Foreigner Family Book

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kerberus
Expatriate

Foreigner Family Book

Post by kerberus »

I am married to my cambodian wife but until now we didn't registered my presence somewhere else than in FPCS.

Do we need to register somewhere?

I read about the carnet de residence / Family book... how is it handled in Siem Reap?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Foreigner Family Book

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Are you legally married in Cambodia? If so your wife can apply for a Carnet de Residence at the Sangkat which she is registered with, and have your name added to it as her husband.

Most Sangkats will not include a foreign husbands/wifes name in a Family book due to the vague wording in the Law on Marriage and Family.

If not legally married in Cambodia/in possession of an official Cambodian marriage Certificate, then the Sangkat still considers your wife as single and she will not be entitled to apply for her own Carnet de Residence or Family Book.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Adding my query here as it’s loosely related.

The other half has her own family book, with all 3 kids named. There has just been a debate with the Sangkat regarding my own name, and its inclusion in the family book. (For the record, I’ve no idea why the matter has come up today, when the purpose of her visit to the Sangkat was for another matter all together. But hey…)

They (Sangkat) appear to be amenable to attaching my name. I’m 50/50 whether I care or not- Ambivalent bordering on Apathetic. But the main query from the Sangkat relates to my name. Apparently, and this comes as a huge shock to me, it’s written in English. There’s no Khmer equivalent. Why not? On birth certificates and leases, police records, and anything else that I can find, my name has only ever been written in English. The Sangkat have now referred the matter to a higher office to find out if this is correct.

So, this begs the the following questions
-Does my name need to be transposed/translated into Khmer?
-Would this be done phonetically, or by some accepted local equivalent? Christian names is one thing, but family names could be another matter entirely. (Actually, even christian names can be a source of amusement- the little fella’s name was translated into Khmer, then translated back into English, before being mistakenly transposed into an equivalent Chinesey form written in Latin script, thus rendering his first Khmer passport utterly useless.)
-would this serve as an official document or representation of my name in a locally recognised script for other uses?
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Krom »

My gut says stick with English only. Banks and driver licenses do this. Be extra careful about Family name not becoming your first name and vice versa.

My kids passpirts are all in English only.

Biggest point Kiwi is "Why bother?" Odds are it will mean your wife will perpetually be extorted for more cash for any family book presenting occasion because you are barang. I sincerely wish I had used my wife's family name for my kids. They are forever branded with the Barang Scarlet letter now and as such have to pay more for everything paperwork related. If I only knew then what I know now....alas....
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:56 am
-Would this be done phonetically, or by some accepted local equivalent?
It's done phonetically and the result is often poor.

My kid has my family name and even though the translation was done by the official guidelines, by the people from MoFA, it's still a poor result resembling the original for maybe 75%.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:56 am
So, this begs the the following questions
Yes
-Would this be done phonetically, or by some accepted local equivalent? Christian names is one thing, but family names could be another matter entirely. (Actually, even christian names can be a source of amusement- the little fella’s name was translated into Khmer, then translated back into English, before being mistakenly transposed into an equivalent Chinesey form written in Latin script, thus rendering his first Khmer passport utterly useless.)
Fuck knows how they translate, based on sounds isn't it. My name and my kids names are all translated into Khmer on all documents, and when read by a Khmer speaker it is spoken as my English name (if that makes sense)
-would this serve as an official document or representation of my name in a locally recognised script for other uses?
Yes
If the Sangkat are willing to add your name to the Family Book, then why not, better than not having it on there. Does your wife have a Carnet de Residence also?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic