Cambodia to Introduce Lifetime Angkor Pass to Foreigners in 2022 (Ministry of Tourism)

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Special Discount on Angkor Wat Pass Prices Continues

Post by John Bingham »

cautious colin wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:26 pm I assume the lifetime pass is just for tourists, as there is supposed to be the free if 2 consecutive years in passport pass once they figure out procedures?
They have likely abandoned the free scheme because there is no money in it. This lifetime pass will probably replace it, and cost a lot. Unless you live near the temples I don't see how it could be any advantage.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:40 am
cautious colin wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:26 pm I assume the lifetime pass is just for tourists, as there is supposed to be the free if 2 consecutive years in passport pass once they figure out procedures?
They have likely abandoned the free scheme because there is no money in it. This lifetime pass will probably replace it, and cost a lot. Unless you live near the temples I don't see how it could be any advantage.
Yep, wouldn't surprise me... It was only 12 days ago that they mentioned it though. seems like a quick change of heart
4 Aug
Top Sopheak, spokesman for the Ministry of Tourism, said yesterday that while this is the government’s policy, the free-entry plan has not been implemented yet as officials are finalising the details.

“I think the government’s decision to allow foreign residents to visit the Angkor Wat area for free will be implemented in the near future.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:53 pm
why would a tourist need a lifetime pass? Wait till they come out with the cost before you say, "wow, cool"

No stats, but unlike Thailand where there is over 50% return visitors, doubt Cambodia its 10% ( excluding Chinese, Koreans and Vietnamese)
Lifetime Pass? How many times do you go to the same museum?
Boredom is like a shroud
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

cabron wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:04 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:53 pm
why would a tourist need a lifetime pass? Wait till they come out with the cost before you say, "wow, cool"

No stats, but unlike Thailand where there is over 50% return visitors, doubt Cambodia its 10% ( excluding Chinese, Koreans and Vietnamese)
Growing up in Washington DC, where there are many many museums, ( free for everyone) i would often go to the same one more than a few times/year,
Also many museum's throughout the world have new exhibits displayed.
Not so with the Angkor Park

The only times i have been to the park ( pre covid) in the past few years, was to photograph the sunrises/sunsets and back than a ticket was not needed for that
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Winner of the Stupid Comment of the Year.

Have you been to Angkor?

The thing about going to Angkor is you don't "go to the same museum," you could go twenty times and not visit the same temples twice.

There are HUNDREDS of temples - I've only seen about 60 of them, but I never get tired of it. There are also a lot of temples and complexes outside of the park that are included in the Angkor entry ticket, such as the Roulos Group and Beng Melea.

Going to Angkor is not like visiting a museum, you enter an ancient world in the forest with hundreds of buildings to explore - and for me, the sense of peace and calm is priceless.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

rozzieoz wrote:
Winner of the Stupid Comment of the Year.

Have you been to Angkor?

The thing about going to Angkor is you don't "go to the same museum," you could go twenty times and not visit the same temples twice.

There are HUNDREDS of temples - I've only seen about 60 of them, but I never get tired of it. There are also a lot of temples and complexes outside of the park that are included in the Angkor entry ticket, such as the Roulos Group and Beng Melea.

Going to Angkor is not like visiting a museum, you enter an ancient world in the forest with hundreds of buildings to explore - and for me, the sense of peace and calm is priceless.
They're still extremely similar. Unless you're a scholar appreciating/studying the different architectural styles from the various periods, it gets tiring. Same for going to the Hermitage, British Museum or Louvre. One can definitely get "templed out" while visiting, and all temples end up looking similar. It's thus of little value to 99% of visitors. Only perhaps scholars and those who live in Cambodia might consider it, depending on the price. It's still good to have the option though, kind of like season passes to museums, botanical gardens and so on.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:08 pm Unless you're a scholar appreciating/studying the different architectural styles from the various periods, it gets tiring.
I'm not a scholar. I'm just a normal person and I love going to the temples. I'm sure I'm not unique.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia to Introduce Lifetime Angkor Pass to Foreigners in 2022 (Ministry of Tourism)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE
Free Angkor and Koh Ker Passes for Foreigners Residing in Cambodia
AKP Phnom Penh, September 02, 2022 --

Foreigners residing in Cambodia for two years and over can now visit the Angkor Archaeological Park and the Temple of Koh Ker for free.

The move, which came into force on Sept. 1, was taken by the Royal Government to promote domestic tourism as well as grant an incentive to foreigners residing in Cambodia, the Angkor Enterprise, the state-owned institution in charge of Angkor income management, said in an announcement yesterday.

Concerned foreigners, including diplomatic officers, investors, officials of international organisations, foreigners working for private companies and enterprises, experts at ministries and institutions, both public and private, and their family members, can apply for a free admission to Angkor Archaeological Park and Koh Ker Temple once a year.

The request can be made via spass.angkorenterprise.gov.kh from Sept. 9, 2022 onward or directly to the Angkor Enterprise located in Treang village, Sangkat Slar Kram, Siem Reap provincial city, with necessary documents such as a copy of passport and visa and a new 4x6 photo.
https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/261182
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic