as Metfone outside the main cities. Not every sim is eligible for these plans though, tourist sims are generally exempted and sims with the best plans are sold at slightly higher prices.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic