Moving to Phnom Penh and teaching English?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Retired Sailor
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh and teaching English?

Post by Retired Sailor »

mannanman wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:28 am Got a mate who came in on a T and planned to stay six months. Nope.

Totally fucked up his trip.
Only options is to leave and return on a T. Leave and apply for an E at an embassy, or overstay.
He'll get away with overstaying for a year for lowly price of 3k at the end of the year via an agent and unlikely to be blacklisted.

I considered this option early into closed borders mode but decided might aswell fuck off home for a bit and see to the parents. Didn't think it'd be 2 years till they opened up again, regretted not overstaying especially considering it cost me basically 4k to get home all things considered. My friend didn't leave until the recent border opening, he paid 3k overstay and extra fees and is back already with a years visa in his passport, no problems entering or leaving for him as after the agency sorted it out.
Last edited by Retired Sailor on Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Retired Sailor wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:20 pm
mannanman wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:28 am Got a mate who came in on a T and planned to stay six months. Nope.

Totally fucked up his trip.
Only options is to leave and return on a T. Leave and apply for an E at an embassy, or overstay.
He'll get away with overstaying for a year for lowly price of 3k at the end of the year via an agent and unlikely to be blacklisted.

I considered this option early into closed borders mode but decided might aswell fuck off home for a bit and see to the parents. Didn't think it'd be 2 years till they opened up again, regretted not overstaying especially considering it cost me basically 4k to get home all things considered.
You would have had to pay for your trip home anyway.
I’ve not heard of anyone overstay 12 months and not get some ban.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

To the OP

Ignore all the negative and sometimes sanctimonious nonsense (Freightdog) in this thread.

Get a CELTA. Then head over. If you have a degree or relevant experience you might be able to teach subjects other than English.

Good luck.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:30 pm To the OP

Ignore all the negative and sometimes sanctimonious nonsense (Freightdog) in this thread.

Get a CELTA. Then head over. If you have a degree or relevant experience you might be able to teach subjects other than English.

Good luck.
To Khmu Nation,

Five weeks of study doesn't make a person a skilled teacher. If you'd been taught by 'CELTA' teachers all your life, where would you be now? Doing what?
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:35 pm

Good luck.
To Khmu Nation,

Five weeks of study doesn't make a person a skilled teacher. If you'd been taught by 'CELTA' teachers all your life, where would you be now? Doing what?

If you are so into 'quality' education for your kids this is what you need to:

Pack your small time life into suitcases and fly home with you kids. Then stick them in private school.

CELTA will give you more job opportunities.

But I will tell you what - listen to Kammekor he knows.

Forget the Celta. Go to university for 3 years, then do another year of training to get your PGCE.

Then rather than staying in your home country or heading out to Dubai or Saudi to earn $100,000 a year come to Cambodia and earn 9 bucks an hour at some badly run international school.

[Mod edit: no need for name calling]
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:44 pm

Good luck.
To Khmu Nation,

Pack your small time life into suitcases and fly home with you kids. Then stick them in private school.

Forget the Celta. Go to university for 3 years, then do another year of training to get your PGCE.

Then rather than staying in your home country or heading out to Dubai or Saudi to earn $100,000 a year come to Cambodia and earn 9 bucks an hour at some badly run international school.

Lovely rant.
No answer to my question though.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Good luck.
To Khmu Nation,

Exactly what I am doing, although not to move back to Dubai. :lol:
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:54 pm

Good luck.
To Khmu Nation,

Lovely rant.

Okay I will answer your question....[Mod edit: tone it down]

I have no idea where I would be as there is so much more to a good education than the qualifications of the teachers.

Most teachers at international schools in Cambodia don't have a Celta and aren't native speakers either.

Assuming the OP is a native speaker he should get a CELTA as it will give him an idea if teaching is for him and give him far more options when job hunting.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I was shocked when I first came to Cambodia by some of the people teaching here. People on drugs and drunk even during their workday, just showing up to get monies to support their addictions. No question the hiring standards need to be raised significantly and have more qualifications than skin color.

All that said, not sure why there is a need to lay any of that on the OP. With little information we have (that he saved up to support himself over 1 year), I'd venture that he is already better suited to teach than many others doing so.

As for the OPs questions, I know it was challenging for a while due to Covid. Someone else in here would be better suited to speak on the current job market. You don't need the degrees or certifications, however, having them could present better opportunities.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:07 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:54 pm

Good luck.
To Khmu Nation,

Lovely rant.

Okay I will answer your question....[Mod edit: tone it down]

I have no idea where I would be as there is so much more to a good education than the qualifications of the teachers.

Most teachers at international schools in Cambodia don't have a Celta and aren't native speakers either.

Assuming the OP is a native speaker he should get a CELTA as it will give him an idea if teaching is for him and give him far more options when job hunting.
I think our starting points are different. You advise a wanna be teacher in Cambodia, I have an opinion about good education in general.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic