Telegram

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Telegram

Post by daeum_tnaot »

I thought Telegram was cool until I found out that it's not even encrypted end to end. Unless you enter something like a "private chat" that you have to deliberately setup. So even WhatsApp is better than Telegram
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

This isn't Telegram specific, but a similar thing happened to my nieces and nephews with random explicit images showing up on their phones.

At first I thought they were trying to sneek the stuff by "us parents", but after trying to dig through everything (with the kids) it seems like the best explanation we could come up with is that it came through some kind of "update" or accidentally clicked on ad that installed itself something of that nature.

I'm far from online/internet tech savy though.
-insert signature here
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I'm not at all familiar with Telegram, but a quick Google search or two for

'how to hack a telegram account'

and

'can telegram be hacked'

shows that it is doable.

Top result for 'can telegram be hacked':

"Now, Cyber-security researchers has issued a important warning for Telegram users that devices and PCs are being hacked by a Windows-based malware, which was being delivered by fake Telegram Messenger app installers.5 Jan 2022"

:hattip:
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Buy an iPhone.
People of the world, spice up your life.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

How anyone can stomach a price for a phone like that is beyond me...
-insert signature here
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Like what?
I’ll be honest they look crap (rear, Pro) with that stupid lens and the cameras are still behind Samsung etc with regard to quality, which are similarish prices by the by, but I like the operating system. Never had a virus or issue with an iPhone in 15 odd years, my Android and Windows/Linux stuff has. A lot. (Not sure if the Linux had a virus as such just had issues with it, I was just sick of the fanbois droning on about it. They’re worse than Apple fanbois!)

I constantly say it’s amusing the hate and bile that the Apple products cause. Maybe that’s the success of their marketing and “image”.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

mannanman wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:50 am Like what?
I’ll be honest they look crap (rear, Pro) with that stupid lens and the cameras are still behind Samsung etc with regard to quality, which are similarish prices by the by, but I like the operating system. Never had a virus or issue with an iPhone in 15 odd years, my Android and Windows/Linux stuff has. A lot. (Not sure if the Linux had a virus as such just had issues with it, I was just sick of the fanbois droning on about it. They’re worse than Apple fanbois!)

I constantly say it’s amusing the hate and bile that the Apple products cause. Maybe that’s the success of their marketing and “image”.
I never had a virus on my iPhone, or my Android, or my Windows laptop. It's all about common sense I guess.

And I refuse to cough up over a thousand for a mobile phone too. I like the new Apple privacy settings which block Facebook from tracing you though. It's sad that option will never show up in Android, but maybe a third party app will be able to offer that functionality.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:01 am
mannanman wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:50 am Like what?

I never had a virus on my iPhone, or my Android, or my Windows laptop. It's all about common sense I guess.

And I refuse to cough up over a thousand for a mobile phone too. I like the new Apple privacy settings which block Facebook from tracing you though. It's sad that option will never show up in Android, but maybe a third party app will be able to offer that functionality.
The trouble with APP is they track you or have your personal details (paid), non?

I bought my IPhone X in 2017. New battery in 2021.
My friend, who will remain nameless (Dave), has bought countless cheap $100 phones since then.
My reasoning is thus - if you have something expensive you’ll look after it.
Similar to reading glasses. Had friends say they only buy $1 reading glasses (which is really bad for your eyes) because they’re always sitting on them, losing them etc. if they bought proper prescription reading glasses they’d not only keep their eyesight from degrading but they’d realise they need care and never lose them.
Never lost my prescription glasses. Ever.
Never lost an iPhone. Ever.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:33 am I'm not at all familiar with Telegram, but a quick Google search or two for

'how to hack a telegram account'

and

'can telegram be hacked'

shows that it is doable.

Top result for 'can telegram be hacked':

"Now, Cyber-security researchers has issued a important warning for Telegram users that devices and PCs are being hacked by a Windows-based malware, which was being delivered by fake Telegram Messenger app installers.5 Jan 2022"

:hattip:
I found this site and applied the basic precautions.

AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

mannanman wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:23 am I bought my IPhone X in 2017. New battery in 2021.
My friend, who will remain nameless (Dave), has bought countless cheap $100 phones since then.
My reasoning is thus - if you have something expensive you’ll look after it.
Similar to reading glasses. Had friends say they only buy $1 reading glasses (which is really bad for your eyes) because they’re always sitting on them, losing them etc. if they bought proper prescription reading glasses they’d not only keep their eyesight from degrading but they’d realise they need care and never lose them.
Never lost my prescription glasses. Ever.
Never lost an iPhone. Ever.
I might have a different reasoning, but to me, if you care about something, you'll buy the nicer version of it.

Me? I couldn't care less about phones, so I have the cheapest "not crap" phone (a $300 Samsung...something).

On the other hand, I'll drop $6k on a motorcycle but many people opt for a $200 clunker.

Obviously their bikes fall apart much faster and look worse than mine, but that's just because I like nicer bikes and others don't.

FWIW however, I've never lost a phone or dropped it in water or something, even my $20 Nokia brick.
-insert signature here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic