Buying rapid antigen tests

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Buying rapid antigen tests

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

:stir:
Doc67 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:47 am Here's the post

post483549.html#p483549

It's the NIPH who do an antibody test for an extra $20. Maybe they can give you a definitive test.
They only conduct the serology test in conjunction with the PCR test, and only for people with a flight itinerary, so if not travelling but want to get tested you'll need to be able to show a flight itinerary, which is simple enough to achieve without actually booking flights. $150, passport & flight itinerary, next day results.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:08 pm :stir:
Doc67 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:47 am Here's the post

post483549.html#p483549

It's the NIPH who do an antibody test for an extra $20. Maybe they can give you a definitive test.
They only conduct the serology test in conjunction with the PCR test, and only for people with a flight itinerary, so if not travelling but want to get tested you'll need to be able to show a flight itinerary, which is simple enough to achieve without actually booking flights. $150, passport & flight itinerary, next day results.
Do they do a proper test, i.e. list out what antibodies are present, or is that $20 add-on just another rapid antigen you can get for $3?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:13 pm
Do they do a proper test, i.e. list out what antibodies are present, or is that $20 add-on just another rapid antigen you can get for $3?
They take bloods, it is an IgM serology Antibody test.
(A rapid antigen test is not an antibody test).
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

timmydownawell thank you for sharing your account of the situation. I would like to believe that your diagnosis of the vaccines are working for you. Also I am not saying that you are wrong in saying that you had suspected having been infected with the Covid19 virus. But also with taking precortion measure's against the hope of not being infected by the virus, and being sick at the time can have one's mind working overtime with thoughts and worries of one's wellbeing, and also others around you.
To get an illness such has stomach upset and the cold type condition's are easy come about here in Cambodia. Getting oneself hot, drinking bad water or eating bad food are common place for many of us. Sometimes I wish I had not started the thread "curry club", I have eaten many curry dishes in my own country, also India and Sri Lanka, but even so, I have shit and puked more time's then anywhere else eating the curries in Phnom Penh.
The apartment building we're I stay in the Chbar Ampov has had 6 tenents who have had Covid19, one young mother has cought the virus twice, I think she enjoyed telling my partner so when she knocked on our door, unmarked. There are 18 apartments altogether in the building. It makes me wonder why they had cought Covid19. But it is easy to see, with the interactions between themselves without distancing or wearing face masks. Most of them isolated and we're treated at home, that way was no doubt the safe option then going to Koh Pitch at the time, also they have family to care for. The police came to take them for testing and what medicine they might be given, also the police came to provide them with 3 hot meals, and drinking water on a daily basis.
One question, if you suspected the Covid19 virus, why did you hold off official testing at that time?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:32 am timmydownawell thank you for sharing your account of the situation. I would like to believe that your diagnosis of the vaccines are working for you. Also I am not saying that you are wrong in saying that you had suspected having been infected with the Covid19 virus. But also with taking precortion measure's against the hope of not being infected by the virus, and being sick at the time can have one's mind working overtime with thoughts and worries of one's wellbeing, and also others around you.
To get an illness such has stomach upset and the cold type condition's are easy come about here in Cambodia. Getting oneself hot, drinking bad water or eating bad food are common place for many of us. Sometimes I wish I had not started the thread "curry club", I have eaten many curry dishes in my own country, also India and Sri Lanka, but even so, I have shit and puked more time's then anywhere else eating the curries in Phnom Penh.
The apartment building we're I stay in the Chbar Ampov has had 6 tenents who have had Covid19, one young mother has cought the virus twice, I think she enjoyed telling my partner so when she knocked on our door, unmarked. There are 18 apartments altogether in the building. It makes me wonder why they had cought Covid19. But it is easy to see, with the interactions between themselves without distancing or wearing face masks. Most of them isolated and we're treated at home, that way was no doubt the safe option then going to Koh Pitch at the time, also they have family to care for. The police came to take them for testing and what medicine they might be given, also the police came to provide them with 3 hot meals, and drinking water on a daily basis.
One question, if you suspected the Covid19 virus, why did you hold off official testing at that time?
The thing is - and I've probably said it before - that many of us probably had it without realising. I made an effort by buying a thermometer and frequently checking my temperature over the past year, and it was always normal. No cough, no headaches, sense of smell and taste both fine.

There was one day a couple of months ago when I did have a fever just for a single day, with an upset stomach, which passed by the next day. I didn't believe that was test-worthy.

But my arrhythmia and general level of weariness and aches makes me wonder if I was positive, but asymptomatic, at some point along the way (even prior to my hospital visit last year), despite not having felt sick. I suffer from fibromyalgia so had noticed my aches had got worse this year and had just put it down to that. Now, who knows.

You can still get long covid from an asymptomatic infection. Would be good if the $3 antibody tests could confirm you've had it but they can't. Not going to spring $100+ for the test that can, though.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Retired Sailor
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Retired Sailor »

:beer1:
timmydownawell wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:12 am Anyway of course it's (belatedly) occurred to me that my positive IgG test may just mean my vaccinations worked. I wish I knew for sure whether I'd had Covid, I've felt so generally crappy for months. If it just means my 2 x Sinovac and 1 x AZ were effective I guess that's good news at least.

Carry on.
I've had 2x AZ and 1x Sino, took antigen blood test yesterday, negative. Make of that what you will
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Retired Sailor wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:22 am :beer1:
timmydownawell wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:12 am Anyway of course it's (belatedly) occurred to me that my positive IgG test may just mean my vaccinations worked. I wish I knew for sure whether I'd had Covid, I've felt so generally crappy for months. If it just means my 2 x Sinovac and 1 x AZ were effective I guess that's good news at least.

Carry on.
I've had 2x AZ and 1x Sino, took antigen blood test yesterday, negative. Make of that what you will
Antigen test = do you have Covid now (nasal swab)
Antibody test = do you have antibodies from vaccinations or previous infection (blood test)

Did you take the right one?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I haven't had a single COVID test and don't really understand the difference between antigens, antibodies, lateral flows, PCR's or any of these medical terms really.

I've been mildly sick a few times since this whole pandemic started with various symptoms, some associated with COVID, some not directly, but I've always wondered if I had Covid or not. However, I'm a big believer in ignorance. I believe the placebo effect works both ways. Once you know for sure that you're infected with a virus that could potentially kill you, just that knowledge alone can make you much sicker, as opposed to simply ignoring it. It's the placebo effect in reverse.

It would be a miracle to be honest if I hadn't come into contact with COVID by now. I think most of us have probably had it by now. If we haven't yet, it's just a matter of time. Omicron is coming for all of us. But again, unless I'm so sick that hospitalisation starts to look like a probability, I just don't really want to know.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of hate for being irresponsible and not doing the right thing by getting tested so that I can quarantine if I'm positive, but for a long time, as far as I was aware, those who tested positive either had to pay thousands to quarantine in designated hotels or were carted off to government treatment centres like Olympic Stadium for several weeks. The inability to quarantine in your own home is hardly a great incentive to get tested, let's be honest.

I've always had my doubts about just how effective quarantining is anyway. I can only see it being effective if it were part of a mass lock-down measure where everyone quarantined together. Sporadic, random quarantines for only those who happen to have gone for a test and happen to have tested positive makes no sense to me.

This might not be the right attitude, but it's been my attitude from the start and I'm still knocking around...
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Like I mentioned the 6 who had the Covid19 virus in our apartment building, all had quarantined at home if they had the amount of rooms to do so, when both parents of one family got it one of them had to quarantine at Koh Pich. Because they need a room each, they actually have two rooms, and in the end refused the government quarantine, by putting the kids in one room, the mother in the second, and he sleeping in the kitchen. Because they received free medicine and food, it came to be like that when the police came to take the mother for tests, but they locked the stairwell door's so the seven police officers could not get in the apartment building, when the rain came down heavy the police left, a few days after the family left too.
What is the process for a western person in that position? Do they pay like the ones who quarantine when ariving in the country?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

one thing with the current stats and the fact they are misleading on how many people have had, have covid:
with the hme tests> if they test positive they sure as hell aren't going to tell anyone outside their home
and be willing to bet even positive and no symptoms or very slight ones, they will head off to work rather than have no income
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic