I didn't know I was so poor

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: I didn't know I was so poor

Post by atst »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:17 am Can someone explain the OP is simple terms? I've read it twice and honestly don't understand what it's about.
You have to be maybe drunk when reading, basically it's a rant about so many crying poor asking for help or handouts when they are better off than the person they are asking.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

So we shouldn't help people because some of them might be using us? Nog getting the point of the thread.

If you help someone that's your choice, if you made s poor one that is your mistake.

We need to stay on track and do our best to repay this country for the hospitality and freedom that most of us never had before.

Not to mention keep repaying our debt to the universe for giving us life and opportunity. Just keep giving back is all we can do.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

yes I know many can only get $300 if lucky
Indeed, the going rate now for a waitress in a Riverside restaurant is $180-200 for anything from 8-10 hrs. Less if she doesn't speak English and/or no experience.

Mind you tho, the Riverside district has been hit especially hard by covid and lack of tourists.

Another one was on probation at a bank earning just $200 with an eventual expectation of $300.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:47 pm So we shouldn't help people because some of them might be using us? Nog getting the point of the thread.

If you help someone that's your choice, if you made s poor one that is your mistake.

We need to stay on track and do our best to repay this country for the hospitality and freedom that most of us never had before.

Not to mention keep repaying our debt to the universe for giving us life and opportunity. Just keep giving back is all we can do.
As a old lady once told me " open your heart and open your wallet" this I remember well and will continue to do, just a lot more cautious from now on.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:47 pm Not to mention keep repaying our debt to the universe for giving us life and opportunity. Just keep giving back is all we can do.
I'm not sure there's any circumstance in any country where I'd listen to meaningless trash like that, mate...

What OP said is real. You are often deceived as to income rates here, your own of which you are pushily demanded to expose. I'm all for giving to those in need, but just bowing down to liars and not speaking out against the status quo, no thanks.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Some people would rather help 10 people even if 1 of them didn’t deserve help, while others would rather see 9 people suffer than risk being exploited by the 10th.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

nerdlinger wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:14 am Some people would rather help 10 people even if 1 of them didn’t deserve help, while others would rather see 9 people suffer than risk being exploited by the 10th.
That's how it is. There will always be the stories about the beggars that park their Lamborghini on the next block, and entitled people refusing to share a dollar if they don't have a signed contract that it will only be used for things they approve of.

I think many fail to realize that helping others is something we do for ourselves, so to ask for a specific act in return or some holy experience is just being greedy.

Be grateful you're in a position where you can share and move on with your day feeling a bit better than before. That's all you need in return IMHO.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

siliconlife wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:13 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:47 pm Not to mention keep repaying our debt to the universe for giving us life and opportunity. Just keep giving back is all we can do.
I'm not sure there's any circumstance in any country where I'd listen to meaningless trash like that, mate...

What OP said is real. You are often deceived as to income rates here, your own of which you are pushily demanded to expose. I'm all for giving to those in need, but just bowing down to liars and not speaking out against the status quo, no thanks.
I've been without anything and now I'm in a position where I can happily share. Of course a lot thanks to hard work, but there was also a lot of luck and I can't but feel grateful and maybe even that it's a little unfair cause it's not like I'm a great person compared to many I met that had nothing.

I've always shared a lot, it's just how I pay my dues.

Feel free to consider it meaningless, it's not something I do for you anyway.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

ItWasntMe wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:41 am
siliconlife wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:13 pm

I've been without anything and now I'm in a position where I can happily share. Of course a lot thanks to hard work, but there was also a lot of luck and I can't but feel grateful and maybe even that it's a little unfair cause it's not like I'm a great person compared to many I met that had nothing.

I've always shared a lot, it's just how I pay my dues.

Feel free to consider it meaningless, it's not something I do for you anyway.
Yeah, no, I'm sorry, came home a little drunk and had a knee-jerk reaction to something I saw as sanctimonious but probably wasn't. I'm still struggling myself with the classic Mill-Kant divide (Should morality come from that which we know is right before it is done, from universal laws, or from that which will have the greatest practical results in given circumstances?), not to mention that between egoism and altruism (Is helping for the self, or for others?). I tend to lean toward the utilitarian, results-driven view as I have seen "help" go horribly wrong, and universal views on what is right sometimes seem too narrow to apply to the whole of the human condition. That said it seems to me that good will is needed as well, otherwise where will help come from at all? I'm not sure I will ever settle on an answer, or even that it is right to get too comfortable with an answer. Perhaps instead we should constantly be challenging our own ethical standards and pushing ourselves to find better ways of living. Whatever though, I apologize for my harsh words.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I didn't know I was so poor until now! My Khmer partner has been in need of help from a doctor of late, showing all the symptoms of end-stage liver disease, Tiredness, itchiness, swelling in the lower legs, jaundice, easily bruising, fluid build-up in the abdomen. The later was my main concern for her, her abdomen was swollen to the extent that she resembled being very heavily in pregnancy. Her eyes were yellow, her overall condition was she was so tired, this stage was a bit of a buildup, but even so, it came to the stage very fast.
It was actually about 3 1/2 years ago when she was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis, with two qualified overseas doctors at the time, informing me that the discussion between the two is, she wouldn't see the end of the year out. She has never wanted to know the conclusion of what's going to happen, she obviously has some idea of what is to come. And let's face facts if you're unable to get medical advice and care, medicines and support, your left with only hope.
We had been turned away the day before by our local referral hospital and the Khmer Soviet Friendship Hospital, with no doctor being at either who may give treatments. I was at this stage giving her reassurance that we will find someone hopefully to help with the situation and of her need for medical help.
Thing was, now I felt there was not time to just wait for the, we can look over the next few days, I was quite sure with her condition, the next two days may actually be pushing it a little close, or rather too late.
It happened to be the second private clinic we visited, and supposedly open, 24 hours according to their website, for now it was still closed, we sat at the front of the building with hope that someone would be there to open soon, this clinic is at the other side of the city from where we live, and I could see the expression of tiredness in her, and an unfortunate look of losing hope.
It was not too long that staff arrived, we were the first to see the doctor after filling in a few forms. The doctor could converse to me in English, that is certainly most welcome and important to our situation. The doctor told us what the plan of action would be, I was happy with the progress of what the doctor had in mind.
And the only thing I need to know is the overall total price of the whole tests and treatments of the day. The doctor looked at a few notes and said that today would cost me $100 to $200.
The treatment went well for her, the fluid drained after blood test and scan, 5lts drained from her abdomen. The doctor called me to go collect her medicines for a month prior to the next appointment, the bill now being a bit of a short sharp shock of $488, we could say not near the estimate to doctor gave me earlier in the day. I mentioned this again to the doctor, for our next appointment to please keep me updated with any changes with that of current estimates, if there is any added or raised costs. He did just that via messenger two days later, telling me the price was reasonable in his opinion, also he was not willing to see her has his patient on the next appointment, and I should now consider the alternative to take her to a government hospital.
All in all, I feel let down by the Cambodian health system, and more so the way doctors don't have a sense of care in some sense, only that of money is, or it seems the priority overall.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic