Prices for Oxy and other meds + surgery

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
wylde
Tourist
Australia

Re: Prices for Oxy and other meds + surgery

Post by wylde »

Sambodia wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:55 am Its difficult but possible to find oxycodone in Cambodia, but its STUPID expensive, approximately $1/mg, i.e. $40/40mg. You're much better off buying morphine (oral/IV is available), dihydrocodeine, tramadol or diacetylmorphine which are all dirt cheap in Cambo and will substitute fine for oxycodone given the right dosage- just us a MME (morphine milligram equivalent) calculator. Opiates are opiates and are largely fungible notwithstanding some differences in half-life, side-effects, etc

Thanks for your post, it's very helpful.

$1 per mg is the street price for Oxy here. :shock:

However, that's the answer I've been after. I'm not interested in IV anything. I'm responsible with oral meds but who knows what'll happen if I start whacking up the stuff. Morphine would be fine, however, it's short acting compared to the extended release Oxy. Still, it'll do. Do you happen to know what they're worth, and if it's readily available?

Diacetylmorphine, according to Google, is plain Heroin, I think I'd prefer to stay away from that. The other two things you mentioned aren't strong enough. I saw somewhere that Vietnam carries Norspan(?), an opiate transdermal patch that supplies slow release Fentanyl(?) through the skin, any info on those?

Do you know of other that may be available?
Sambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Sambodia »

wylde wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:36 pm
Sambodia wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:55 am Its difficult but possible to find oxycodone in Cambodia, but its STUPID expensive, approximately $1/mg, i.e. $40/40mg. You're much better off buying morphine (oral/IV is available), dihydrocodeine, tramadol or diacetylmorphine which are all dirt cheap in Cambo and will substitute fine for oxycodone given the right dosage- just us a MME (morphine milligram equivalent) calculator. Opiates are opiates and are largely fungible notwithstanding some differences in half-life, side-effects, etc

Thanks for your post, it's very helpful.

$1 per mg is the street price for Oxy here. :shock:

However, that's the answer I've been after. I'm not interested in IV anything. I'm responsible with oral meds but who knows what'll happen if I start whacking up the stuff. Morphine would be fine, however, it's short acting compared to the extended release Oxy. Still, it'll do. Do you happen to know what they're worth, and if it's readily available?

Diacetylmorphine, according to Google, is plain Heroin, I think I'd prefer to stay away from that. The other two things you mentioned aren't strong enough. I saw somewhere that Vietnam carries Norspan(?), an opiate transdermal patch that supplies slow release Fentanyl(?) through the skin, any info on those?

Do you know of other that may be available?
How much oxy are you on per day? Unless you're on a very high dose, Dihydrocodeine should be fine. I used to take oxy daily and could switch to Dihydrocodeine with no problems.

I don't recall pricing for morphine, but believe pricing was reasonable and its available. I've never seen fentanyl patches in Cambodia, but you could try Pharmacie de la Gare, The pharmacy at Calmette Hospital, or the pharmacy at the Khmer Soviet friendship hospital as they have more variety than the typical corner pharmacy.

Those are the main opiates/opioids I've seen for sale except of course for the high-purity china white Heroin being sold on the street and the actual opium that's also widely available
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Those are the main opiates/opioids I've seen for sale except of course for the high-purity china white Heroin being sold on the street and the actual opium that's also widely available.

This is my 20th year in Cambodia. I've never seen or heard of anyone buying/selling/smoking opium here during that time.
Sambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Sambodia »

Cooldude wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:50 am Those are the main opiates/opioids I've seen for sale except of course for the high-purity china white Heroin being sold on the street and the actual opium that's also widely available.

This is my 20th year in Cambodia. I've never seen or heard of anyone buying/selling/smoking opium here during that time.
Well you must not have been looking very hard, or you're not very good at searching. I've bought it from the bars that sell cannabis (one of which was in the news lately), happy pizza places, lakeside, tuk-tuks... its around
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

yawn
scratch
mumble
nod
face first into dinner, slowly
wylde
Tourist
Australia

Post by wylde »

Sambodia wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:19 am How much oxy are you on per day? Unless you're on a very high dose, Dihydrocodeine should be fine. I used to take oxy daily and could switch to Dihydrocodeine with no problems.
160mg, so it'll be about 240mg of MS Contin (Morphine)
I can probably get by with a little less, but I need to make sure I'll be covered if I begin to suffer.
Sambodia wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:19 am The pharmacy at Calmette Hospital, or the pharmacy at the Khmer Soviet friendship hospital as they have more variety than the typical corner pharmacy.
They've all been sent emails so I'm just waiting for the replies. I'll post the results.
Sambodia wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:19 am Those are the main opiates/opioids I've seen for sale except of course for the high-purity china white Heroin being sold on the street and the actual opium that's also widely available
While it may work well or even be the best thing ever, it doesn't interest me.

Thanks for your help.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

dont expect any replies to emails<

Load "telegram" and message them that way
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
wylde
Tourist
Australia

Post by wylde »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:48 pm dont expect any replies to emails<

Is that something commonly used in Cambodia? I haven't seen it advertised on any of the hospital/pharmacy contact pages.
Ucare replied within a few hours three times to their emails. So far, they're the only ones of at least 10 to reply.

I was thinking of waiting a few days into the new year, and just phoning them directly. Calls aren't expensive these days, but I'll won't knock back something that's free,
wylde
Tourist
Australia

Post by wylde »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:48 pm
The only hospitals or pharmacies I can find that promote a Telegram option are Royal Phnom Penh Hospital and Sunrise Japan Hospital.

I'll make some calls next week.

Happy new year!
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

wylde wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:13 pm
kgbagent wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:10 pm OP have you looked into India? Lots of people are going there now for excellent health treatments.
Well, I have a little, actually. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it's cheap enough and it appears as though meds are also available and affordable.
I noticed there were a lot of articles online about the FDA and the Indian government working together in 2019/20 to clean up pharmaceutical opiates. Do you know if they're still easy to access or is your suggestion just based on advertising for medical tourism? I guess I'll be sending off even more emails.

Cheers
A friend from PP had chronic back pain to the point he could hardly walk - so he went and priced the operation in Malaysia, Bangkok and PP and got horrific quotes. He researched India (Bangalore from memory) and got some way better prices so he went. Visited several hospitals that he was impressed with but 2 of them said the operation had a low % of long term success. Depressed in a taxi he was talking to the driver who said his mother had a similar problem but she got stem cell treatment and was way better. The driver rang his mother for the hospital name and took my friend there - he ended up getting stem treatment over a few weeks for about 7k. Two years later he is like new and can swim a km a day without pain.

Hence I suggested India
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic