Positive test on arrival....

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Raggepepsi57
Expatriate
Sweden

Positive test on arrival....

Post by Raggepepsi57 »

Does anybody here know what really will happen if you test positive for covid on arrival? Tried to google it, but did only find this:

"If the traveler tests positive for COVID-19 on arrival, they will be admitted to a treatment facility designated by the Ministry of Health for monitoring and treatment. The conditions in these centers can be very basic"
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Positive test on arrival....

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Related issue also, what happens to you if someone else on the plane tests positive?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

If you test positive on arrival you will be sent to a dedicated Government approved quarantine/treatment facility, for foreigners this is usually the National Centre for Tuberculosis and Leprosy, and yes, the facilities are basic.

If you have your own comprehensive, private health insurance then you can try to get moved to a private facility ie. Intercare Medical Centre, Royal Phnom Penh Hospital. Their rates are ridiculously high though.

If you are normally resident in Cambodia and have a suitable private residence, you can request home quarantine although I'm yet to hear of any foreigners successfully achieving this after testing positive on arrival.

You will have an initial confirmatory PCR test, and must test negative twice in a row to be released.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:56 pm Related issue also, what happens to you if someone else on the plane tests positive?
By all accounts, nothing, as long as you test negative you are free to go.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:21 pm
If you have your own comprehensive, private health insurance then you can try to get moved to a private facility ie. Intercare Medical Centre, Royal Phnom Penh Hospital. Their rates are ridiculously high though.
One of our expats got covid in country and needed to go to the government treatment center. Health insurance covered their 2 week stay in Royal Phnom Penh Hospital instead and the cost was $20,000 for the stay (I think 14 days)

Ambulance transfer was charged at $800!!!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yep, not cheap, and most insurance companies will do their best to wiggle out of having to cover your stay at one of the approved private hospitals.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:21 pm If you test positive on arrival you will be sent to a dedicated Government approved quarantine/treatment facility, for foreigners this is usually the National Centre for Tuberculosis and Leprosy, and yes, the facilities are basic.

If you are normally resident in Cambodia and have a suitable private residence, you can request home quarantine although I'm yet to hear of any foreigners successfully achieving this after testing positive on arrival.

You will have an initial confirmatory PCR test, and must test negative twice in a row to be released.
If you test positive after a pre-departure test, do they take you away or just tell you to go back to wherever you are living?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:04 pm Yep, not cheap, and most insurance companies will do their best to wiggle out of having to cover your stay at one of the approved private hospitals.
Yeah, I think I'll get in touch with my local broker for my expat medical insurance to clarify the procedure for hospital admission.

I guess they would prefer you call them first before you first go to any hospital rather than go to say RPP and then find insurance won't pay. So would be nice to know in advance that I could go to Royal Phnom Penh hospital or not if I got serious covid complications.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:15 pm
If you test positive after a pre-departure test, do they take you away or just tell you to go back to wherever you are living?
You are contacted via phone by the MoH to discuss options, assessed on a case-by-case basis, those with a suitable private residence are generally permitted to self-isolate at home now.
Raggepepsi57
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Raggepepsi57 »

MoH in KHMER TIMES december 7....

"All passengers must pass the preliminary stages of testing against Covid-19, including temperature checks and rapid testing by antigen,” he said.

He added that those whose rapid test return positive results for Covid-19 must then take a PCR test at the airports dedicated facility, which has been set up by the competent authorities.

If the PCR test shows that the passenger is positive, but they are asymptomatic, or describing only mild symptoms, they may discuss the possibility of quarantining at their own homes, or other suitable places,” he added.

Bun Heng noted if they did not have a suitable place to self-quarantine, they may be required to do so at a hotel designated by the Ministry of Health. However, the cost of such would be borne by the new arrival"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic