17 years ago on phuket at this time

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

17 years ago on phuket at this time

Post by phuketrichard »

cars were pulling up on our front yard and the people were asking if there was a way for them to go higher up the mountain behind our house.
this is filmed at the kamala sunwing resort 2 kms from our house

Kamala

Patong

Koh Lak
more than 500 meters from the beach
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: 17 years ago on phuket at this time

Post by Patcan »

Boxing Day tsunami....Was at roughly 9 am if I remember correctly...I was in BKK at the time....The early deathtoll was something like 50....And went up to 5000 or so
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I missed the spectacle by a few weeks, I had visited Phuket for Father's Day and was freezing my ass off in Europe when the tsunami hit on Boxing Day. My hotel remained intact and I got quite a big discount the next time I staid there.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

I was sleeping on the beach close to Krabi. Locals woke me up to come look at the ocean. It was confusing, I could hear thunder but the sky was blue.

Then I saw the stabilisator of a sailboat sticking out of a wave, never seen that before or after.

Eventually someone shouted Run! Run! and so we did..

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

I was on a plane and headed outta dodge (Phuket), prolly the last one out. Fortunately, things turned out in my favor in a very unplanned way that day. I had been transferred into the JW Marriott Sales team and something was wrong with my paperwork and I had been railroaded out because the Phuket site refused to pay my transfer fee to my old site in Park City, Utah. It was not until I woke up in the Park City Marriott in the middle of the night on the 26th that I saw what I missed and I counted myself lucky that I only lost a brand new Korean moto. I re hired at the Las Vegas site and made the best of it. No sense going after Marriott in a lawsuit after all this and I still count myself lucky to have just gotten outta the way. The bullshit I endured stuck in me for a long time and I had a kill list all made up but time diffuses all that and unless I see one of those motherf'rs in person again that f'd me it's all good.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

bossho wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:45 pm I was on a plane and headed outta dodge (Phuket), prolly the last one out. Fortunately, things turned out in my favor in a very unplanned way that day. I had been transferred into the JW Marriott Sales team and something was wrong with my paperwork and I had been railroaded out because the Phuket site refused to pay my transfer fee to my old site in Park City, Utah. It was not until I woke up in the Park City Marriott in the middle of the night on the 26th that I saw what I missed and I counted myself lucky that I only lost a brand new Korean moto. I re hired at the Las Vegas site and made the best of it. No sense going after Marriott in a lawsuit after all this and I still count myself lucky to have just gotten outta the way. The bullshit I endured stuck in me for a long time and I had a kill list all made up but time diffuses all that and unless I see one of those motherf'rs in person again that f'd me it's all good.
Please get some sleep, there will be a day tomorrow and a new year soon, chill :)
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

ItWasntMe wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:54 pm
bossho wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:45 pm I was on a plane and headed outta dodge (Phuket), prolly the last one out. Fortunately, things turned out in my favor in a very unplanned way that day. I had been transferred into the JW Marriott Sales team and something was wrong with my paperwork and I had been railroaded out because the Phuket site refused to pay my transfer fee to my old site in Park City, Utah. It was not until I woke up in the Park City Marriott in the middle of the night on the 26th that I saw what I missed and I counted myself lucky that I only lost a brand new Korean moto. I re hired at the Las Vegas site and made the best of it. No sense going after Marriott in a lawsuit after all this and I still count myself lucky to have just gotten outta the way. The bullshit I endured stuck in me for a long time and I had a kill list all made up but time diffuses all that and unless I see one of those motherf'rs in person again that f'd me it's all good.
Please get some sleep, there will be a day tomorrow and a new year soon, chill :)
...been sleeping great, but if you think I am going to totally forget what those cunts at Marriott Phuket did to me you re f' d in the head son. Just like if you f me hard like that things get rough and suddenly it's an f you and an f me world out there pilgrim and keep your little hissy comments down because you were not there, why did you bother sprouting up at all sweetheart?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

bossho wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:06 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:54 pm
...been sleeping great, but if you think I am going to totally forget what those cunts at Marriott Phuket did to me you re f' d in the head son. Just like if you f me hard like that things get rough and suddenly it's an f you and an f me world out there pilgrim and keep your little hissy comments down because you were not there, why did you bother sprouting up at all sweetheart?
Look pumpkin, this is a thread about a tsunami that killed 300000 people, nobody gives a shit about you.
MG3
Expatriate

Post by MG3 »

Sometimes the boss doesn't like you and you get fired or transferred. It's life. No need for a kill list. I doubt Marriott had promised him a job for life in Phuket.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Most people on Phuket have forgotten, many weren't even born when it happened and it's illegal to talk about it in public as it embarrasses the fascist junta.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic