Bear Attacks Loggers in Battambang Province

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Bear Attacks Loggers in Battambang Province

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

December 29, 2021
One seriously injured in freak bear attack

Four loggers were attacked by a bear and one was left severely injured and close to death, while the other three loggers escaped unharmed.

The attack happened on the morning of December 28, In the forest at the head of a stream in O’Krouch Village, Ta Tok Commune, Samlot District, Battambang.

Samlot District Inspector Men Rim identified the victim as Sam Sophea, a 24-year-old male. Sophea was bitten in the head, arms, and legs by the bear. Sophea sustained severe injuries. The other three loggers were identified as Som Sin, Sam Da, and Sam Doeun. The three escaped from the ordeal unharmed.

“According to preliminary information that I received, maybe they went to cut down the forest in that area. After they went into the forest, ferocious bears bite and chased them, injuring and almost killing them.”, Inspector Rim said.

According to the authorities and locals, there have been cases of bears chasing people in the area in the past. Whenever they have to go into the forest to hunt or log, they had to go in groups due to the presence of the bears.

The authorities are still looking into the above case and are warning locals to be careful whenever they go into the forest.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50997082/o ... ar-attack/

Black bear photo taken by camera trap in Samlot district, Battambang province.
post300216.html#p300216
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Bear Attacks Loggers in Battambang Province

Post by atst »

My girlies solution put all the tigers and bears in the zoo so people can walk in the mountains and go to the zoo to see them, yes I did point out the mountains were thier homes but gave up and went back to talking to the wall :facepalm:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

atst wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:21 am My girlies solution put all the tigers and bears in the zoo so people can walk in the mountains and go to the zoo to see them, yes I did point out the mountains were thier homes but gave up and went back to talking to the wall :facepalm:
Sell penis to Chinese, make good business!
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Isn't that what we're already doing? Less than 4000 tigers left in the wild but more than 10000 living in captivity in USA alone. Crazy shit
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Mother Natures answer to prevent logging?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Arget wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:47 am Mother Natures answer to prevent logging?
Agreed. A futile stand but at the moment I am cheering for the bears.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Sun Bears are "the most dangerous animal in SEA" but that is only if don't count Australia as part of Asia.

Every Aussie regards it as his sacred duty to alert their overseas visitors to the ever present danger of Drop Bears, a little-studied relative of the more common Koala, when venturing out into the great Australian gum tree jungles.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

atst wrote:My girlies solution put all the tigers and bears in the zoo so people can walk in the mountains and go to the zoo to see them, yes I did point out the mountains were thier homes but gave up and went back to talking to the wall :facepalm:
I'm often shocked that this is the general way for thinking for many. I've heard this countless times: "They're dangerous/endangered animals, so we should take them all and out them in zoos to protect them/people." Explaining that habitat can also be protected (for both animals and human visitors) seems to fall on deaf ears, or at the very least be an alien concept for a good 70%. I show pictures and explain how where I'm from, it's quite common to see various species of bears, deer and various other animals while hiking and that it's not inherently dangerous, it boggles their minds.

Either way, good to see some bears are still out there.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:39 am
atst wrote:My girlies solution put all the tigers and bears in the zoo so people can walk in the mountains and go to the zoo to see them, yes I did point out the mountains were thier homes but gave up and went back to talking to the wall :facepalm:
I'm often shocked that this is the general way for thinking for many. I've heard this countless times: "They're dangerous/endangered animals, so we should take them all and out them in zoos to protect them/people." Explaining that habitat can also be protected (for both animals and human visitors) seems to fall on deaf ears, or at the very least be an alien concept for a good 70%. I show pictures and explain how where I'm from, it's quite common to see various species of bears, deer and various other animals while hiking and that it's not inherently dangerous, it boggles their minds.

Either way, good to see some bears are still out there.
Habitat protection is only delaying the inevitable. The continuing population growth needs to be addressed (currently the elephant in the room) or else habitats will be built on to house, or be ploughed under to feed, the ever growing global population. ‘Wildlife’ will have to be viewed in the confines of zoos.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Mods, we need a more accurate topic heading.

Loggers Attack Bears in Battambang Province

Chad is right. ^^ but how do we limit population growth?
I suspect we are starting to see the beginnings of the answer.

Remember Malthus?
Well, he did get a few population timelines wrong - but i believe his conclusions from his experiments with rats were spot on.
He put a small number of rats in a closed environment, with a finite quantity of resources to sustain them.
The rats bred up to optimum population, and then kept going. That was obviously not sustainable.

He found the two factors that inevitably limited the rat's population growth were - conflict and disease.
For the first half of my life after being taught this in 3rd year high school, i believed it would probably be war that inevitably limited the human population on this planet of finite resources.
But for quite a while now i have realised it will most probably be disease.

And surprisingly, but with a sublime poetic justice, it is the wild animals that are kicking back at us with those very diseases.
Ask the bear's friends, the bats.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic