Moving to Phnom Penh and teaching English?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
joey.mike
Tourist
United States of America

Moving to Phnom Penh and teaching English?

Post by joey.mike »

Hello,
I have recently been considering a move to Cambodia. I have enough money to survive for a year or so, but after my money runs out I'll be needing a job. From what I understand a lot of native English speakers find jobs teaching in Cambodia.
I am wondering about the experience of those still living in Cambodia regarding the current job market in education? Has covid effected the ability of native speakers to move there and find a job? Do I need either a bachelor's degree or a TEFL certification to find a job?
Any advice would be very helpful, thank you.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh and teaching English?

Post by Bluenose »

My only advice would be to learn when to use use "effected" and when to use "affected" before teaching English to others ;o)
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

The first issue you will face is the Visa. In order to Stay in country linger than 2 months and work, you would need to enter the country on an E-type (Ordinary) Visa (often incorrectly called the Business Visa). The only way to obtain this currently is in advance from a Cambodian Embassy/Consulate, the criteria varies from Embassy to Embassy, but most require business/employment related supporting documentation from a Cambodian registered company.
Railroad
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Railroad »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:14 am In order to Stay in country linger than 2 months and work, you would need to enter the country on an E-type (Ordinary) Visa (often incorrectly called the Business Visa). The only way to obtain this currently is in advance from a Cambodian Embassy/Consulate...
[The DoI are going to allow travellers who enter the country on a T-type (Tourist) Visa or e-Visa (online Tourist Visa) issued in 2021 to apply for an EB (Business) or ER (Retirement) Extension of Stay (EOS) without the need to leave the country.
Applications must be made via a Visa Agency.]

What, has this been cancelled?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@Railroad , yes, that has been cancelled. Only travellers who entered up until 15th Nov on a Tourist Visa were eligible to convert.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Got a mate who came in on a T and planned to stay six months. Nope.

Totally fucked up his trip.
Only options is to leave and return on a T. Leave and apply for an E at an embassy, or overstay.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

No disrespect to the OP, as it’s a fairly open question, but I’m curious about what particular audience your teaching aspirations lean towards.

Having experienced some of the utterly atrocious teaching, directed towards our kids in the local schools over the past few years, I’d hope that ideas towards teaching are more than just a means towards ensuring a supply of food and drink after the first year is finished.
The students ultimately suffer, and the country has been somewhat awash with half-hearted teachers of many nationalities as it is. Competent teachers seem very much in the minority, here.

The same goes for those teaching English to an adult audience. It’s shocking to to see what passes as acceptable. Knowing how much effort is actually put into the job by a dedicated native English speaking teacher, compared to some of those just flitting through, it’s not a job I’d take on lightly.

It may just be a slip of the finger, and often folk dismiss the importance of writing English accurately, but many native speakers are unaware of the subtle yet important differences in spelling such words as-
Affected/effected
Where/ware

Or abbreviations and contractions such as
Would’ve (would have, not would of)

So, if your intent is to embark on an earnest teaching career, then more power to you. But if it’s just an easy means to a pay cheque*, then you’re just going to be lumped in with the rest of ‘em!

*yes, that’s the correct spelling
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

“Pay check”
People of the world, spice up your life.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Being native with 2 Mondays one Tuesday TEFL course doesn't make you a teacher. Thats why Thailand and Cambodia is very low on a EPI list, they hire unqualified "teachers" without qualification.
The opposite, top countries on the EPI dont hire natives, but hire their own competent qualified teachers with diploma in languages. And they actually speak another language beside their mother tongue, mostly 2 or more.

https://www.ef.com/wwen/epi/regions/asia/cambodia/
https://www.ef.com/wwen/epi/regions/asia/thailand/
https://www.ef.com/wwen/epi/
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:39 am No disrespect to the OP, as it’s a fairly open question, but I’m curious about what particular audience your teaching aspirations lean towards.

Having experienced some of the utterly atrocious teaching, directed towards our kids in the local schools over the past few years, I’d hope that ideas towards teaching are more than just a means towards ensuring a supply of food and drink after the first year is finished.
The students ultimately suffer, and the country has been somewhat awash with half-hearted teachers of many nationalities as it is. Competent teachers seem very much in the minority, here.

The same goes for those teaching English to an adult audience. It’s shocking to to see what passes as acceptable. Knowing how much effort is actually put into the job by a dedicated native English speaking teacher, compared to some of those just flitting through, it’s not a job I’d take on lightly.

It may just be a slip of the finger, and often folk dismiss the importance of writing English accurately, but many native speakers are unaware of the subtle yet important differences in spelling such words as-
Affected/effected
Where/ware

Or abbreviations and contractions such as
Would’ve (would have, not would of)

So, if your intent is to embark on an earnest teaching career, then more power to you. But if it’s just an easy means to a pay cheque*, then you’re just going to be lumped in with the rest of ‘em!

*yes, that’s the correct spelling
i can understand what you mean but is it that serious? If guy wants to work as a teacher he has to be super passionate about it ? he can teach until he doesn't want to anymore. Do people question other employment positions the way some seem to do to teachers? A job doesn't have to define who the person is. I do agree that teaching in Cambodia can be a fucked up experience due to the administration and lack of good benefits. I understand you may not take teaching English lightly but that doesn't mean everyone else has to have the same work ethic about a job.
I also agree it's the kids who suffer but wouldn't the people who are the decision makers be more responsible for hiring and all that goes with it?

If a school will hire him and turns out he doesn't want to work there anymore or feels deflated because of the administration or lack of services-- he can do what he wants. I wouldn't judge him any less.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic