Chinese Couple in Bentley Flying Spur Crash on Riverside

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Chinese Couple in Bentley Flying Spur Crash on Riverside

Post by mannanman »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:35 pm
AndyKK wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:32 pm Passed this car showroom the other day on K5 St, Phnom Penh. WOW someone has money here. I wonder how sales are compared to a European Capital city, including the UK, price comparison and how many models sold in 2020?

The official Rolls Royce dealer sold almost 100 cars in their first year open.
There’s showroom after showroom in PP loaded with RR, Bentley, Raptors (F150 not the Thai made Ranger), Range Rovers, Lexi’s etc new or a couple of years old (I’d imagine there’s some flooded damaged ones there from Ida). I counted $6 million in one small lot. Amazing.
People of the world, spice up your life.
donner-kruger
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by donner-kruger »

mannanman wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:02 pm Then how is your point relevant in that case.
The point is that I think there are way more Chinese people here than any other nationality. I would also think most Americans that are here are teachers who don't have cars. I've been here just a month and I've already met two westerners who've been involved in major motorbike accidents that required extensive surgeries.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

donner-kruger wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:30 am
mannanman wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:02 pm Then how is your point relevant in that case.
The point is that I think there are way more Chinese people here than any other nationality. I would also think most Americans that are here are teachers who don't have cars. I've been here just a month and I've already met two westerners who've been involved in major motorbike accidents that required extensive surgeries.
That’s the exact point I was making - crashes per % of visitors to country ratio, and moto crashes are not the same as car crashes as they usually just involve the rider.
donner-kruger
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by donner-kruger »

mannanman wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:46 pm That’s the exact point I was making - crashes per % of visitors to country ratio, and moto crashes are not the same as car crashes as they usually just involve the rider.
Of course, motorbike crashes are not the same. But had Americans who live in this country owned a car to the same extent I think Chinese do, I bet you'd see a lot of crashes like this one perpetrated by Americans.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

In Queensland last year 4 times as many motor cyclists died than those in cars.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

willyhilly wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:18 pm In Queensland last year 4 times as many motor cyclists died than those in cars.
I think that’s generally the case in most countries (Western anyway) as motorcycling is far more popular than it was in the 90s early 00’. I’d like to bet those accidents are in the 35 to 50yo age group, usually men. (Lack of experience, lack of skill)
Big bikes (over 400cc) here won’t really make much traction because they are just too heavy for your average Asian. I know of two locals who bought big bikes (1000cc) and both sold them within two months. “Too fast. Too heavy. Too scared”.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

donner-kruger wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:05 pm
mannanman wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:46 pm That’s the exact point I was making - crashes per % of visitors to country ratio, and moto crashes are not the same as car crashes as they usually just involve the rider.
Of course, motorbike crashes are not the same. But had Americans who live in this country owned a car to the same extent I think Chinese do, I bet you'd see a lot of crashes like this one perpetrated by Americans.
Maybe.
I was told that in and around some US bases in the UK that Americans were banned from overtaking because they kept ending up in ditches - partly due to big engined large cars (they can import them cheap) and small roads!
Don’t know how true it is though.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Rolls-Royce: Covid has spurred record sales of our cars

Covid-19 spurred wealthy motorists to buy more Rolls-Royces than ever before because it made them realise life is short, the luxury carmaker said on Monday.
As global cases escalated in 2021, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, based in Goodwood, West Sussex, booked the highest annual sales in its 117-year history, selling 5,586 vehicles.
The company’s chief executive, Torsten Müller-Ötvös, said the pandemic had led to customers, whose average age was 43, responding to the reminder of their own mortality by splashing out on luxury cars.

“Many people witnessed people in their community dying from Covid and that made them think life can be short and you’d better live now rather than postpone until a later date,” said Müller-Ötvös.

“That has helped Rolls-Royce.”

He said the carmaker, owned by BMW, had also benefited from the restrictions the pandemic has placed on wealthy consumers’ opportunities to spend their money elsewhere.

“It is very much due to Covid that the entire luxury business is booming worldwide,” he said.

“People couldn’t travel a lot, they couldn’t invest a lot into luxury services … and there is quite a lot of money accumulated that is spent on luxury goods.”
He said sales had risen in every part of the world, an unusual trend, with Greater China and the Americas remaining the two biggest markets, each at 30% of sales.
No other manufacturer sold more cars for more than €250,000 (£208,000), he said. The Phantom model was the company’s biggest seller but its Cullinan SUV accounted for 30% of 2021 sales.

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/money/tech-an ... hp&pc=U531
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^Quote from article - He added that Brexit had caused unnecessary difficulties for Rolls-Royce because of restrictions on staff movement and the administrative burden of exporting, a problem for a carmaker that sends 90% of its British-made vehicles overseas.

“Brexit definitely didn’t make our life in any way easier,” he said.

"No, I imagine not" the last PM I would think wanted her cake and to eat it, at the expense of the country who departed, not too sweet how things turned out.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:06 pm ^Quote from article - He added that Brexit had caused unnecessary difficulties for Rolls-Royce because of restrictions on staff movement and the administrative burden of exporting, a problem for a carmaker that sends 90% of its British-made vehicles overseas.

“Brexit definitely didn’t make our life in any way easier,” he said.

"No, I imagine not" the last PM I would think wanted her cake and to eat it, at the expense of the country who departed, not too sweet how things turned out.
May just did what the population asked her to do same as Johnson.

They never said it’d be a walk in the park but long term they will have to see.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic