Telegram

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Telegram

Post by mannanman »

AE86 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:34 pm
mannanman wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:23 am I bought my IPhone X in 2017. New battery in 2021.
My friend, who will remain nameless (Dave), has bought countless cheap $100 phones since then.
My reasoning is thus - if you have something expensive you’ll look after it.
Similar to reading glasses. Had friends say they only buy $1 reading glasses (which is really bad for your eyes) because they’re always sitting on them, losing them etc. if they bought proper prescription reading glasses they’d not only keep their eyesight from degrading but they’d realise they need care and never lose them.
Never lost my prescription glasses. Ever.
Never lost an iPhone. Ever.
I might have a different reasoning, but to me, if you care about something, you'll buy the nicer version of it.

Me? I couldn't care less about phones, so I have the cheapest "not crap" phone (a $300 Samsung...something).

On the other hand, I'll drop $6k on a motorcycle but many people opt for a $200 clunker.

Obviously their bikes fall apart much faster and look worse than mine, but that's just because I like nicer bikes and others don't.

FWIW however, I've never lost a phone or dropped it in water or something, even my $20 Nokia brick.
I agree. Nicer version cost more.
I buy cheap clothes but they never last!

It annoys me slightly when I see these dangerous motos and big bikes on the road. Utter death traps. Went to see a ZX10 recently - warped discs, seized front caliper, worn chain, front wheel bearing shot. It looked amazing but was a death trap. The local who had it had a $600 leather Frank Thomas all in one, which he got from the UK when he visited, and $500 boots and gloves.
He could have spent $200 and got a perfect bike but instead his priorities lay on looks alone.
He hasn’t a clue how to ride it though. Which is more dangerous than a defective bike.
People of the world, spice up your life.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

brought an asus zenfone 4 1/2" ( i use asus tablet an laptop) back in 2018, Hated it so stuck with my Nokia 7000 ( 3 1/2 " screen) cost i think around 4,500 baht ( $150)

only started using the asus in the last 6 months here, Seldom take it out of the house, seldom use it for anything, ( $2 credit on phone last months an months)

Refuse to use any apple products, cant see any reason to spend more than a few hundred on a phone, no matter what the lens quality is, its not a camera
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Resurrecting the Telegram thing, re hacking, or accessing someone’s account, and limitations.

Cambodia has this archaic system of managing cellphone SIM cards. Leave the country for 3 months, and the sim becomes dormant, and the number gets recycled. Even if you have your own contact details attached- I lost 2 Cellcard numbers this way, and more recently, my Metfone sim.

I now have a Smart e-sim which I sorted out online, in 5 minutes and it’s international, so hopefully I can avoid the issue.
Now, when I tried to change the number for my Telegram account, I couldn’t because the number was already registered with another user. As it turns out, a kid by the profile photo, And through a complete lack of security on his part, I was able to get access to this profile, and set up security in just a few minutes, mainly because the telephone number is actually mine, and registered to me.
The only thing that I could not do was terminate any connected devices that were logged in prior to my own. But I was able to display a big message for them to change their number, security, etc.
Clearly, if there is a working Wi-fi, but you don’t bother with updating a sim number, or maintain credit for 4G access, you can still maintain an account with a number that is no longer yours.

This whole process of gaining access to my cellphone number within telegram took about 45minutes in total. The slowest part of which was waiting for the previous owner to change their number, so that I could change my account to the new number.

But here’s the thing- once logged in, you can remain logged in if yours is an older login, even if the telegram account is not yours.

So this is a big flaw with Telegram. I’m awaiting a response from Telegram about my initial request for assistance.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Freightdog wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:05 am Cambodia has this archaic system of managing cellphone SIM cards. Leave the country for 3 months, and the sim becomes dormant, and the number gets recycled. Even if you have your own contact details attached- I lost 2 Cellcard numbers this way, and more recently, my Metfone sim.
Granted, it's a pain to keep the SIM card alive, but it's possible. I was away from Cambodia from 2019 to 2022 thanks to the pandemic and my Cellcard SIM card remained alive and well thanks to regular top-ups from abroad just before expiration. Using their app or Wing to top up, it wasn't really THAT big of an issue, just something else I had to put into my calendar.
twensolr91
Tourist
United States of America

Post by twensolr91 »

Freightdog wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:05 am Resurrecting the Telegram thing, re hacking, or accessing someone’s account, and limitations.
I'll point out that WhatsApp and Signal work the same way (maybe lots of other services too, Lyft perhaps?). The phone number is essentially your login + password. So if you were to lose the phone number due to expiration, or fall victim to a SIM-swapping attack, someone else would be able to take over your account. I think some or all of the above services have a Two-Factor Auth you can opt into. The 2FA code is then required to register with the same phone number on a new device. It's opt-in though, so most people don't use it
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I also lost my old smart-number, i always topped up by someone in KOW for 1 dollar, every 3 or 6 months (forget already), to find out last november, they changed the rules, it should have been 2 dollars. Now i have new simcard and new number (almost the same as i used years), and indeed, it works abroad also, i knever use it, but am very happy i can receive messages from smart saying me number willbe blocked. And i found out now also how to just top the number up in their website, now i top up every 4 months (1 month credit plus 3 months before blocking), it means it costs you 6 dollar every year to keep the same number. I had with telegram a simlilar issue, one of my drinking-buddys in PP had a very nice pictures from a girl in his profile, and when i saw him, i asked who it was, he had no clue, somebody used the same number, if he called me, the nice-girls face came on my phone, no idea how to arrange that !!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Keeping a Cambodian sim alive abroad is a breeze, at least financially, compared to keeping a European or US sim alive in Cambodia.
Just sayin'....
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:13 pm Keeping a Cambodian sim alive abroad is a breeze, at least financially, compared to keeping a European or US sim alive in Cambodia.
Just sayin'....
I wish that were the case, but it seems occasionally flawed. For both my Cellcard sims, even with my passport and visa details attached, and regular topups applied, both were recycled by Cellcard. Despite lots of effort, the only responses received, face to face with Cellcard were- No Ha’, or No can. So, wasted money. They were insistent that the number was dead because the sim had not been registered on a cellular network, and so it was disabled. It may be that they’ve improved their game, since.

With Metfone, they point blank refused to allocate the sim to me because I could not demonstrate 5 phone numbers regularly used by me, and the sim was registered in some else’s name, despite being sealed at the time that I received it.

It mattes, little now.

Regards Telegram. And probably the other similar services, also.
If your new number is one that was previously in use by someone else, and they attached that number to Telegram and subsequently let the number lapse, you will not be able to simply register or transfer to your new cellphone number with Telegram.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Can someone explain what's so good about telegram seems like every couple of years everyone wants to use a new contract device, I've been using messanger for years, then people wanted Whatsapp, then line and now this, how many apps does one need they all do the same thing, depending who I'm contacting, I now need to remember what bloody network thier using.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

atst wrote:Can someone explain what's so good about telegram seems like every couple of years everyone wants to use a new contract device, I've been using messanger for years, then people wanted Whatsapp, then line and now this, how many apps does one need they all do the same thing, depending who I'm contacting, I now need to remember what bloody network thier using.
* Groups (up to 200,000 people)
* Tabs (easy to sort personal from work/hobbies)
* can add people with their username (don't need to share your phone nr)
* possibility to run a bot (for sales, registration)
* Can share large files
* its not owned by Zuckerberg (your data is currently not being sold)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic