Moving to Phnom Penh and teaching English?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh and teaching English?

Post by Bluenose »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:39 am No disrespect to the OP, as it’s a fairly open question, but I’m curious about what particular audience your teaching aspirations lean towards.
It may just be a slip of the finger, and often folk dismiss the importance of writing English accurately, but many native speakers are unaware of the subtle yet important differences in spelling such words as-
Affected/effected
Where/ware

Or abbreviations and contractions such as
Would’ve (would have, not would of)

So, if your intent is to embark on an earnest teaching career, then more power to you. But if it’s just an easy means to a pay cheque*, then you’re just going to be lumped in with the rest of ‘em!

*yes, that’s the correct spelling
As the old saying about spelling and punctuation goes, some people really know their shit and some people really know they're shit :D
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:39 am
Having experienced some of the utterly atrocious teaching, directed towards our kids in the local schools over the past few years, I’d hope that ideas towards teaching are more than just a means towards ensuring a supply of food and drink after the first year is finished.
The students ultimately suffer, and the country has been somewhat awash with half-hearted teachers of many nationalities as it is. Competent teachers seem very much in the minority, here.
On one hand you’re not wrong, but on the other I don’t think telling the less-than-perfect not to teach is going to magically fill the market with competent teachers.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:26 pm
Freightdog wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:39 am
Having experienced some of the utterly atrocious teaching, directed towards our kids in the local schools over the past few years, I’d hope that ideas towards teaching are more than just a means towards ensuring a supply of food and drink after the first year is finished.
The students ultimately suffer, and the country has been somewhat awash with half-hearted teachers of many nationalities as it is. Competent teachers seem very much in the minority, here.
On one hand you’re not wrong, but on the other I don’t think telling the less-than-perfect not to teach is going to magically fill the market with competent teachers.
No, it’s not. But if there’s one thing that’s maybe worse than no education, it’s teaching false information and knowledge.
It’s a situation that is repeated frequently, in many professions and arenas.

Somebody learns something completely wrong. Later, to learn the correct (thing), first you must unlearn something that’s possibly been reinforced over and over. It’s not a doubling of effort. It’s far more. Because something learned badly, but as a fundamental skill, is very difficult to break as a habit.

It’s not an easy problem to resolve. The only solution is sufficient supply of competent teaching and experience. Sadly, in an effort to fill vacancies, it’s often compromised. I would hope, then, that comments similar to mine might at least be taken on board, and that aspirants at least acknowledge their own limitations and are open to input from others.

From the negative reactions of some ‘teachers’ that I’ve encountered, though, it’s something of a forlorn hope.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:13 pm i can understand what you mean but is it that serious? If guy wants to work as a teacher he has to be super passionate about it ? he can teach until he doesn't want to anymore. Do people question other employment positions the way some seem to do to teachers? A job doesn't have to define who the person is. I do agree that teaching in Cambodia can be a fucked up experience due to the administration and lack of good benefits. I understand you may not take teaching English lightly but that doesn't mean everyone else has to have the same work ethic about a job.
I also agree it's the kids who suffer but wouldn't the people who are the decision makers be more responsible for hiring and all that goes with it?

If a school will hire him and turns out he doesn't want to work there anymore or feels deflated because of the administration or lack of services-- he can do what he wants. I wouldn't judge him any less.
I beg to differ. And yes, other employments (though, not all) and careers get questioned similarly.

Ultimately, the administration should be taking responsibility. Maybe this is the crux of the issue- an admin concerned purely with the commercial need to deliver the service, no matter how badly, to meet an obligation to deliver a service are likely to have discarded their initial obligation to do a job properly. I’m sure a great many people here have seen this on at least one occasion in their working career.
We might label it commercial pressure!

It then falls to those on the frontline to maintain a standard that their own bosses have decided is less important than maintaining cash flow, etc, etc.

As a parent, at every instance of poor teaching, I’m going to push back. Hence, my viewpoint.

It may seem like there should be an opportunity for someone to make a buck. I have no problem with that. If that opportunity comes at my expense and that of my kids’ education, then you can expect some criticism
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:53 pm
BklynBoy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:13 pm i can understand what you mean but is it that serious? If guy wants to work as a teacher he has to be super passionate about it ? he can teach until he doesn't want to anymore. Do people question other employment positions the way some seem to do to teachers? A job doesn't have to define who the person is. I do agree that teaching in Cambodia can be a fucked up experience due to the administration and lack of good benefits. I understand you may not take teaching English lightly but that doesn't mean everyone else has to have the same work ethic about a job.
I also agree it's the kids who suffer but wouldn't the people who are the decision makers be more responsible for hiring and all that goes with it?

If a school will hire him and turns out he doesn't want to work there anymore or feels deflated because of the administration or lack of services-- he can do what he wants. I wouldn't judge him any less.
I beg to differ. And yes, other employments (though, not all) and careers get questioned similarly.

Ultimately, the administration should be taking responsibility. Maybe this is the crux of the issue- an admin concerned purely with the commercial need to deliver the service, no matter how badly, to meet an obligation to deliver a service are likely to have discarded their initial obligation to do a job properly. I’m sure a great many people here have seen this on at least one occasion in their working career.
We might label it commercial pressure!

It then falls to those on the frontline to maintain a standard that their own bosses have decided is less important than maintaining cash flow, etc, etc.

As a parent, at every instance of poor teaching, I’m going to push back. Hence, my viewpoint.

It may seem like there should be an opportunity for someone to make a buck. I have no problem with that. If that opportunity comes at my expense and that of my kids’ education, then you can expect some criticism
I hear you and can empathize. Because your a parent-- I think it's super important to you. As someone passing thru or staying for as long as they want... They can possibly care less.
I just feel if someone wants to teach-- let them teach. Your right-- If I had a child, I may think differently. If I had a child, I would also be proactive and not police what everyone wants to do but I would be assertive in choosing what I feel is the right school for my child

Just realized how many "if's" i used. LOL. This is all theoretical to me. I don't have skin in the game but I do enjoy Cambodia and do want to see it grow
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:40 pm
No, it’s not. But if there’s one thing that’s maybe worse than no education, it’s teaching false information and knowledge.
In some situations sure - I wouldn’t want to get LASIK surgery from someone who’d learned from some random chancer - but I don’t think someone being taught to say “effect” instead of “affect” is worse than them not having an English teacher at all.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Chuck Borris wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:51 am Being native with 2 Mondays one Tuesday TEFL course doesn't make you a teacher. Thats why Thailand and Cambodia is very low on a EPI list, they hire unqualified "teachers" without qualification.
The opposite, top countries on the EPI dont hire natives, but hire their own competent qualified teachers with diploma in languages. And they actually speak another language beside their mother tongue, mostly 2 or more.

https://www.ef.com/wwen/epi/regions/asia/cambodia/
https://www.ef.com/wwen/epi/regions/asia/thailand/
https://www.ef.com/wwen/epi/
The focus on 'native' is just silly. A bilingual teacher, skilled (and I mean SKILLED) in both Khmer and English would be of much more value.
Most 'native' speakers teaching English have no knowledge about Khmer language at all, thus being unaware of the differences between the languages (many many many) and the pitfalls for their students.

I've been trained as a teacher and have worked as a highschool teacher until I was 39 and it took me 4 years fulltime (2nd grade degree) plus 3 years part time (1st grade degree) plus two years part time (second subject degree) to earn my degrees.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:53 pm If guy wants to work as a teacher he has to be super passionate about it ? he can teach until he doesn't want to anymore. Do people question other employment positions the way some seem to do to teachers? A job doesn't have to define who the person is.
Not passionate, just skilled
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:22 pm
In some situations sure - I wouldn’t want to get LASIK surgery from someone who’d learned from some random chancer - but I don’t think someone being taught to say “effect” instead of “affect” is worse than them not having an English teacher at all.
Likewise, I do mind who flies the plane. In Your Money Your Life (YMYL) professions I wouldn't want to be in the hands of someone who doesn't just wing it or learn as he/she goes.
But does teaching English as a foreign language belong in this group?

If so, run-of-the-mill English schools here had better up their salaries to a level where highly qualified individuals might actually be interested.
I'd rather have an OK English class by a less-than-perfect but enthusiastic native speaker than none at all.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

yongchi wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:01 pm
nerdlinger wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:22 pm
Likewise, I do mind who flies the plane. In Your Money Your Life (YMYL) professions I wouldn't want to be in the hands of someone who doesn't just wing it or learn as he/she goes.
But does teaching English as a foreign language belong in this group?

If so, run-of-the-mill English schools here had better up their salaries to a level where highly qualified individuals might actually be interested.
I'd rather have an OK English class by a less-than-perfect but enthusiastic native speaker than none at all.
Since education determines a lot for someone's life I don't think enthusiasm is enough to qualify as a teacher.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic